Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #16
Matified
been there done that

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Ok, picked it up yesterday. Here is a crappy phone pic.

I haven't ridden it yet, but am pretty impressed so far. A lot of CRF450X parts will fit, such as the Rekluse clutch and hand brake I will be installing, brake pads, bodywork, and the Supermoto wheels, although I need to get another front hub with the one way clutch and drive mechanism laced up to my wheel.

I was pleasently surprised that the suspension doesn't have the usual 150lb rider settings?! In fact, it seems about right for my 200+lb weight. The Paioli forks are also very cool, with a pre-load adjuster normally only found on street bikes. It also came with tapered pars and adjustable bar mounts similar to KTMs. I will report back after a ride.
Nice , I want one of those in a more offroad version, would like to see how MX tracks would be in awd.
Matified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #17
Bike Nomad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
You Are in Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matified View Post
Nice , I want one of those in a more offroad version, would like to see how MX tracks would be in awd.
They do offer the off road only version http://www.christini.com/bikes/christini-awd-450 . MRSP of $6895.00
Old 03-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
Trail Ryder
Your Hero

Oddometer: 1,007
Wink

Quote:
... the Rekluse clutch and hand brake I will be installing ...
Wow!!! An AWD bike with a auto clutch and electric start should be like a tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matified View Post
A few years back, I was at a Christini demo day. They had a bunch of AWD Honda CRF250R and CRF250X's on hand, 3 woods loops, each progressively harder, and a MX course.

I grabbed an X and headed for the woods. On the easier loop, there was no advantage, maybe even a disadvantage due to the added weight. On the intermediate loop, there was a few technical log crossings and this is where the Christini started to shine. On the AA loop is where the Christini really blew me away (lot of steep and sudden hill climbs). I would have struggled to complete 1 loop on my mono-drive woods bike; I did 2 AA loops on the Christini and was as fresh as a daisy.

The engagement of the front drive was seamless.

The MX guys said that the air born inertia of the front drive unit put it at a disadvantage on the MX track.

The Christini the ultimate steep and snotty day bike. This thing was built for events like Erzberg.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #19
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,264
There is a reason the AMA outlawed AWD in MX and flat track!! Also, the never ending gyro effect of the front wheel in the air during wheelies means they go forever..........

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
I bet it could hydroplane pretty good!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #21
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
Hmmmm...hadn't considered that, but not too sure I'll be exploring that either?

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #22
Bike Nomad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
Why do you think it would hydroplane anymore than a similar conventional rear wheel drive bike with similar tires?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #23
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 661
The simple answer is you would have both tires digging for traction and could maintain a higher SOW. And speed is what you need to stay up. Clear as mud.
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #24
Bike Nomad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
The simple answer is you would have both tires digging for traction and could maintain a higher SOW. And speed is what you need to stay up. Clear as mud.
What is SOW? I went to my old stand by http://www.acronymattic.com/SOW.html and out of 59 definitions only seepage of water seemed close?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #25
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Finally got a chance to ride it off road yesterday. The bike worked great, made it all the way to the top of Pat's trail, which is a rocky, steep switchbacked hill climb . About the top 25% was about 6" of melting, heavy snow churned up by 4x4 quads, but the Christini mowed through it, no problem. Even with 15psi in the 50/50 dual sport tires, it easily climbed up the steep switchback trail with rocks, roots and a snow topping.

At the top I rode a ways up the fire road, which was about 10" deep in the untracked parts. It was actually easier to cut throught the untracked snow than trying to follow the quad tracks, which were hard to stay centered in and caused the bike to wag. The bike would spin both tires and just motor through the deep, heavy snow, but it did cause the steering to feel very stiff, like you turned the damper all the way up. Not sure if it was the snow or AWD or both?

The bike felt pretty normal otherwise on the average trails, but a little stiff. I need to adjust the suspension a little more and it is probably still breaking in too. It does have slightly less steering lock than my CRF, but I really didn't motice it much. The drive ration, 64% under drive to the front, seems a little low? It allowed quite a bit of sideways drifting before the front pulled it backwhen flat tracking on Peter Burns road. I think some adjustment there will also make it better, maybe about 75-80%?

Hopefully I will have my Rekluse clutch and hand brake for the next ride. It was weird having to operate a clutch and using my foot to engage the rear brake?!? Some more suspension adjustments should also smooth things out. More to come!

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #26
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
KX Christini

Quote:
Finally got a chance to ride it off road yesterday. The bike worked great, made it all the way to the top of Pat's trail, which is a rocky, steep switchbacked hill climb . About the top 25% was about 6" of melting, heavy snow churned up by 4x4 quads, but the Christini mowed through it, no problem. Even with 15psi in the 50/50 dual sport tires, it easily climbed up the steep switchback trail with rocks, roots and a snow topping.

At the top I rode a ways up the fire road, which was about 10" deep in the untracked parts. It was actually easier to cut throught the untracked snow than trying to follow the quad tracks, which were hard to stay centered in and caused the bike to wag. The bike would spin both tires and just motor through the deep, heavy snow, but it did cause the steering to feel very stiff, like you turned the damper all the way up. Not sure if it was the snow or AWD or both?

The bike felt pretty normal otherwise on the average trails, but a little stiff. I need to adjust the suspension a little more and it is probably still breaking in too. It does have slightly less steering lock than my CRF, but I really didn't motice it much. The drive ration, 64% under drive to the front, seems a little low? It allowed quite a bit of sideways drifting before the front pulled it backwhen flat tracking on Peter Burns road. I think some adjustment there will also make it better, maybe about 75-80%?

Hopefully I will have my Rekluse clutch and hand brake for the next ride. It was weird having to operate a clutch and using my foot to engage the rear brake?!? Some more suspension adjustments should also smooth things out. More to come!

I have one of the 2 KX450F Christinis , I had the drift you mentioned, so I switched the top sprocket near the gas tank to a 15 tooth from 16,,, which left too much slack,,,so I went back to the 16 and added 2 teeth to the rear wheel sprocket. I have been quite satisfied with this ratio.

I'm subscribed to this thread now so I'll be interested to read your comments on the Christini. I use the KX mainly on mountain trails, but plan to Dual Sport it. I just added a Rekluse and believe it's the greatest thing 2nd only to Steve Christini's brilliant all wheel drive system.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #27
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
any news?
tdrrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #28
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

I've got the Rekluse EXP and will be doing the install of that, the rear hand brake, and my tall bars this weekend. Pics to follow.

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 04-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #29
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
Just an observation . . . I'm amazed at the firmness of judgmental, negative declarations expressed by individuals who've never ridden, perhaps never even seen, a Christini bike!

Their lists of hypothetical/theoretical reasons why the AWD system,won't work (all untested and none demonstrated) remain PROFOUND.

Similarly, Aesop's fox judged some grapes SOUR, without tasting them.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #30
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
i'm planning to buy a 450ds in the near future.

how are the ergos for a 6'2" rider with a 32" inseam and week knees?
tdrrally is offline   Reply With Quote