User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,474
Trials on a dirt bike

I want a trials bike, I really do, I think I'd enjoy that sort of competition much more than enduro racing and I love building my technical skills.

That being said money is kinda tight to be splurging on one at this moment, maybe next year. I have huge respect for Graham Jarvis and Kyle Redmond and how they can seemingly ride trials style on a full sized dirt bike.

So does anyone else enjoy punishing themselves and their machine doing what it ain't supposed to?

Any tips? Anyone wanna give me a trials bike?

Can you compete in the NM series on a dirt bike?

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Start by installing good radial trials tires. Reserch some trials riding techniques.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Can you compete in the NM series on a dirt bike?
NMTA welcomes riders on dirt bikes to ALMOST all our events. Let me explain: our home area in the winter, San Ysidro Trials Area, is BLM land and the club's special use permit stipulates that only trials machines will be used out on the loop and in the sections. We've had people ride their DS bikes into the area, park, and watch the fun; that's fine because they're street-legal. We've tried to get an exception for dirt bikes with trials tires but it hasn't really flown successfully. We really don't want to push the issue--the area has been available to NMTA under one special use permit or another since the 1980's, and there's a lot of pressure on BLM from other motorized and non-motorized user groups to change the status quo. We really don't want to go there--the area really isn't appropriate for other motorized, and non-motorized is the proverbial camel nose into the tent.

In our other areas there are no such stipulations from landowners at this time, though certainly private land owners could set some if they wanted to and we'd have to deal with it. So the events in the Santa Fe and Carson National forests and other BLM land such as Haystack Mountain are indeed open to dirt bikes.
ridenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
eddiefaulkner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Our clubs around here started an offroad class for enduro bikes at the trials events. I hope it takes root and evolves into two lines of difficulty. Ive enjoyed it more than riding my trials bike. Turning radius is the limiting factor. We have even been routed up some of the expert obstacles/lines.
eddiefaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
NMTA welcomes riders on dirt bikes to ALMOST all our events. Let me explain: our home area in the winter, San Ysidro Trials Area, is BLM land and the club's special use permit stipulates that only trials machines will be used out on the loop and in the sections. We've had people ride their DS bikes into the area, park, and watch the fun; that's fine because they're street-legal. We've tried to get an exception for dirt bikes with trials tires but it hasn't really flown successfully. We really don't want to push the issue--the area has been available to NMTA under one special use permit or another since the 1980's, and there's a lot of pressure on BLM from other motorized and non-motorized user groups to change the status quo. We really don't want to go there--the area really isn't appropriate for other motorized, and non-motorized is the proverbial camel nose into the tent.

In our other areas there are no such stipulations from landowners at this time, though certainly private land owners could set some if they wanted to and we'd have to deal with it. So the events in the Santa Fe and Carson National forests and other BLM land such as Haystack Mountain are indeed open to dirt bikes.
Right on, that is great information! Land use is very important, I hope all the best for ya'll and the generations to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiefaulkner
Our clubs around here started an offroad class for enduro bikes at the trials events. I hope it takes root and evolves into two lines of difficulty. Ive enjoyed it more than riding my trials bike. Turning radius is the limiting factor. We have even been routed up some of the expert obstacles/lines.
Sounds awesome! Where are the pictures?

Here is an inmate who posted in racing in the KOM thread. Good stuff!

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 08:17 PM
Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
--- Edit, damn 205'd while typing. That's what happens when you grab breakfast in the middle of a post ---

Have you had a look at the King of the Motos thread. There's a guy already training for next year on his KTM. If you don't feel like reading the whole thread, check this one out http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=116 . It's not a trials event, but it's practically exactly what your referring to.

I think that as EnduroX gains exposure and popularity there will be a an increase in interest in gaining bike handling skill through trials riding. And who wouldn't want to be able to control their dirt bike better on tough terrain? Imagine the energy savings gained if your able to finesse your bike over obstacles instead of taking the brute force approach. Braaap!

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
--- Edit, damn 205'd while typing. That's what happens when you grab breakfast in the middle of a post ---

Have you had a look at the King of the Motos thread. There's a guy already training for next year on his KTM. If you don't feel like reading the whole thread, check this one out http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=116 . It's not a trials event, but it's practically exactly what your referring to.

I think that as EnduroX gains exposure and popularity there will be a an increase in interest in gaining bike handling skill through trials riding. And who wouldn't want to be able to control their dirt bike better on tough terrain? Imagine the energy savings gained if your able to finesse your bike over obstacles instead of taking the brute force approach. Braaap!

- Ken
I had to look at your location, on account of the 12 hour time difference and all.

Improving one's bike handling certainly can't hurt anything, that's for sure.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
trc
Tim Robel Concepts

Oddometer: 128
I do believe Trials is the core of all motorcycling. I think the skills learned in trials applies to all types of bikes. For those that don't have a fitting your big bike with some Trials tires helps transform it into something very capable of riding steep and rocky terrain. I don't ever want to give up Trials but riding a big bike on this stuff is very rewarding to me and now is my core focus!
Food for though,t a Trials bike can be bought used for around a $1000.00. I would recommend anyone that loves riding tough terrain will enjoyTrials. By competing in Trials, it helped me transform these skills over on the big bike. Not necessary, but definitely helps!
A lot of the guys that raced King of the Motos were running knobbys, some had enough skill that it didn't matter, some could have really benefitted from a Pirelli Trials tire. The Pirelli is the only one that works well with the bike bike. My opinion. The others are made for a Trials weight bike. The carcass on the pirelli holds the bike well, even with 5psi in the tire. Hope this helps! keep riding the tough stuff!
trc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Speaking of KTM. This 350 Freeride looks like fun for Trails and Trials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2eUucG4gwU
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344

Old 03-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
I like where this thread is going! I got a WR400 a few months ago and put a MT43 trials tire on the back. The reviews have held true, and the tire just grabs all the way up hills. I'd like to have a trials bike, but they are generally harder to find and more expensive compared to a dirt bike. So my idea is to find a really cheap 125 two stroke, put trials tires on it and lighten it up as much as possible (not much you can do here) and have a fun little play bike to hone technical skills on. Looks like some other people have already done it!
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasLeader View Post
So my idea is to find a really cheap 125 two stroke, put trials tires on it and lighten it up as much as possible (not much you can do here) and have a fun little play bike to hone technical skills on. Looks like some other people have already done it!
You probably know this already, but if you decide to go the two-stroke route, look for something that already has or can accept extra flywheel weight. A 125 MXer will not make the kind of power you want for a technical trail/trial dirt bike.
ridenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,619
my son (exc300) and I (wr450) are recent trials rear tire converts (maybe 4-5 rides)

the idea of getting some trials training on our trail bikes is certainley appealing

we road up a hill climb on Saturday that would have been totally impossible for us on knobbys

Old 03-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
You probably know this already, but if you decide to go the two-stroke route, look for something that already has or can accept extra flywheel weight. A 125 MXer will not make the kind of power you want for a technical trail/trial dirt bike.
This would be something that stayed close to the truck just to mess around on. Geared way down with a flywheel weight. I like to describe it as a full size mini. I think most people understand that oxymoron.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #15
VxZeroKnots OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasLeader View Post
This would be something that stayed close to the truck just to mess around on. Geared way down with a flywheel weight. I like to describe it as a full size mini. I think most people understand that oxymoron.
I did the same thing with a 250 two stroke but it is old and grumpy. I'd like to recreate the project with a 125 or another 250 so i could just swap all my parts.