Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
LFD Kansas OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
Have you ever found yourself in a place that gives you nightmares while riding?

What I do for a living has numbed me to some things. I have ridden to a lot of historical places for fun that were a little gruesome in nature. I have seen the bloody bender site, Massacre on the Marais Des Cygne, the Mormon Massacre,and some of the John Brown sites. I am not into gore just like history.

I have recently started having less than pleasant dreams about a place that I went to entirely unintentionally. In 1999, I attended Wyoming Technical Institute in Laramie. On the weekends, I put thousands of miles on my XR400. One night, after camping in the Vedauvoo (sp?) National forest, I hung out a little too late and found myself turned around and alone in the dark. After following the moon for a while I finally saw the city lights over Laramie I came in from an unfamiliar direction and was running along an old buck fence and was startled to run in to a section covered in flowers. The place was feeling really desolate.

I had unintentionally found the site where people had memorialized for Mathew Shepard. I haven't thought about that ride for years. Last night I relived that ride in a very detailed dream. The only difference, was that in my dream, he was there as his attackers left him.

I have not had dreams like this before. I hope to never have another.

Has any of you been to a place that haunts you?
LFD Kansas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
Last year I took a ride out to check out some of area near Huntsville that was damaged by tornadoes. Although I have not had any nightmares about it, it was a sobering experience that I will never forget. Although I had seen stuff like this on TV, seeing it in person is a whole different thing.

This is less than 20 miles from my Apartment.

My pics don't do it justice. It looked like a war zone

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
LFD Kansas OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Last year I took a ride out to check out some of area near Huntsville that was damaged by tornadoes. Although I have not had any nightmares about it, it was a sobering experience that I will never forget. Although I had seen stuff like this on TV, seeing it in person is a whole different thing.

This is less than 20 miles from my Apartment.

My pics don't do it justice. It looked like a war zone
Wow, yea I went to Joplin to volunteer last year. There is nothing quite so sobering.
LFD Kansas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,325

Man, that is certainly sad.

All the damage, maybe death and lots of heartache and shattered dreams for people right there.
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
I didn't ride there but Fort Robinson NP in Nebraska had that affect on me. I had gone on a bowhunting trip there some years back, I had the place to myself pretty much the whole ten days. After a few days hunting hard I took a break and spent one full day just wandering around looking at the buildings that still exist, officers quarters, HQ, the stables from when Fort Robinson was an Army horse and mule breeding depot, the parade grounds. It's also the site of the Red Cloud Indian Agency. There was much human misery and suffering attached to this area. 4500 people starved into submission and surrender during the winter of 1876-77.. Crazy Horse was stabbed to death there September 1877. Later, during the Second World War it became a POW camp.

Then one night I ate my dinner and began to walk, there was a 3/4 moon and it was very cold but I was dressed warmly so I just prowled the fort for much of the night. Looking for ghosts I suppose... I didn't see any, but I sure felt an oppression in that place. Not in a scary frightening way, but just an immense sadness... Sort of felt all the sadness or pain that I had known in my own life to that point there as well. It wasn't a nightmare of course, I was wide awake, but it sure felt like one. I got into my sleeping bag early in the morning and slept until the sun hit my tent and woke me up. That feeling was just gone. I'm not sure I'm explaining this well at all but I stayed there and hunted every day until it was time to go. I slept like a baby every night but that one. I've gone back a couple of times since that trip. It's an interesting area, beautiful in a stark prairie sort of way and has been a good deer hunting area for me as well. I never had those feelings again, or if I did they passed so quickly I didn't notice them as such.

I'm not sure what to make of things like this. I don't believe in ghosts, not sure what to make of an afterlife either, (one life at a time please) but maybe when something really bad happens some sort of a bad juju, or vibe or whatever you want to call it, attaches to that place. Or maybe we just think it does and our mind takes it from there, Quien Sabes?
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Paulie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
On our scoot from Mesa Verde to Moab, there was a stretch of CO90 - UT46 that was jest...creepy. No nitemares per se but it had a reel strange vibe. Combined with some ghostly injun music on an FM station. Weird fer shure.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
The drive through Baghdad to the airport was pretty sketchy...
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
I was following a certain gps track through the south...and i was on a pretty remote bit of it. and i may have been off course....suddenly the road i was on began to narrow...and narrow...down to a narrow 2 track. it wound through the forest for a while then suddenly the trees thinned and i was in a hollow among a few houses, or shacks...these houses were very close to the road..i could practically touch the porches on either side as i passed.
there were maybe 5 houses all told, arranged in a tiny town or compound...like a camp. the houses reminded me of deliverance....but they were kept up pretty well.

i had the distinct feeling that i didn't want to linger there...it felt very unwelcoming...though i didn't see anyone about.

I twisted the throttle as soon as i was a few hundred feet from the last house and hauled ass for the next hour. even checked my back trail a couple of times.

im not a good enough writer to describe the creepy feeling that place gave me...but it lingers and though i haven't had any nightmares i can remember the feeling like it was yesterday.

i cant remember the last time i spooked like that,,,

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,247
My usual Sunday afternoon gravel road loop takes me past one homestead that gives me the willies every time. It's surrounded by oil well pumps working away like the house is not even there. This particular house is the only one on the road, so you don't just happen upon it. Part of it has collapsed, but other parts of it are still being lived in. There are a couple of skinny horses in the yard and skinnier dogs that are too malnourished to chase you.

I always just slow to a law abiding speed and then as soon as I'm out of sight I just hammer on it, wanting to put as much distance as I can between me and that place. I've even gone so far as to cut that road out of my loop entirely if I'm feeling particularly creeped out.

But nightmares? No.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
My usual Sunday afternoon gravel road loop takes me past one homestead that gives me the willies every time. It's surrounded by oil well pumps working away like the house is not even there. This particular house is the only one on the road, so you don't just happen upon it. Part of it has collapsed, but other parts of it are still being lived in. There are a couple of skinny horses in the yard and skinnier dogs that are too malnourished to chase you.
Is it a sin to report abused animals to the proper authorities out in your area?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I dreamt that I owned a KLR once.

Does that count?

duck screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 10:16 PM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,008
Does west Philadelphia count?
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Is it a sin to report abused animals to the proper authorities out in your area?
I was taking a little artistic license with that description. The dogs may just not care to chase me. The horses are skinny though. But as far as calling the proper authorities... You just don't mess with folks who are as backwoods as these folks are.

Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #14
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post

Does that count?

Only if it had a milk crate on it

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post

Does that count?

I had similar nightmare but it was a Harley....

I remeber driving through Homestead Florida shortly after Hurricane Andrew...thought I was in one of those post apocalyptic movies...