User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #1036
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,459
Nice couple of hour nap in this set up:

Hennesy Hammock w a High Country Trail Gear Underquilt and my 20 degree sleeping bag as an over quilt. I picked up hammock in the flea market here from doc2b and the UQ from Ebay. It's good for 20 degrees but is filled with puffy synthetic fill not down. It's loft is very good IMHO.

I had a few issues with holding the UQ in place. Again, I'm a noob to hammocks and really set this up with a prayer and some knowledge gained from watching Shugg from HF's UQ videos.

I didn't know where to get shockcord from so these red bungie cords from Wally World will have to suffice for now:

I used two each on the sewn tabs and connected them to a third cord. I then clipped this cord into a small carabiner and attached that onto the hammock's suspension.

I used the tail end of the suspension cord to tie into my carabiner for extra support. I repeated this on both sides of the hammock.

This allows me to spread the UQ open so that I can climbing the HH. here is the view of these cords from the other end:

I wasn't happy with how the UQ moved around when I climbed into the hammock. Since I can't sew a stitch, I bought this clamps to hold the hammock to the UQ:

This allowed for the UQ to stay close to hammock and give that nice tight fit Snugg spoke about in the video:

No CBS after an hour so - not so bad so far. Probably could be replace with a clothespin but I like the screw down clamp for securing it in place.

I'll keep you posted on what happens after a longer time tryout. The system may be heavy for the backpacking crowd but I'm planning on using this on my motorcycle. Besides, the size of the synthetic UQ alone may be a turn off for the hiking crowd. This is extremely puffy!

I'm posting this here and on HF for feedback on how to improve on the suspension system for the UQ. The bungees work for now but any suggestions would be appreciated!
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #1037
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,080
well I have been procrastinating about it but finally tried to hang the hammock in my Sprinter van. I'm debating on going to Daytona in a few weeks for Bike Week. I am still trying to decide if I will drive or ride.(90% that I'll ride). Anyway I wanted to try to rig up the Black Bird to use inside the van if needed. I will have to move the passenger bench seat but it will work inside the van. The straps on the BB are even long enough to connect so I don't have to do any extra rigging.

'09 Yamaha T-Max
'06 Honda Silver wing
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #1038
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,457
Laugh

Hung out this weekend with my son at an Airsoft War! Lots of rain!!! Nice and dry!!

Old 03-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #1039
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,366
Exped Ergo Hammock Combi

Exped Ergo Hammock Combi. Are these out yet? Anybody got comments? They make nice tents, pads, etc.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #1040
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,459
Tentsile Hammocks

How about this big bad boy:

From Gizmodo.com:

Quote:
This Hammock Tent Is Like a Swanky Hanging Three Bedroom Apartment
Is there anything worse than setting up camp only to have a family of bears attack, dragging off your food and other campers? That (probably!) won't happen if you've packed a Tentsile tent which hangs out of the reach of predators.

Setting up the Tentsile isn't as easy as hanging a hammock—you'll need three sturdy trees and the wherewithal to loop straps around their trunks high above the ground. But when all is said and done, the 5, 8, or 12-person temporary shelter should provide a safe perch above wildlife and mother nature. It also means you don't need to find a clearing to set up camp.

Just keep in mind that the largest 12-person version weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 pounds when it's collapsed and packed away. So it's not ideal for backpackers. And while pricing information isn't forthcoming on their website, it's safe to assume it's a bit more expensive than a regular tent. But if you've just moved to a new city and haven't found a place to live yet, it's probably far cheaper than a bachelor pad. [Tentsile via Treehugger via Gizmag]
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #1041
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Have a look here:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=37547

http://youtu.be/5msjsCrOCus
http://youtu.be/_lWMWLa0urw

It should be out this spring. There are places that are taking pre-orders.
To me it looks like an excellent set-up.
Really looks like a great design. I've got a bottom opening HH and the banana position is just not for me. This looks better. But I still wish there was a way to use a hammock in a tree less environment... like a rally or state parks, etc.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #1042
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I think it looks far far too short. I'd also have a concern about the number of lines and the possibility for damage in transit etc.

I think it's great that a firm like this is bringing out a new product, but i can't understand why they've made it so short.

If you have a clark NX you can easily set it up on the ground, with the tarp above set up on a trekking pole each end. You do need something underneath it though so it doesn't get damaged
Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:12 AM   #1043
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

That's interesting BB. If someone had one I'd love to give it a try, but I have to say that I'm not trading for my NX250, it's just too comfortable, too warm, too easy to set up etc.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #1044
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
http://youtu.be/5msjsCrOCus
http://youtu.be/_lWMWLa0urw

It should be out this spring. There are places that are taking pre-orders.
To me it looks like an excellent set-up.
I'm not smart enough to sort out the complicated set up...good grief there are a bunch of steps to go through just to make it work. Then there is the UQ set up issue because pads are of the Devil.

I'll K.I.S.S. with the WBBB/Traveler (adjustable webbing) and Toxaway tarp using my moto bungees thankyouverymuch.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #1045
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep, I can't help but wonder how fast and dry you could set the thing up in the rain. Right now my tarp goes up, then hammock underneath, then UQ which is already attached. Everything apart from the tarp top stays dry
Old 03-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #1046
Jedi5150
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post
How about this big bad boy:

From Gizmodo.com:
The thought of 12 people hanging 20 feet off the ground in a 100 pound hammock made me laugh out loud.

I'm not knocking hammocks at all, but there are some things in life that you should just say to yourself, "That sounds like a very bad idea". This would be one of those times. That thing has "catastrophic failure" written all over it.
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #1047
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
I'm not smart enough to sort out the complicated set up...good grief there are a bunch of steps to go through just to make it work. Then there is the UQ set up issue because pads are of the Devil.

I'll K.I.S.S. with the WBBB/Traveler (adjustable webbing) and Toxaway tarp using my moto bungees thankyouverymuch.

it really doesnt look that hard to setup....

the production version looks to be much easier to setup with the capability to setup the tarp first from the button holed dyneema tree straps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzkIsRY-dI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVBWOX6f1J4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLnBuWhclOY&list=UUWZ6EZUm06GGUVjWQpy4bvg&index=7&feature=plcp

Back country edge has them in stock right now.

http://www.backcountryedge.com/exped...ock-combi.aspx

i figured i would give it a try since i already had the downmat 9 XL which is what the hammock was designed around.

mine will be here tuesday so i will be sure and post up a report.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #1048
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,803
Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #1049
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
wounder how many permits you'd have to pull to hang at the state park
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #1050
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
personal prototype I:
grey ripstop nylon (3m x 1.5m) us$3
bug netting (3m x 1.5m) us$3
zipper (5') us$2
rope (4mm) us$4
2 pieces 12"
2 pieces 3m
stuff sack us$2
nylon thread us$2
seamstress us$10
tarp us$free
(found it in the garbage)
total us$26

with attached bug net, 5 foot side zipper, hammock 3m long, 4 months traveling around spain.

2008-06-29 Tarragona

2008-07-08 Malaga
i know the pic looks like its saggy in the middle, but i found it to be very comfortable sleeping on my side

2008-07-02 Cadiz
roped around the pole, but it wasnt set in concrete just to the chain link fence

2008-07-05 Tarifa
bug net out, when not in use, hammock just flipped over

2008-09-23 Ibiza

Photobucket
yours truely
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote