User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #91
mb4807
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Trials and Street

I've just bought a trials bike that I will use just for playing on occasionaly and maybe the odd competition here and there, but not lots of harcore regular use. I also have a GS1200 for road and some very easy DS work. I'm looking for a boot with enough flex and a suitable sole for the trials riding, but enough protection for the road and DS riding on the big bike. I have Gaerne MX boots already and they are way to stiff and have a slick sole.

I can't really tell from the web whether the G Midland is "the" boot, or whether the Balance is stiffer or less stiff than that? - Any advice on which boots might fit the bill, from Gaerne or other makes? I'd sooner sacrifice a little flex at the trials end of the spectrum to gain the protection at the road end. I started off thinking the Gaerne Adventures or the Sidi Discovery's would fit the bill, but am starting to think they may be too soft and offer too little in the way of protection.

Appreciate any advice you can give.
mb4807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #92
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
What does a special order for Midlands entail ... how long, returnability/exchangeability, etc.?
Sending you a PM.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #93
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,070
Got it. Thank you!
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #94
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb4807 View Post
I've just bought a trials bike that I will use just for playing on occasionally and maybe the odd competition here and there, but not lots of hardcore regular use. I also have a GS1200 for road and some very easy DS work. I'm looking for a boot with enough flex and a suitable sole for the trials riding, but enough protection for the road and DS riding on the big bike. I have Gaerne MX boots already and they are way to stiff and have a slick sole.

I can't really tell from the web whether the G Midland is "the" boot, or whether the Balance is stiffer or less stiff than that? - Any advice on which boots might fit the bill, from Gaerne or other makes? I'd sooner sacrifice a little flex at the trials end of the spectrum to gain the protection at the road end. I started off thinking the Gaerne Adventures or the Sidi Discovery's would fit the bill, but am starting to think they may be too soft and offer too little in the way of protection.

Appreciate any advice you can give.
Your question has some personally specific yet opposite riding hypotheticals. My first reaction is that the Balance Oiled is a good....balance....between your two bikes and types of riding. But I always say that people should wear as much boot as they are willing to tolerate. Everyone's midpoint between comfort and protection is different, but yours is clearly tilting toward more support. The Midland is more supportive than the Balance, so I think is is a better choice for you. Based on your explanation, the Gaerne G-Adventure is too soft. You could look at an Alpinestars Scout, but that boot is a little clunky and I cannot imagine using it for trials.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #95
mb4807
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Your question has some personally specific yet opposite riding hypotheticals. My first reaction is that the Balance Oiled is a good....balance....between your two bikes and types of riding. But I always say that people should wear as much boot as they are willing to tolerate. Everyone's midpoint between comfort and protection is different, but yours is clearly tilting toward more support. The Midland is more supportive than the Balance, so I think is is a better choice for you. Based on your explanation, the Gaerne G-Adventure is too soft. You could look at an Alpinestars Scout, but that boot is a little clunky and I cannot imagine using it for trials.

BP
Many thanks for the insight. Based somewhat on that, I think I am coming to the conclusion that a one boot solution will have too many compromises, so will probably just accept the fact I need a pair of trials boots and a nice stout pair of boots for touring and a bit of DS on the GS 1200. Trials boots is easy enough to find and choose. Just need to re-think the road boots now. Still want something I can walk in with a degree of comfort though, so don't think my Gaerne Skywalk MX boots are going to cut it for me. Hmm, any suggestions on that?
mb4807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #96
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
mb4807 , FWIW, I use the Gaerne Balance for road and light DS riding on my 800GS. I really like them, and Brian helped me out a lot with the decision. Now I'm looking for a bit more robust boot for Moab and other bit tougher DS on my WR250. This new G-Midland may be the ticket, but I'm also looking at the GX-1. I'm liking what I'm reading on the Midland...
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #97
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb4807 View Post
Many thanks for the insight. Based somewhat on that, I think I am coming to the conclusion that a one boot solution will have too many compromises, so will probably just accept the fact I need a pair of trials boots and a nice stout pair of boots for touring and a bit of DS on the GS 1200. Trials boots is easy enough to find and choose. Just need to re-think the road boots now. Still want something I can walk in with a degree of comfort though, so don't think my Gaerne Skywalk MX boots are going to cut it for me. Hmm, any suggestions on that?
I think the Midlands are the best choice. Ironically they not that dissimilar to trials boots. They may even work for both applications.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #98
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stamp View Post
mb4807 , FWIW, I use the Gaerne Balance for road and light DS riding on my 800GS. I really like them, and Brian helped me out a lot with the decision. Now I'm looking for a bit more robust boot for Moab and other bit tougher DS on my WR250. This new G-Midland may be the ticket, but I'm also looking at the GX-1. I'm liking what I'm reading on the Midland...
Your situation is different....since you already have a boot for DS riding, if you are purchasing a 2nd pair I recommend something tilting toward the off road end of the spectrum, meaning the GX-1. They still don't weigh anywhere near what, say Crossfires do, so you can actually walk in them a bit. They will be way, way better for Moab, etc. and would save you $170.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 11:07 AM
Old 03-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #99
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Your situation is different....since you already have a boot for DS riding, if you are purchasing a 2nd pair I recommend something tilting toward the off road end of the spectrum, meaning the GX-1. They still don't weigh anywhere near what, say Crossfires do, so you can actually walk in them a bit. They will be way, way better for Moab, etc. and would save you $170.

BP
Good point. PM sent.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #100
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,500
Like the look of these boots a lot, and since my old ones are falling apart I might be getting a pair of these soon
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #101
Gregky
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I finally got out and spent a few days in my size 48/13 G-Midlands. I wear a 47 in most Sidi boots and this is my first pair of Gaerne boots. First off, a big thanks to Atomic-Moto, great customer service!
My first day in these was spent on gravel and backroads. I spent 9 hours in them on day one. By far the most forgiving boot I have ever worn for "day one" comfort. Excellent fit and no hot spots or discomfort. Great support for the type of riding I do (mostly gravel, fire roads, limited single track on WR250R and wee-Strom). Very comfortable to walk in and I expect them to get better with time. Although I have yet to submerse them totally, they are quite splash proof. The two buckle design fits me well. I have a very large calf and many boots with an upper buckle are uncomfortable for me. The velcro closure is at the last third of what is available when snugged on my calf but has stayed put with no signs of movement. So far, I have no complaints at all. I cannot imagine a better dual purpose boot. Perfect compromise between support and comfort for me.

GregKY
Gregky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #102
RangerShawn
Philosopher

Oddometer: 58
Great Boots!

I broke down and bought a pair of Gaerne Midland boots from Atomic-Moto. (Great service, BTW) Great boots. First, I have fairly wide feet and they fit ok. A little snug in the toe box at first, but they are already loosening up after just a few days of riding. Might be a bit of a problem in the cold, because I think they would be too tight on me with thick socks.

Much more support than most adventure style boots, but still able to walk comfortably, if a little stiffly.

Bonus - they look great!
Old 04-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #103
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Gaerne G-Midland Video Review

Quick video product review of the G-Midland boot:

We rented some new barracks, stuck a fridge in the corner, filled it up with Bend's finest, dragged in some of our best vintage moto stuff....instant studio!!

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 04-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #104
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,989
Thumb My2Sense

I had the opportunity last week to to wear my Midlands on a 2500 mile week long tour of Arizona and New Mexico. Everything the video explains is true about the boot. Toebox, comfort, protection, et al.
I wore these on the bike (2006 Multistrada) obviously, and they where what I'd call transparent. For new boots, I never noticed any odd-ball fitment issues, rubbing, chafing, or other.

My biggest concern was how they'd function with the foot controls on the bike. Even with the lug type soles there was plenty of feel on the brake and shifter.
The best part riding was these where totally warm even with thin boot socks. My toes got chilly only in the highest and coldest climate and elevations. At 7000 feet after a heavy snowfall at 7AM was the only time I'd wished I'd warm thicker socks. Otherwise, perfect.
Same goes for hot weather. Coming across the desert in 90 degree heat on the way out, my feet never felt like they were roasting. A pleasant surprise right out of the box.

Since we had 2 days of snow in Sante Fe, I spent alot of time tourista city walking, and pueblo hiking as well. I decided to wear the Midlands over my thin tenny-shoes that where in the saddlebags. All-day comfort is what I'd call these. More comfortable than a hiking specific shoe for me, and I have 'foot issues'. I never felt like I couldn't wait to get my boots off.

I wanted a one boot does all and now I have it. I won't hesitate to wear these dualsporting. And the best part is they are extremely easy ON-OFF.
The buckles work super easy.

As a note I've always been a SIDI person. I had a pair of Adventures. Great boot those, but a bit heavier. The Gaerne's have a better feel allover, and feel lighter to the feet. Oddly enough they feel like they have more protection. I love the soles on these kicks.
A very well thought out boot.

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #105
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,865
Great vid Brian.
I concur with Rapid Dog.

I recently spent 12 days in my new Midland boots, riding through Death Valley, Mohave, Joshua Tree, and Anza Borrego.

I only had a couple days to break in the boots before the trip. As discussed in this thread, Brian suggests ordering one size larger than other Gaerne boots that you may own. After much deliberation on this, I decided to stick with size 10, since my SG10s have become slightly loose. I am happy with my decision.

I am also very happy with the boots. I was looking for an adventure boot that is between my SG10s and Balance Oiled. I found it. They provide more protection than the Balance in the foot area, and the sole feels more supportive. I would like to see a third buckle, and a more substantial shin plate. But that is not a deal breaker for me.

We had every kind of weather on our trip, from 90+ deg heat to below freezing, snow, hail, and driving rain. Not a drop inside the boots. I was never cold.

The tread pattern is excellent, I was able to easily climb around on rocks at the "Racetrack", hike the "Ring Trail" at the "Hole In the Wall" State Park, and check out several abandon mines and ghost towns. Guys with metal toes had issues when hiking in rocks, and if you have a short inseam, metal toes can be down right dangerous tip toeing / pushing a big adventure bikes around.

And now the Midlands are used daily commuting to work.

I really like them, and I think you will too.