User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
rideecono OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Storing a trailer truck on the road advice needed

Question: what experiences have you had with storing a truck and trailer while on the road? My goal is to embark on my second trip down to Houston from Chicago during the second week of April. I want to trailer the bike to the halfway point, store the truck and trailer, then ride the bike the rest of the week. How is this typically handled? I want to make sure the truck and trailer will be there when I return in a few days.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
If you stop at a hotel and stay the night they'll usually be okay with you leaving your vehicle there until you come back.

At least that's been my experience.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
I've left car/trailer at a hotel one time. Stayed one night. Left the cars/trailers there for nearly a week. Can't remember if we paid for that, or not. It was 1999 at a LaQuinta in Colorado Springs. Worked fine, but I can't imagine it being really all that secure.

You could also pay to "store" your truck/trailer at a mini storage place. Many of them have lots for RVs/boats and even if you had to pay a month's rent for the priviledge, the price isn't going to be all that much. That way, your rig will be locked behind a fence.

The last option I can think of would be to befriend an inmate here who had the space available.

Otherwise, you could just ride the whole trip.

Edit: I see on the map that if you take I-57, that puts Memphis as your halfway point. If you take I-55/I-44, that puts Joplin as your halfway point. Personally, I'd prefer to jump off in the Joplin/Springfield area, that way you can be on the bike through The Ozarks. I'll bet the larceny rate in SWMO is much lower than in Memphis...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”

rocker59 screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 01:53 PM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,648
Call self storage places. many of them have specific storage areas for rv's, boats, etc. They will usually pro-rate for daily usage.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Kevin_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Long term Airport car parks are typically safe but expensive. I don't have much room at my house so I use local storage comapnies for my travel trailer and Cargo trailer. They also have cars and trucks stored for others. I would expect to pay around $80 a month for what you are looking for. Call around you might get a deal somewhere as a first month move in rate without a long term contract.

Note, if you park it in a public street there are local laws that allow vehicles to be towed after 30 days. I don't know if this is true for where you are going.
Kevin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
rideecono OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Ideally, I would ride the entire way. I want to have as many options as possible due to the fact that weather can be dicey in early April. Like the idea of storing at a RV, boat storage facility. Security, i.e,, locked behind a fence is a much better option for me than leaving it in a hotel parking lot or on the street. Thanks for the advice!