Inanely Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,140
Thanks mates, I'm on it!
Redbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #647
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 602
+1 on 1 . They also help fix the mandatory broken middle hole on the dash ... normally centre right .. to go with the broken hole on the windscreen. Now if they only invented a good windscreen gasket that you don't rip off three grommets every time you take it off.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #648
italiano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Regulator fix

After a long long time with a r65 with a totally discharged battery, yesterday i changed the battery and i went over the charging system to test one by one all the system Regulator, diode board,stator, housing, rotor, brushes... etc. everything was ok but with no AMP reading. So as i have another r100 i started to interchange one by one all the parts until i found again that everithing was ok but no charge. So i called a friend and he tell me that i only need to do is to polarize again the system and i only need to put a little positive current on the rotor.
And that was it.
5 hour of work fixed in a few seconds.
italiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #649
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla View Post
Wouldn't have a part number handy, would you?

Yes. Part number??? I have never seen a lawn and garden battery fit that DIDNT need the battery box altered juts a bit. Please share. Are you sure your battery box is stock and not altered?
Old 03-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #650
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano View Post
After a long long time with a r65 with a totally discharged battery, yesterday i changed the battery and i went over the charging system to test one by one all the system Regulator, diode board,stator, housing, rotor, brushes... etc. everything was ok but with no AMP reading. So as i have another r100 i started to interchange one by one all the parts until i found again that everithing was ok but no charge. So i called a friend and he tell me that i only need to do is to polarize again the system and i only need to put a little positive current on the rotor.
And that was it.
5 hour of work fixed in a few seconds.
If I'm not mistaken this is a procedure we did back in the '50's for Generators not for Alternators. I hope an electrical genius straightens this out. I'm certainly not one of those. It had to do with the Voltage regulator and I don't think it applies to the Airheads.

Anybody?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #651
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
I looked at an '86 R80 today that has some corrosion on the aluminum: the owner lives near the ocean.

Do the wheels, lower fork legs, engine cases, etc clean up well? There's another bike FS locally that looks better and has lower mileage but is $1,000 more. But if the aluminum doesn't respond well to TLC it may be worth it.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #652
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
I looked at an '86 R80 today that has some corrosion on the aluminum: the owner lives near the ocean.

Do the wheels, lower fork legs, engine cases, etc clean up well? There's another bike FS locally that looks better and has lower mileage but is $1,000 more. But if the aluminum doesn't respond well to TLC it may be worth it.
See the first few pages of my build thread, another bike that lives near the ocean:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593047

It can be done and an easily maintainable finish achieved. Lotsa work the first time, though.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #653
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Still one of my favorite alltime threads and I continue following along
Old 04-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #654
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
Still one of my favorite alltime threads and I continue following along
Thanks, you're too patient. Action coming soon.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #655
loflyn71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
/5 SWB battery straps

Does anyone have a decent replacement for the battery straps? Having 3 /5's, it seems most all of my straps have dry rotted or will soon need replacement. Any ideas welcome.
loflyn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #656
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by loflyn71 View Post
Does anyone have a decent replacement for the battery straps? Having 3 /5's, it seems most all of my straps have dry rotted or will soon need replacement. Any ideas welcome.
Any old pairs of Crocs lying about? The strap might just fit?
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #657
helion42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by loflyn71 View Post
I don't know if you're familiar with www.bmwhucky.com but I got some battery straps from him for a resto project. He's a pretty good parts source. ...also, bungie cords/duct tape are pretty effective at most anything.

*edit - I forgot to mention, Hucky's parts are discounted from the list price unless otherwise noted. The battery straps are marked $18.50, but ended up being like $11

helion42 screwed with this post 04-30-2012 at 08:40 AM
helion42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #658
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,747
How about some big honkin' zip ties wrapped completely around the battery box and battery? It's worked on my LS for a couple years now.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #659
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
How about some big honkin' zip ties wrapped completely around the battery box and battery? It's worked on my LS for a couple years now.
That works good, done that before. The bigger the better then you can release/reuse them. That's holding a much bigger battery in the garden tractor and that thing takes much more of a beating with me than most airheads ever do.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #660
Oddmartini
Oddmartini

Oddometer: 2
Great parts, great service

In the header there's a suggestion for great places to get parts, so here's mine... BMW bayer in Germany (google them). The service is exceptional, fast postage (to Australia anyway) great advice and I don't think there's a part they don't have. I can't recommend them highly enough.
Oddmartini is offline   Reply With Quote