Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #16
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Rode an 89 Glide, a 05 King and now an 11 SG. You simply can not go wrong with either style bike.

As long as we are talking an RK or a Glide that is the same model year; then the frame, drivetrain, forks and brakes are the same. All the rest of it is bolt on stuff ( shocks, wheels, bars, seats, bags, etc..

Really reccomend you take both out for a test ride at the local dealer and then decide which one is for you.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #17
Inked
Tattooed Biker

Oddometer: 175
Ride both and go from there---they have very different feels. I've had two Street Glides (FLHX). For me, I prefer the batwing fairing. Everything tucks in there nicely---again...it's really a personal preference.

BMW R1200 GS Adventure
Inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #18
perturbedmax
Mr. n00b to you.

Oddometer: 41
I had awful buffeting on my old SG. And I never could hear the radio very well, always use helmet speakers now. Haven't put many miles on a RK but realy liked the removable windshield.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #19
Max Bialystock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I have an 06 Road King with the 88TC engine. If you are looking at the 88's make sure to find out if they have had the cam chain tensioners upgraded or replaced with gears. The OEM tensioners can and do occasionally fail. Add $1000 to $1500 to get rid of them with the Harley hydraulic tensioner upgrade or a cam and gear kit from S&S or Andrews.

The new frames are supposed to be the cat's pajamas due to increased frame rigidity. The 06 and older touring bikes can be fitted with a stabilizer ($150 to $400) to eliminate the frame/suspension wiggle.

The RK is an honest bike and great for touring. If I want cruise, abs, stereo and a lot of gauges I drive my car.
Ride safe!
Max

Max Bialystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,120
I just wonder if I am missing anything with that new frame. I was thinking I should trade my '07 in for an '09+ but I just don't know if it's all that much greater. What I would like to have is that 6 gallon tank. I just wonder how much I would have to kick in to upgrade to an '09+...I have a KLR I could throw in as well but I am sure it would cost more than I can get out of the KLR plus my '07 Glide

nskitts screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 08:59 AM
nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inked View Post

Knowing where you sit in one of these (low) I have to wonder how much of the scenery is blocked by your massive stereo and gauge enclosure. I've ridden a few land yachts with big dashboards and they always made me feel like I was in a car.

That alone would push me to a Road King - at least then the windshield is clear, and removable.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #22
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Knowing where you sit in one of these (low) I have to wonder how much of the scenery is blocked by your massive stereo and gauge enclosure. I've ridden a few land yachts with big dashboards and they always made me feel like I was in a car.

That alone would push me to a Road King - at least then the windshield is clear, and removable.
How tall are you? have you riden a touring HD....you don't sit "in" one nealry as much as with a softail.

I'm only 5'7" and had a Corbin seat that was about 2 inches lower than the stock seat. Without any windshiled the top of the fairing was at chest height and with a 8" clear shield I had no problem with obscured scenery.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #23
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I just wonder if I am missing anything with that new frame. I was thinking I should trade my '07 in for an '09+ but I just don't know if it's all that much greater. What I would like to have is that 6 gallon tank. I just wonder how much I would have to kick in to upgrade to an '09+...I have a KLR I could throw in as well but I am sure it would cost more than I can get out of the KLR plus my '07 Glide
If the 07 is paid for, just keep it. I moved up from an '06 SC to '12 RG but in doing so I upgarded from 88" to 103", 5 gallon tank to 6 gal, 5 speed tranny to 6, carb to EFI, brembro brakes, cuise control, AND the new frame.

My new bike is so much nicer than the '06 but the frame is only one of the reasons.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
wannabe1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Well, I have found an 04 electra glde std. in my price range (sub $10K)
It has 51K miles on it and it is a carb. bike with a dynojet jet kit. I don't know if I should hold out for an FI bike or just live with a carb. As I have searched the market, its going to be hard to find any street glide for less than $10K and I might as well forget getting an 09 or newer for that, but there are some older electras and road kings. Maybe I will go metric yet.

wannabe1 screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 01:16 PM
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #25
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
If the 07 is paid for, just keep it. I moved up from an '06 SC to '12 RG but in doing so I upgarded from 88" to 103", 5 gallon tank to 6 gal, 5 speed tranny to 6, carb to EFI, brembro brakes, cuise control, AND the new frame.

My new bike is so much nicer than the '06 but the frame is only one of the reasons.
This is the bike I would like...you would not believe how visible the Aerostich Orange Road Glide is to cars and his price is not bad, I could probably get 12 or 13 outta mine I guess:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item3372a10c04

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #26
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Removable windshield = killer feature. Go for the King!
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #27
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Street glide! Currently I own a fxdwg and klr. The next Buy will be a street glide. Rode both and street glide is the long travel machine of my choice. The longer I ride the less I have my wind shield off. Glide you can buy multiple shields to fit your face. I will say if your going to buy, buy new with extended warranty. Shop around, a good dealer will go $2000 under msrp, free setup and 20% on parts at time of sale with install at no charge. My warranty was $1400 for total of 7 years. Clutch cost at 10000 $600 cost me $50, oil pan from chunk of metal on road 150+ labor = $50, smoked motor at 24,000, $4500 = 50! granted I rode her like I stole her! If you are tacking up the miles buy the new 103. No down shift to pass at highway speeds just a nicer platform all around. Cop bikes had them for 5 years prior to civilian so all the kinks are worked out. So buy new buy warranty buy a Yamaha super tenere!
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #28
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
This is the bike I would like...you would not believe how visible the Aerostich Orange Road Glide is to cars and his price is not bad, I could probably get 12 or 13 outta mine I guess:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item3372a10c04
Nice, wonder what his reserve price is?

I got the basic black, cheaper by a few hundred dollars but would have preferred the orange but it wasn't offered in '12 I really wanted the 103".
Old 03-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #29
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
Street glide! Currently I own a fxdwg and klr. The next Buy will be a street glide. Rode both and street glide is the long travel machine of my choice. The longer I ride the less I have my wind shield off. Glide you can buy multiple shields to fit your face.
I agree 100% on the windshield.

My first HD was a sporty ridden locally, then got a Softail Standard (FXST), very similar setup to an FXDWG, and hopped the motor up (95" with 109 hp and 108 tq) and started taking longer weekend trips and didn't like the wind in my face at 70+ mph for hours at a time so I bought a quick detach windshield. Heck after a few weeks the windshield never came off and with more traveling I decided I needed a touring bike and bought the Street Glide for my 40th b-day.

Just got the Road Glide in December, haven't ridden it in the rain yet but from a wind protection standpoint, the Batwing fairing on the SG provided better protection with less buffeting for me than the RG. I put taller windshields on both but I still look over them. I had read where buffeting can be a problem for some on the RGs but it's not bad, just more turbulent than the Batwing.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #30
rancox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
2004 Road King Classic - the Classic has Electronic Cruise that is spot on! Put on Cee Baileys screen and Mustang Seat - can go from 2 up tourer to single rider cruiser in 10 minutes. Has nice 50's look and always garners conversations with the Pearl White, spoke wheels, and wide white walls. Leaving for Daytona in the morning!

My favorite music is the sound of that big VTwin loping at 80+. When I return, plan to put in Gold Valves and new shocks for improved handling. it is actually amazing how well the stock bike handles on a good road like 181.

My other bike is a Speed Triple - nice combo. Never thought that I would own a Harley but still love it and grin each ride.

Good luck with your choice.
rancox is offline   Reply With Quote