User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,192
BMW R1100GS: The 1998 "75th Anniversary Edition" and the 1999 "Special Edition"

Hey guys I figured it would be cool to get pics and info of the 1998 and 1999's in one spot for future reference, since I've been seeing information on these slowly disappearing on the net.

So owners and fans please share pics and info on your bikes !

Hans Van Hartskamp over in Holland, now officially my "Rood/Witte broeder", has been emailing me about the 75th Anniversary edition and sharing info he's accumulated. Hans has a thread on the BMW GS Club Nederland forum about rebuilding his trashed 98 Anniversary into a very sweet looking bike, and has been prodding me to start a thread here in the U.S. The Dutch forum is in Dutch (imagine that), but here's the link… http://www.bmwgsclub.nl/forum/viewto...asc&start=1350 - the best pages are #98, 105, etc which feature pics of me .

Hans has gathered some information pertaining to them, as have I, so I figured I'll lump it together in one spot.

At this point I don't have any info on the 1999 Special Editions other than that they featured both red/white and silver/yellow Anniversary tank paint schemes - if you have any production info on the 99's lemme know

The "1998 R1100GS - 75" 75th Anniversary Edition:

Official pic of the 1998 R1100GS-75 with European tinted windshield:

The 98 Annie In a Nutshell:
The 1998 Anniversary Edition was a standard R1100GS, called the "1998 R1100GS - 75", sporting a throwback red and white paint job reminiscent of the R100GS Paris-Dakar models, which was probably a throwback to something else lol. They came standard with heated grips, ABS, bag mounts, "Rider Information Display", and included an owner's "elaborate presentation folder" which contained a certificate of authenticity, a special key case, lapel pin, and photo album with spaces for the owner's photos of the bike.

The Euro version came with a dark smoke tinted windscreen while the U. S. version featured a clear windscreen. Don't know if the clear was merely for marketing or a requirement.

How Many 1998 Anniversary's Were Made?
Hans had heard that 1700 were made, and I'd read somewhere that 200 came into the US.

Hans, being the intelligent man he is, emailed BMW asking them how many were made in total and how many were sent to each market, to which he received the following reply:

> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:15:29 +0100
> From: Motorrad@bmw.de
> To: hansvanhartskamp@
> Subject: BMW Motorrad Direct
>
> Sehr geehrter Herr van Hartskamp,
>
> danke für Ihre Nachricht.
>
> Von dem Sondermodell der R 1100 GS – 75 Jahre BMW Motorrad haben wir 750 Stück gebaut
> Bitte haben Sie aber Verständnis, dass wir keine Aussage mehr zur Verteilung auf die einzelnen Märkte mehr treffen können.
>
> Viele Grüße
> BMW Motorrad Direct
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft
> Vorstand: Norbert Reithofer, Vorsitzender,
> Frank-Peter Arndt, Herbert Diess, Klaus Draeger,
> Friedrich Eichiner, Harald Krüger, Ian Robertson
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Joachim Milberg
> Sitz und Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 42243
> --------------------------------------------------------

Which Googly translated says that BMW built 750 of the R1100GS-75's, but they had no data of the numbers sent to each market. I guess "750" was to correlate with 75 years.

As to how many came to the U. S. it is unknown at the moment, but Hans got a PDF from somewhere showing that 42 units were sold in Holland, which, of course, is cool:

Images of dealer information sheets that I found on the net in the past - if any owners want a PDF of them PM me and I'll email a copy to you.

Australian Press Release from DropBears.com:

Blurb from Santa Cruz BMW website:

General Specs for 1998

The "1999 BMW R1100GS - SE" Special Edition:

I don't have much info on the model yet, other than having read that the '99 SE featured the gas tank paint scheme of the Anniversary Edition in Kalahari Yellow / Silver as well as the Marrakesh Red / Alpine White tank. Can't find the link but I read the SE was made to utilize excess inventory of the Anniversary Edition tanks. It differs also in that has the standard GS tank decal rather than the 75th sticker and did not come with any "special" folder or foo-foo items.

A blurb from Hermys.com:
R 1100 GS ABS SE Special Edition

By sure retailer request, this unit will be available in 1999 with the same graphics package as our prior years 75th Anniversary model. It will not come with the Anniversary decals.

Colors: 737 Red/ White

Seat Color: Black

Standard Equipment: ABS II, integral frame mounted mini fairing with adjustable windshield, cylinder protection, power accessory socket, stainless steel exhaust with catalytic converter, cross spoke wire wheels, single key lock system, adjustable seat, hazard warning flashers, RID (rider information display) and saddlebag mounts. Roadside Assistance Package & MSF Riding Course is also included.

Optional Accessory's Suggestions: Saddlebag scuff pads, Saddlebags and bag liners, 35 liter removable top box, top box liner, tank bag, heated handlebar grips, mud flap, dark windshield, alarm system, BMW U-lock, motorcycle cover, foam handlebar grips, tank bag electrification kit, lighted ignition key, special cylinder protection bars.

Retail Price: $14,500.00

How Many 1999 Special Editions Were Made?

No idea yet

I'll post pics of the owner's kit for the 1998 when I get a chance and any other info as it comes along

Let's see some pics!
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Dan Cãta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
That's a lot of info, and a lot of research.

But you can look at it this way: if it has a never to fail gearbox, then it's a very special edition
Dan.
Dan Cãta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
lucas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Great stuff.

Thanks!
lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,159
Very interesting stuff there. Good thing you have some contacts. I've searched here and there over the years about the '99. Only been able to find the basic stuff and nothing as good as this. I didn't ever plan on owning a yellow bike but the touch of silver on the tank gives it a nice touch.

Will try to dig up some pics later.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,097
I'm not sure if i have ever SEEN the '99 Special

But in a weird way, i kind of like it.

BTW: are the wheels on the '99 the same? They look different... But my eyes are getting bad.....

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

SPDC2 I'm with ya - I've seen probably 3 Red/White 75th's in real life including my own, but only 1 SE ever and it was the one DFWScotty has. There was a red/white 99 in the FM a while back and other than that I don't know if I've seen another.
I think the spokes are lit brighter in the SE pic and with the jpg jaggies they look a little different

Like you Scotty, I'd never think I'd want a yellow bike but I like the SE yellow/silver Very original look
Old 03-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,159
Yea I noticed the spokes in the photo above and agree with the photo effects. I had to go out and look at mine cause I thought for sure they were different but they are like that. I think I saw one yellow/silver in the "show us your 1100GS" thread and I think another one in the Flea Market a few months ago. I have run into one guy that told me he used to have one long ago. I've also seen the European model 850GS in the same paint scheme on the UKGSer site.
Always liked the 1100 as a unique GS and had no idea how unique it would be until after I bought it.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

On display at the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum

Is it just me or is the skid plate assembled incorrectly?

LoneStar screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 08:10 PM
Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
On display at the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum

Is it just me or is the skid plate assembled incorrectly?
That extra piece is inside the skid plate on mine.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,317
Cool thread, I've always dug Special or Anniversary edition bikes.

FYI, there's a '99 Registry thread on UKGSer.com. LINKY
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
joe a
awryder

Oddometer: 589
Thumb

Very Cool...................
Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Jeff - mine is too and then when I saw this I wondered for a sec if I'd been doing it wrong all these years

Yeti thanks for that link! Excellent to see those - I need to post over there and get owners to pop some pics on this thread.

If they only made 200 of the yellow/silver "Granada / Dakar" then they're like gold plated hen's teeth
Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
djlxr400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Some of the best looking GSs ever made, IMHO
03 Honda Crf 230f w/plate (Wife's)
djlxr400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Poway
SHED (Shit Head)

Oddometer: 465
OLD School Rules!!

Sure the new GS has more HP, better MPG, lighter weight and handles better. But the GS1100r is still champ on style. Best looking dual sport MC ever sold!
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Old School made New Cool lol

Posting for Hans over on the Nederlands GS Forum:

Some of Hans' videos:

Burnout
http://youtu.be/5Ua-RH84TQs

Dyno
http://youtu.be/DADfTL0DbcA