I've some in ktm orange some were
Made by Lumberg

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #244
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,447
Paul; I think mounting it flatter would solve your issues. I have my F2r mounted pretty flat; I have to move back slightly when standing to see the odo, but not too much. And I never noticed not seeing the tire. I'm always standing in technical terrain anyway, so I don't think the roadbook would make any difference.

Of course ideally the odo would be above the F2r, but until I can afford a Rally Moto Kit, this will do.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #245
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
It's pretty spooky riding in a sitting position on any kind of technical terrain because of how much it blocks the view.
Funny thing is I actually feel like I am a better rider with my lower view blocked. It forces me to look farther down the trail like I should anyway.
Help support my racing addiction and look cool doing it! Buy a T-shirt or hat from the Dakar Dream Store
drc42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #246
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
I do not know what the name of the ICO connector is. If you find a place to purchase these little connectors, you will be my hero.
There are several manufacturers that make that type of M8 circular connector. The most convenient for actual purchasing in USA at a reasonable price is to get them from Mouser or Binder USA:
http://www.mouser.com/catalogviewer....US&catalog=645
http://www.binder-usa.com/psearch.ph...OfContacts%3D3

Those two plug/screw right into the ICO connectors, though they are different manufacturers.

Related links (I spent a LOT of time a year ago looking at these):
http://www.bradharrisonsales.com/select_nano.htm
http://www.finecables.com/en/Product...id=251&Bid=308
http://www.lumberg-automationusa.com...&term=Cordsets
http://www.ifm.com/ifmus/web/padv/09...0_010_010.html
http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...l__direct_0914
http://www.conec.com/catalogs/c2/#sec07
http://www.phoenixcontact.com/indust...7844_52624.htm
http://www.hspcon.com/product/wpsc-cable.php
http://www.turck-usa.com/Products/Co...fast/Cordsets/
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #247
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
There are several manufacturers that make that type of M8 circular connector. The most convenient for actual purchasing in USA at a reasonable price is to get them from Mouser or Binder USA:
http://www.mouser.com/catalogviewer....US&catalog=645
http://www.binder-usa.com/psearch.ph...OfContacts%3D3

Those two plug/screw right into the ICO connectors, though they are different manufacturers.
Dude, you are the man!

Here are what the switches look like in aluminum,

Here is Rev2, 10deg instead of 20, anti glare black, just begging to be scratched up,

Moved the mount all the way towards the rider, more like Dukes and added the RMS mounting bracket.

Tonight going to rewire the motor control and add LEDs for night riding, you can just see the wires for the light switch upper right corner, will be mounting a TT Vector up top for now and keep testing the Striker..

Just to follow up on the position, while standing, I don't even know the roadbook is there and have unobstructed view, can ride singletrack no problem. But I can't use the roadbook either, almost need to be sitting to work and understand it. That's how I spooled the paper, was dicking around with it while not looking at it. Thanks for the tip Chris.

Lefthand has a few ledges going up the 4 wheel drive road and while looking down at the roadbook then up again to see what I was going to hit sucked, so I gave up there and just stayed standing. I have to get more used to it, but I doubt I'll be trying to look at it much while standing.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #248
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,222
Road Book Holders.

Hey; Now everyone wants a roadbook holder.

My dream for many years has been to do the Dakar, but time, money and women have kept me from it. But that didn't stop me from getting prepared for it. I've setup 500 mile practice loops, and setup my bike for navigation, for many years. I've seen the work required for the Dakar, but most of the other rallys would allow a much different setup, with alot less equipment for alot less money. The basic reading of a road book and or GPS at speed seemed to be the issue. So my setup at the east coast rallymoto events was a precursor and test of the equipment necessary to enter a world class event. Some riders joked at how much navigation equipment I had on my bike for a rallymoto event, and now are trying to figure out what works after 4 or 5 years. Half the battle is being able to view the info needed, the other half is will it survive the event. The only way to be sure your setup will last 1000 miles, is to ride 1000 miles in similar terrain.

One of my first "Rally Brackets" worked fine in the Pine Barrens, for thousands of miles, but as soon as I went 100 miles in the Blue Ridge Mts. it broke. My buddy Chris, who finished the Hero's Legend ride said, "you would have never made it to Morocco"

So here's an example of my current setup. I run this setup in east coast enduros just to test it. However they don't let me use the GPS, so I put the route sheet holder where the road book holder is.

A Rally Mangement Services Bracket, ICO checkmate, and custom Headlight mount bracket. I normally run a GPS where the roadbook holder is but the effect is the same. Same appx weight and I am able to read it at speed.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com

jack splash screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 04:10 PM
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #249
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Dude, you are the man!

Here are what the switches look like in aluminum,

Here is Rev2, 10deg instead of 20, anti glare black, just begging to be scratched up,

Moved the mount all the way towards the rider, more like Dukes and added the RMS mounting bracket.

Tonight going to rewire the motor control and add LEDs for night riding, you can just see the wires for the light switch upper right corner, will be mounting a TT Vector up top for now and keep testing the Striker..

Just to follow up on the position, while standing, I don't even know the roadbook is there and have unobstructed view, can ride singletrack no problem. But I can't use the roadbook either, almost need to be sitting to work and understand it. That's how I spooled the paper, was dicking around with it while not looking at it. Thanks for the tip Chris.

Lefthand has a few ledges going up the 4 wheel drive road and while looking down at the roadbook then up again to see what I was going to hit sucked, so I gave up there and just stayed standing. I have to get more used to it, but I doubt I'll be trying to look at it much while standing.
Dang Paul, you're sure hooked on making the rally brackets Not that I'm complaining or anything. When your bracket shows up, I'll mount everything up and go for a test ride. I've got a good route made up already, so a proper test is in order. Thanks for the attention to detail.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #250
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Dang Paul, you're sure hooked on making the rally brackets Not that I'm complaining or anything. When your bracket shows up, I'll mount everything up and go for a test ride. I've got a good route made up already, so a proper test is in order. Thanks for the attention to detail.
Let me know how it goes and be brutal so we can get it right next go around.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #251
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:

I'm a bull in a China shop by nature, so don't give it another thought
The bar switches are momentary right? Easily replaced if they fail or are they potted in the housing? When I croak, I want a HDB coffin with hand guards and a Nav tower
Old 03-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #252
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,742
Quote:
you must not know Aaron if you have to ask him to be brutal
Help support my racing addiction and look cool doing it! Buy a T-shirt or hat from the Dakar Dream Store
drc42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 AM   #253
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
My first roadbook

I just received my F2R roadbook in the mail today direct from Portugal.

I have a few questions on power options. The directions says to wire into a switched line. I was wondering if this unit could be wired into a fuse block I just ordered that is unswitched?
If the unswitched is not a option what line would be easiest to splice into. I have a 2010 KTM EXC 450.
The tower parts are showing up day by day as the Greece Rally gets closer its getting harder to sit still waiting!
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot

RuckedUp screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 03:49 AM
RuckedUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #254
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
I think the usual method is:
new line from battery -> fuse box -> power switch -> splice to roadbook & odo

my electrics guy does all my stuff for me, I just watch him and pretend I'm learning
Old 03-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #255
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,048
This is the view of my setup on the Safari from atop my helmet...My eyes are about 8 inches below the cam mount so I don't have quite the view of the camera. I never found the nav setup to be an issue as far as blocking the view of the terrain. Standing up I could see the odo and roadbook clearly. I tend to sit a lot but stand up for the real nasty terrain...and if needed while standing I could see the front wheel just fine. While riding 100 mph down some of the fast sections I would sit on the back of the bike and tuck down to get out of the wind and hide a little behind the wind break created by my numberplate/roadbook. In those sections the ICO was just below my line of site so I could scan the display with minimal distraction. The main issues I had was that the small numbers on the ICO were sometimes hard to read and the display liked to cloud over with dust...especially difficult to see through with the sun at your back. I think an ICO backup with the watchdog as primary would be a good setup. Watchdog above, ICO below.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote