Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #91
CHAOSHUMOUR
THE UNSANE

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoomike View Post
Well i just signed the papers last night on a brand new 2010 G650GS in all black. I am coming off a GSxr 600 loved the bike but way too uncomfortable for long rides. I have always loved the look and practicality of the "enduro" so I took the plunge! I have 2 things that i dont really like in appearance that maybe you guys could help with..
1. the factory mirrors... would like the change out they look "old man" to me, I like the look of the 2012 mirrors but they are $250 for a pair from BMW,,,anyone know of a good aftermarket ones that angle a bit with a part # or link.
2. I would like the change the signal flasher covers from the ugly orange to the clear or WHITE colour that seem to appear now on the 2012.
3. Looking for a simple rear pannier 35l or so that will easily clip on to the back of the bike. I just want the case with a lock and thats it nothing with electronics or lights just something simple.

I am pumped to ride this bike didnt even test drive it as there is still snow on the ground here in Ottawa Ontario! I have read tons and tons of pages and looking forward to join team BMW.
Cheers
Hey Mike.

Mate looking at the 2012 mirrors, they appear similar to the TUONO mirrors. My shorter,more psycho half replaced the Mickey Mouse mirrors on her Buell to TUONO's and they are phenomenal.

We pick her G650GS up on saturday, so I will be able to complare the bikes side by side and let you know.

Here is a link for them: http://www.americansportbike.com/sho...how/16113.html (this is a BUELL site, but gives you an idea.)

CHAOS OUT!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #92
skidoomike
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Wow those are exactly what I am looking for! Would like to know for sure if they fit, if they do i will order them! Cheers
skidoomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #93
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
E

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganstromrider View Post
I have a 2009 BMW G650GS. Up until now, I have had the dealer do all of my oil changes because I wanted to ensure the warranty on the bike. I now want to start doing my own oil changes but I have never done an oil change on a dry sump system. Is there a link here somewhere that will have instructions on how an oil change is done on the G650GS. Also, If anyone has a extra service manual laying around that they would like to sell I would be interested.

Reply to this thread or send me a pm.

Thanks!
I also have a 2009 g650gs. I have done all my own oil changes, I have put over 22,000miles on the bike.
1. Take off the left and center tank plastic, you will have to unscrew the left turn signals, but you don't have to disconnect them, let them hang.
2. Make sure bike is on side stand and not center stand for next step, less mess.
3. Remove the oil reserve drain bolt, make sure the oil tank cap is removed.
4. After oil is drained from reserve tank, reinsert drain bolt.
5. Place bike on center stand.
6. Remove skid plate.
7. Remove oil drain plug.
8. Drain oil.
9. While oil is draining, remove oil filter cover, going to get a little messy here,unless you find a way to catch the oil from the filter when you loosen the cover.
10. Remove and replace the filter, cleaning up any old oil.
11. Replace the cover.
12. Replace the oil drain plug.
13. Pour in the proper amount of oil in the oil reserve tank.
14. Insert the oil cap
15. Start bike, let run for a few seconds. Turn off. Remove oil cap and check oil level. Don't add or remove oil if needed yet.
16. Replace skid plate, plastics and oil cap.
17. Start bike and run for a few minutes. Remember bike and oil has to be hot to get proper oil level readings.
18. Turn off bike, wait one minute, check oil.

Takes me about 30 minutes to do these steps to change the oil. Hope this helps.
16. Reattach the skid plate and all the plastics and turn signals.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #94
CHAOSHUMOUR
THE UNSANE

Oddometer: 120
Autocomm

Hey.

Has anyone used an AUTCOMM on their G?

Have you hardwired it to the bike?

CHOAS OUT!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #95
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
I also have a 2009 g650gs. I have done all my own oil changes,

1. Take off the left and center tank plastic, ......
David, That was an awesome tutorial. Definitley print and save material. - Thanks
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #96
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOSHUMOUR View Post
Hey.

Has anyone used an AUTCOMM on their G?

Have you hardwired it to the bike?

CHOAS OUT!
Nope. For me, the fewer wires connecting me to the bike the better... Scala Q fan here......
Old 03-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #97
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racwld1 View Post
i am 63 years old and been riding and racing motorcycles since i was 5, this just may be the most fun motorbike i have ever had.
Sweeeet! Nice mods on the G. I'd say, ride safe but in your case, I guess i don't have to...
Old 03-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #98
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoomike View Post
I have 2 things that i dont really like in appearance that maybe you guys could help with..
1. the factory mirrors... would like the change out they look "old man" to me,
Cheers
Better save you pennies. Appearance farkels are fine however, young man/old man, what you will find out is that the stock seat will kill your ass. Most uncomfortable, forward sloping seat I have ever ridden on. Well, almost the worst.

You can try the cheap way out for circulation (Bead Rider, Airhawk) but the only way to fix the way BMW has the seat pushing you into the gas tank is to have it re sculptured or get a different seat.

You'll see....
Old 03-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #99
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Larrygee, hope it helps. Where in west central florida do you live? Even though I live in Indiana, my wife lives outside of Williston Florida. I visit her about every 3 months or so.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #100
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
Larrygee, hope it helps. Where in west central florida do you live? Even though I live in Indiana, my wife lives outside of Williston Florida. I visit her about every 3 months or so.
I am in Tampa/St. Pete. Williston is a hop, skip and a jump from Tampa.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #101
bushman_uk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Looking seriously at the G650gs as a lighter machine across country than my R1200gs. What sort of fuel range you getting on road and off road and what would you say was a comfortable cruising speed .

Thanks
bushman_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #102
racwld1
n00b

Oddometer: 8
[QUOTE=LarryGee;18181885]Better save you pennies. Appearance farkels are fine however, young man/old man, what you will find out is that the stock seat will kill your ass. Most uncomfortable, forward sloping seat I have ever ridden on. Well, almost the worst.

You can try the cheap way out for circulation (Bead Rider, Airhawk) but the only way to fix the way BMW has the seat pushing you into the gas tank is to have it re sculptured or get a different seat.

You'll see....[/QUOTE
i agree 100% on the seat i changed my 1100rt and my klr to a sargent and it is really nice, want to do the same thing for the gs, i changed the mirrors to carbon fiber bar end mirrors and they work really well in town i dont know about a trip they may be a bit small. i also changed the bars to a klr handlebar which is wider much better feel and controll,
racwld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #103
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
We want pictures. Before and After.
No pics yet as there is no bike..... BUT, it should be here this week! Checked with my sales guy on Friday and he said it had made it into the country and shipped out of the NJ warehouse. So I picked up the facotry hand guards and ordered up the tall windscreen that comes on the Sertao.

Also have in the garage and ready for install:

extra mount and cradle for my Zumo 450
FZ-1 fuse block
harness set up for my Gerbings heated liner (yeah, like thats really needed in San Diego!)

Also have to decide if I will spring for the extended warranty or use that cash for hard bags.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #104
jc9995
Commuting BEAST :)

Oddometer: 213
I've been driving myself crazy for days now trying to decide if I can install some aux lights on my 06' f650gs. I bought some HID fog lights expecting them to consume 35w each....but they actually eat about 50w each. As you know oir bikes only have a 400w capacity minus all the other stuff....so I am concerned whether the bikes electrical system can handle the load.
My questions is; has anyone on here installed and run, driving or foglights? Any Problems? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #105
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9995 View Post
I've been driving myself crazy for days now trying to decide if I can install some aux lights on my 06' f650gs. I bought some HID fog lights expecting them to consume 35w each....but they actually eat about 50w each. As you know oir bikes only have a 400w capacity minus all the other stuff....so I am concerned whether the bikes electrical system can handle the load.
My questions is; has anyone on here installed and run, driving or foglights? Any Problems? Any suggestions? Thanks.
We have an '11 G650GS and plugged in a heated jacket which uses 78 watts, coupled with a pair of gloves consuming 24 watts for the pair. The G650 wouldn't quite pull this load and discharged the battery.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote