Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #76
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
Just out of curiosity, what racks did you use?
I went with the givi racks. I had their stuff on a few bikes throughout the years and never had any issues (except for some powdercoating rubbing off that is easy to touch up). Their racks on my Bandit survived two slow speed spills, and the G took a nap in dirt last year with the same result. Scuffed case, that's it.

I put the E21 on the sides to keep the profile narrow, and a larger one on the back.

And I have the tool tubes mounted to the racks to carry some tools when going lightweight
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #77
michiganstromrider
clunker

Oddometer: 18
Help needed with G650GS Oil Change

I have a 2009 BMW G650GS. Up until now, I have had the dealer do all of my oil changes because I wanted to ensure the warranty on the bike. I now want to start doing my own oil changes but I have never done an oil change on a dry sump system. Is there a link here somewhere that will have instructions on how an oil change is done on the G650GS. Also, If anyone has a extra service manual laying around that they would like to sell I would be interested.

Reply to this thread or send me a pm.

Thanks!
michiganstromrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #78
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 431
Congratulations on deciding to do your own oil changes. There is a bunch of info at www.f650.com concerning just about any phase of maintenance on the BMW 650 engine. An oil change is pretty simple but a bit messy due to the location of the oil filter. At one time you could get a good deal on the filters and various other parts from the above mentioned web site. That's not clear now but worth trying.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #79
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganstromrider View Post
I have a 2009 BMW G650GS. Up until now, I have had the dealer do all of my oil changes because I wanted to ensure the warranty on the bike. I now want to start doing my own oil changes but I have never done an oil change on a dry sump system. Is there a link here somewhere that will have instructions on how an oil change is done on the G650GS. Also, If anyone has a extra service manual laying around that they would like to sell I would be interested.

Reply to this thread or send me a pm.

Thanks!

There is a FAQ section on Chain Gang with info on oil change http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/GS_Oil_Ch...m#Introduction

I'm not entirely sure that it's applicable, but since the G is said to be same as the old F I would think it should be (??). and if not, I'd like to know too!

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #80
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt View Post
There is a FAQ section on Chain Gang with info on oil change http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/GS_Oil_Ch...m#Introduction

I'm not entirely sure that it's applicable, but since the G is said to be same as the old F I would think it should be (??). and if not, I'd like to know too!
I do my oil changes on the F and use HI/Lo filter151 they are $5.95 and you can order them at any bike shop. i have re used the cooper crush washers a couple of times and had no problems, same with the oring on the filter housing cover. The orings can be bought at Transmission supply dealers 6 for $2.00.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #81
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore415 View Post
Traded my Sportser for a 2011 G650GS today. Loving it so far!

Check with a dealer for recalls at your 600 mile service,we got brand new speedo,rear wheel,sprocket carrier,two sprockets and a chain.

Good luck with it

"w strone slonca..........."
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #82
ironmark
ODAT ADV Seeker

Oddometer: 191
New (to me) F650GS

So..., I just bought a 2006 BMW 650. Haven't ridden it much yet, but I've noticed a peculiar trait, and am interested to see if any of you have comments on this. It seems to want to stand up or right itself when cornering, as if it's got a gyroscope in it. It is factory lowered, and am wondering if this is just a result of the already low center of gravity and the lowering kit or what? Or am I just losing my marbles?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #83
racwld1
n00b

Oddometer: 8
a bit different gs650

i hope nobody thinks that i have commited the cardinal sin but i wanted my gs a bit different than most, i have just about converted it to a super motard style bike, it actually turned out much better than i expected, i removed every un necessary bit of weight from it i could, changed the exhaust to a dual remus, k&n air filter, power commander mapping, front gearing to a 14 tooth, lowered it two inches, klr handlebars, road race tires, what a blast to ride, i am 63 years old and been riding and racing motorcycles since i was 5, this just may be the most fun motorbike i have ever had.i will post pictures when i can, i know that what i have done is far from what it was designed to do but i think it proves just how good these bikes are. i ride a lot late at night with a buddie of mine that is an x speedway racer and no doubt the fun police should arrest us every night we ride.
racwld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #84
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by racwld1 View Post
i hope nobody thinks that i have commited the cardinal sin but i wanted my gs a bit different than most, i have just about converted it to a super motard style bike, it actually turned out much better than i expected, i removed every un necessary bit of weight from it i could, changed the exhaust to a dual remus, k&n air filter, power commander mapping, front gearing to a 14 tooth, lowered it two inches, klr handlebars, road race tires, what a blast to ride, i am 63 years old and been riding and racing motorcycles since i was 5, this just may be the most fun motorbike i have ever had.i will post pictures when i can, i know that what i have done is far from what it was designed to do but i think it proves just how good these bikes are. i ride a lot late at night with a buddie of mine that is an x speedway racer and no doubt the fun police should arrest us every night we ride.

Dude.... Enough talk... Lets see some pictures!

Any figures on how much weight you shaved off? Are you running the stock wheels or did you have some new ones built up? Pics man, pics!

Still waiting for my bike to come in, should see in the next 1 to 2 weeks....
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #85
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmark View Post
So..., I just bought a 2006 BMW 650. Haven't ridden it much yet, but I've noticed a peculiar trait, and am interested to see if any of you have comments on this. It seems to want to stand up or right itself when cornering, as if it's got a gyroscope in it. It is factory lowered, and am wondering if this is just a result of the already low center of gravity and the lowering kit or what? Or am I just losing my marbles?
How many miles on the rear shock and the steering head bearings? If it only happens in high speed cornering then it may need a rear shock rebuild.

When you are riding in a straight line at slow speed does it gyroscope like the front wheel is on cracks in the road?, this is steering head bearings.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #86
ironmark
ODAT ADV Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
How many miles on the rear shock and the steering head bearings? If it only happens in high speed cornering then it may need a rear shock rebuild.

When you are riding in a straight line at slow speed does it gyroscope like the front wheel is on cracks in the road?, this is steering head bearings.
My first ride was no plate, ins., or reg., so..., it was a short ride. Got everything now and will put it all on tonight and try a longer ride. Will have a better feel then.
The bike has 9700 miles and guessing it's the original shock.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #87
racwld1
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
Dude.... Enough talk... Lets see some pictures!

Any figures on how much weight you shaved off? Are you running the stock wheels or did you have some new ones built up? Pics man, pics!

Still waiting for my bike to come in, should see in the next 1 to 2 weeks....
not to good with pictures yet, avatar is of the bike, the wheels are stock 2003 alumunium spokes, work great, with the gearing the bike will wheelie at will, by the way love the scooter, i have 2 yamaha zuma's and love them.
racwld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #88
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by racwld1 View Post
not to good with pictures yet, avatar is of the bike, the wheels are stock 2003 alumunium spokes, work great, with the gearing the bike will wheelie at will, by the way love the scooter, i have 2 yamaha zuma's and love them.

Sounds like a sweet ride! If you need help posting pics, let me know.. Or I can PM you my email so you can send to me and I will post for you. Would like to see how this machine looks!

The Zumas are a cool little scooter! A couple friends and co-workers have them and I have enjoyed taking them out for a lap when helping them with oil changes and other work.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #89
ironmark
ODAT ADV Seeker

Tire suggestions

So, the rear tire will need to be changed soon and I'm looking for some feedback for a good 50/50 tire that gets decent mileage. Will change out front and rear.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #90
skidoomike
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Noob

Well i just signed the papers last night on a brand new 2010 G650GS in all black. I am coming off a GSxr 600 loved the bike but way too uncomfortable for long rides. I have always loved the look and practicality of the "enduro" so I took the plunge! I have 2 things that i dont really like in appearance that maybe you guys could help with..
1. the factory mirrors... would like the change out they look "old man" to me, I like the look of the 2012 mirrors but they are $250 for a pair from BMW,,,anyone know of a good aftermarket ones that angle a bit with a part # or link.
2. I would like the change the signal flasher covers from the ugly orange to the clear or WHITE colour that seem to appear now on the 2012.
3. Looking for a simple rear pannier 35l or so that will easily clip on to the back of the bike. I just want the case with a lock and thats it nothing with electronics or lights just something simple.

I am pumped to ride this bike didnt even test drive it as there is still snow on the ground here in Ottawa Ontario! I have read tons and tons of pages and looking forward to join team BMW.
Cheers
skidoomike is offline   Reply With Quote