Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #14971
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
That's a bike that gets out, it's no garage queen, VERY NICE HenryII.

Tell me about those tires on road and off road. Thanks.

Regards, Paul
Thanks Paul, it is the oem tires :-) I ride mainly on bad roads with asfalt, and maybe 5-10% on gravel roads. The tires
have done their job and I am now building new wheels with new rims. And will change to the metzler series that was used on the tiger 955
rear 150/17 :-)

Hope to have them ready for the weekend
Rear off

Front off

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #14972
Joe883
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
A Kayak sidecar, thats a wickedly twisted idea, I love it!

http://joe883.smugmug.com/Motorcycle...4404&k=8nCJZd6
Joe883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #14973
Manray
Killing Time

Oddometer: 130
[QUOTE=henryII;18147483]Thanks Paul, it is the oem tires :-) I ride mainly on bad roads with asfalt, and maybe 5-10% on gravel roads. The tires
have done their job and I am now building new wheels with new rims. And will change to the metzler series that was used on the tiger 955

Henry, can you shed some light on the wheels you are building. What rims (make and size) are you using? Will do the same with my Scram when I have my pannier rack situation sorted. Cheers!
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #14974
mr.joke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hello.

I've just finished reading all the 999 pages
and I think I can add just some pics that I thought I've posted already, but nops....

Here is my bonneville (scrambled) and a scrambler of a friend of mine in route to the Sahara desert in Morocco

more pics and info:
info translated
Old 03-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #14975
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Manray;18148106]
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII View Post
Thanks Paul, it is the oem tires :-) I ride mainly on bad roads with asfalt, and maybe 5-10% on gravel roads. The tires

Henry, can you shed some light on the wheels you are building. What rims (make and size) are you using? Will do the same with my Scram when I have my pannier rack situation sorted. Cheers!
Sure, I went for the Morad alu/rim - black powder coated.
I will keep the silver spoaks to break up the wheel a little.
Front 100/90 19 and Rear150/70-R17 combined with Metzeler Tourance

[/URL]

henryII screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 03:22 AM Reason: picture size
Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #14976
EtowahKLR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sark View Post
Hello guys,

Just got some new pipes and an AI removal kit. The pipes seem pretty free-flowing as I can see daylight through them. Is there a standard go-to carburetor set-up (jets and air screws) that I should use, or should I bring it to a professional to be adjusted? I guess if there's a standard carburetor set-up for an aftermarket exhaust then I could easily do it myself, otherwise I'd bring it to a pro who knows how to get an ideal mixture.

On a side note, can anyone in the north east (NY specifically) suggest a good triumph mechanic? Thanks for any suggestions.
Marc,

I'm glad you like the pipes. Rejetting is a pretty straight forward process. AI removal doesn't really effect the jetting much, but the free breathing exhaust will. With a carb bike, you'll have to allow for the elevation where you ride the most. For example: I live at 2300' elevation and frequently ride in the Blue Ridge Mountains up around 5000' to 6000'. I'm running Arrow exhaust with the db killer, no airbox mods except snorkel removal, and 118 main jets. So far, I've done nothing with the idle mixture screws.

Now, my Bonneville has Arrow exhaust (w/o db killer), airbox removal kit w/K&N pods, 138 mains and 42 pilots, and a Triumph Twin Power modified ignitor. If you like to tinker, these bikes are great. I wouldn't worry so much about finding a good dealer mechanic unless you need warranty service. Find yourself a good tuner who can help you dial in the carbs. There's so much power that can be squeezed out of these motors without having to break into the motor. They just need to breathe.

Good luck, and enjoy that Scrambler!
EtowahKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #14977
sandsquirt
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Joe883, I thought that this sidecar would fit my needs if i made it so the front grab handle and the box was removable. Also you could add second padded box on the hack to raise the kayak if you have a problem with approach angles. It would be very versatile.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/75235/ShowPost.aspx
sandsquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #14978
westonius
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Finally got it!!!!

Been drooling over this bike for months and traded in my old shadow (boring) for my new scram brand new. Bone stock with just an engine bar and skid plate.

I have some plans for the bike but really could use advice. ill start off small. I'm not crazy about the stock tail lights....I think they need to go.

(BTW How do i get pics up here i tried but it said something about too much text)
westonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #14979
sark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtowahKLR View Post
Marc,

I'm glad you like the pipes. Rejetting is a pretty straight forward process. AI removal doesn't really effect the jetting much, but the free breathing exhaust will. With a carb bike, you'll have to allow for the elevation where you ride the most. For example: I live at 2300' elevation and frequently ride in the Blue Ridge Mountains up around 5000' to 6000'. I'm running Arrow exhaust with the db killer, no airbox mods except snorkel removal, and 118 main jets. So far, I've done nothing with the idle mixture screws.

Now, my Bonneville has Arrow exhaust (w/o db killer), airbox removal kit w/K&N pods, 138 mains and 42 pilots, and a Triumph Twin Power modified ignitor. If you like to tinker, these bikes are great. I wouldn't worry so much about finding a good dealer mechanic unless you need warranty service. Find yourself a good tuner who can help you dial in the carbs. There's so much power that can be squeezed out of these motors without having to break into the motor. They just need to breathe.

Good luck, and enjoy that Scrambler!
Thanks for the toughful response. I'm DIEING to hear those pipes growl!
sark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #14980
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,142
WOW a 1000 pages.
Congrats to everyone who buys into the Triumph Scrambler mystique.
Modern nostalgia that grabs attention.
Fun bike. Handles well enough. Goes fast enough. Comfy.
Gaining a cult like following... ...Multiple personalities.

I got the opportunity to start posting up (with ownership) around page 430 (!) and thought it was big then.
Thanks to all who do different & cool things to an amazingly basic bike.

Enjoy, Triumph owners.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #14981
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
I always wanted to be on 1K page. What should be done on this special occasion? May be a kind of suvey? Let´s say: WHAT SHOULD BE CHANGED ON SRAMBLER IN THE FUTURE?
I personally vote for suspension, improved factory sound (if Ducati can do it, Triumph must be able too), rear break, signals, tail light, rack, luggage, two clock removal, mirrors, rims, triple clamp, headlight efficiency, gear shifter, break pedal, levers, regulator-rctifier & horn location .... generally minor issues. Scrambler is still gorgeous, even in the factory edition.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #14982
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,294
I vote for better suspension, a 6 speed gearbox and an improved headlight.

Oh, And Triumph offer the bike in something other than matte finish, Some of us still like shiny paint.

I really like your TW rig Sandsquirt. That would be perfect for fishing and camping. I'm not sure I would want to bolt a kayak to a car however, It would be a handful in the wind. I had looked around for a wrecked Bonne or Scrambler to bolt my sidecar to but found they wanted more than you could buy a used bike with no damage for.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #14983
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks to all that have posted so many enlightening posts. I have come up with many ideas just looking
at your bikes.

[/URL]
Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #14984
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks to all that have posted so many enlightening posts. I have come up with many ideas just looking
at your bikes.

Dream change from the fabric

1. 40 kg off
2. 80 hp

[/URL]
Old 03-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #14985
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII View Post
at your bikes.

Dream change from the fabric

1. 40 kg off
2. 80 hp
Even though I posted a big one on 999, I can't help myself so I've got to throw in a post on this most significant of pages!

If Triumph were to bring out an updated Scrambler, here is my list of improvements. Reposition the rear caliper to above the swingarm. Enlarge the fuel tank by 2 or 3 litres while maintaining a similar shape. Bump capacity up a little, increase compression a little, fit higher lift cams and bigger valves for a modest 10-15hp increase.

If they got really serious they should offer a 'Scrambler R' version with upgraded Ohlins suspension front and rear although from a marketing POV, this might be better done on the Thruxton along with the afore-mentioned engine upgrades.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote