Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
mtncrawler OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasomonte View Post
Mike, I just got back from a similar trip. Here are a few observations.
1. I'm not sure that you can do a temporary vehicle import from Columbus. I think you have to do that at Santa Teresa or elsewhere. If you come in at Santa Teresa there wont be fuel for like 100 miles into MX. Arrive at the border full and with some pesos (or change at Bancjercito).
2. Nuevos Casas Grandes isn't a particularly charming town. Try to get to Mata Ortiz where there is a guest house run by Marta Veloz with excellent homemade food.$35 w 3 great meals. http://www.ortizpots.com/traveling.html
3.Assuming you like riding forest roads there is an excellent route to Madera from Mata Ortiz down the top of the Sierra Madre del norte. Take the new road to Cueva de la Olla and turn south at about KM 23 to Colonia Garcia. Its a long way and no services, perhaps 100 Km of dirt. There are many stream crossings and a few tiny hamlets. The entire day is scenic and the roads are similar to USFS Rds in the US. there are a few log trucks on the south end. The last hour of the day is back on pavement from La Mesa del Huracan into Madera. I stayed at the very comfortable Hotel Casa Grande. There are also cabins north of town.
4. I didn't find Creel particularly interesting although I saw more Tarahumara there than anywhere else. Maybe camping at Cusarare would be better here.
5. I couldn't get any reliable information about leaving Batopilas except to backtrack to Creel. I spose I should have lurked around here in ADV rider until I found something. Hotel Real de Minas in Bato is excellent.
6. Tubares to Choix is scenic but there will be a lot of fast moving trucks and pick ups coming at you because of the gold mines. They will ALWAYS be in your lane on every curve. I think you could probably camp along the river because hotels in Choix are pretty dismal.
7. Ferry service is more frequent from Topalabampa (los Mochis) than Mazatlan. There is an excellent Yamaha shop in Los Mochis where you can get service if needed. Los Mochis is a really nice and prosperous little city. Its a good place to do laundry, change oil, shop etc. Seafood is awesome here.
8. Get your maps in the states. Maps are very hard to find in rural Mexico. There is a great deal of road building and many new roads are possible including a supposedly new road out of Batopilas to the west. http://wide-world-maps-and-more.amaz...9706211845.htm
9. About 1/3 of all Pemex stations listed are actually closed. Check before you go.
10. The Tecate crossing cannot process Bancjercito refunds at this time due to some equipment problem. I had to go to the eastern truck crossing in Mexicali. The road to Mexicali from Tecate is incredible.
thats it, Have fun
PM if you want my GPS
tracks
Pasomonte,

Thanks for the detailed response! I've made note of your recommendations for stops, routes, and the shop in Los Mochis on my "list". Great info.

I'll probably shoot you a PM for the tracks so that I can compare/contrast/use against the route I'm building. Just curious what were you riding?

Thanks again,
Mike
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #17
mtncrawler OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Yes, it is possible to obtain a TVIP at the Columbus/Palomas crossing
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderRider View Post
+1

And very easy to do, I might add. Of course, I got it before the mandatory charge for the full depost.

Sounds like you have some good ideas. I will say that kicking it on the beach with una cerveza fria is great and I highly recommend it. But it is a lot more fun without any time pressure. Either way, make sure to take pics and tell us all about it.
Thanks for the clarification TP and WR!

WR, right on! I'm still debating the timeline/route. At least I have an "out" in Phoenix to hustle back to Denver. My brother graciously signed up for babysitting my bike - if it comes to that. He did insist I leave the keys..
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 03-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #18
mtncrawler OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclenaut View Post
Howdy mtncrawler...looks like you have a great trip planned...if you end up w/ a day or two in Phoenix, drop me a line, we could hook up and do a ride if you have time....have a great safe trip
Thanks for the offer Cyclenaut! Somehow I doubt I'll have the time..but I'll keep it on the list in case it works out!

Mike