User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,932
Why not wait until 2014?
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I agree, get the R1200GS in it final form or wait a few years for the fixes

Get a used 1200Gs get a new R1200GS get a new liquid cooled 1250GS, If your choice i knew about that liquid cooled boxer I didn't like the intakes exhaust and I wanted airfoil. Also your right if you look back in 2009 people were writing the same thing they are now it going to be out this fall with liquid cooled boxer, I assure you the motor is plenty of power for 205lbs man. More power with the liquid cooled boxer would only gain me speeding tickets. if you want to ride now then buy R1200GS, if you can wait till and wonder take the chance to wait a year later, Why it been not liquid cooled of so long was because it is a boxer and the piston stick out in the air flow. it make it simpler design and am more reliable engine for adventure riding. I had a long time to think about this. I came to conclude this is my very first BMW. If I had waited i miss the iconic 90 year old design. At this point their only one reason to pursue a liquid cooled boxer for BMW, The boxer engine people want over the bricks, but functionally it not the most efficient design for a adventure bike, its low to the ground, its very wide for trails, You could get a better bike for dirt, you want a BMW though look for a liquid cooled in the future RTs road models,l but keep the air/oil for adventure riding. You can always later on sell it and take that money and buy a liquid cooled boxer with a very nice downpayment in hand. Then you'll look more rich having 2 type of boxers you get nostalgia with others about the old and new design. you weigh out negatives and you weigh out your positives, it different for everyone thats how i look at it. it still your choose, get a used 1200GS, get a new R1200Gs or get a new liquid cooled 1250GS. i was happy with my purchase of R1200GS and having the 90 years old history only et better with age. Ill look for the liquid cooled in the RT road bike the cowling will hide the ugly intakes from the top or GT i may be over the boxer engine now that i have a R1200GS

flightestman screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 05:33 PM
flightestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #18
Oggie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Why not wait until 2014?

I am too impulsive and would not to be able to wait that long.

After reading through some posts and my personal feelings, I am gonna go ahead with the 2012 model. Will post up once I know the exact specs/options I am gonna get.

Thanks for everyones posts on this matter.
Oggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #19
sh2515
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
If you get one nowish I'll take a week off and we can go up Scotland camping, I live in Yorkshire so on the way to Scotland from you. Everyone who had bikes round here has lost the ability to camp let alone on a bike; so it would be good to have someone to go with, also gives me an opportunity to try one of your MRE rat packs - sound Gucci to the British stuff I used to have.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #20
rforrester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Buy a used GS until the 2013 is stateside. Sell the used GS with little depreciation and buy the new one. The new one is under warranty, who cares if it breaks.
rforrester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #21
Ridestrong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
+1

You can probably buy a 4 yr. old model for about 1/2 of what a brand new model costs, maybe even with some nice farkles on it! There won't be very much difference between an '08 and a '12 as far as your experience is concerned. Save a ton of money, ride a few years, make sure you like the GS concept, etc. If you want to then purchase a new water cooled version you won't have lost too much on your investment. Resell it or trade it in, whichever you have the patience for and save a chunk on the water cooled, once it's been out for a little while and you get a feel from this web site, etc. if its the direction you want to go. You have a great bike now, you haven't spent much, in a couple of years you don't spend much to upgrade, if that's what you still want. How can you go wrong. I know the wives are tight with the budget, and rightly so. If she was to look at this practically and from a budget viewpoint, she will see the sense in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rforrester View Post
Buy a used GS until the 2013 is stateside. Sell the used GS with little depreciation and buy the new one. The new one is under warranty, who cares if it breaks.
Ridestrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #22
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,617
Buy a used 2010 (or as I did, a 2009) and ride the hell out of it until the water cooled GS is introduced, clears the initial bugs out and the aftermarket kicks in. Typically, one to two model years.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #23
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,088
Cool. You'll enjoy the bike.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #24
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
Get a new 2012 or you might even be able to find a new 2011, you will not be disappointed and as some of the other posters have said the release date for the H2O model is not set in stone. Think of all of the opportunities to not only ride the island but also the continent (Stelvio anyone?), this is a perfect opportunity for you, don't let it go Man!
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #25
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I would buy a used GS i would be happy with used.....

I wouldn't buy used i mean,,,,,im probe going to keep for a long time at least 5 year i shooting for 10 years but we will see i say thing like that but then 5 years I'm ready to sell the bike i thought i was gong to keep forever I'm get tired of looking ati i worth some cash that been the pattern anyways. know this in 2012 that is the new bike BMW sold. i like to see them drop the boxer, but keep the modern new spy picture design in it second phase, I'm thinking possibly make a 4 cylinder, but instead of making it less wide like straight six make it super light and 800GS not, make it ESA, ABS linked, drive shaft, ASC, wet clutch, sloppier clutch, LEDs i don't know if BMW will ever do that. the Mulitstrad I'm also looking at to be my next and keeping the R1200GS. Build a very light straight 4 liquid cooled or maybe rotary engine they don't make any torque though. They just can not risk the possible loss of not having a boxer engine in their line up. Even if the function of it is a lot better. Id retire the boxer in GS frame, I did feel the power lacking after i was at stop light it felt like a dog when i hit the certain part of RPM. I thought I broke something inside the motor at first, no lights were on and then I got power back a few miles up as I was then moving through the air I assumed. I can red line it out, but its pretty close to unusable power. I'm not really looking at another GS model, . i like to lie to buy that 848 EVO ducat Thanks for all you're posts I enjoy reading them Instead trying to out run the cops from the bar i now will camp out set a hook and hope to have cat fish for breakfast. I agree i think it won't be out for another 2 years it be 5 years with the new motor. also the dealer used the word that bike won't be out for a long time which mean it won't be out next year. for you though i tosundliek you can't use it til you get back here, it all in your mind if you do buy air oil will that make you happy for me it did and does i never regretted buying the airfoil i love it.

flightestman screwed with this post 03-13-2012 at 08:07 PM
flightestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #26
stephenm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggie View Post

I can get the 2012 immediately to use here in the UK which I woudl love
If you plan to keep the bike long term, riding in the UK on salt gritted roads will set in motion corrosion problems. Something to be aware of.

Stephen
stephenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #27
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Personally if I was stationed over there in EU I would buy one of the cool ADV bikes available to that market but not here in the states.. like the Tenere 660. The 1200 will be waiting for you when you get back to CONUS.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #28
Oggie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Personally if I was stationed over there in EU I would buy one of the cool ADV bikes available to that market
Then I gott pay taxes unless it is used, as the BMW has thehe military program like volvo etc.., but since I have always wanted a GSA, now is the best time for me to get one.
Oggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #29
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,637
I still say you should go ride an 08 for example, and a 2012 back to back and see if you think it's worth the extra cash. While the 2012 will be smoother, I personally don't think there is enough of a difference to bother with. Really, you could almost take this back even further if you can deal with the brakes.

If you're in love, as you say, this is the bike you always wanted, then you won't be happy with anything else. Nobody knows what the 1250 will be, or when it will come out. Don't miss a year of riding over it. No offense meant here, but you could be dead by then.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #30
moulin6801
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I have a 2012 GSA. I would wait for the simple reason that so far, GSA/GS does not have cruise control, and the new 2013 will. Being a guy that loves to travel and coming out of a Harley Street Glide with an awesome cruise control, it sucks not having one. I have already 5K miles on my GSA and that is the only thing I don't like about this bike.
Try to install one will be around $1K
If you are like me, that can not wait too long to be without a bike. Get a good deal on a used, ride it for a couple of month and sell it. You will get back your money and if you drop it, and you will, as you practice riding off road, you will not be upset and will be a better rider by the time you get your new one...
Good luck.
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote