Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #31
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
No drifting sideways for me.. It's no more weight than a topcase mounted there, and the weight of the fuel is gone after 100 miles. For commuting, this is working out well. IMO this is the best location that does not compromise luggage capacity for long distance riding and still gives a 500+ km range. If you want to have your cake and eat it too, this is it A side mounted tank precludes mounting panniers. And Touratech is too expen$ive for me, and quite a labor intensive installation and removal. You can be sure the dealer will charge extra for labor to remove and reinstall the tank at valve checks.. It just depends on what you want to do with the bike. This tank fits my needs and I'm delighted that I did not have to bang my head against the wall when installing it. When traveling, the case comes off and a dry bag or Motofizz will go on the seat.

I was asked to show the mounting plate for the topcase:

I wonder if a Givi plate would fit on there to mount a E55 TECH?

bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #32
GB OP
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
I wondered that too. You will soon have your answer! I have a universal (flat) Givi plate coming. I know it's too big to fit, but I have an idea or two on how to support the back end of the case. I'm sure it won't be pretty, but it's all about function, not form. Stay tuned.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #33
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Well I got my package today down here in Oz and it all looks the goods.
Firstly the front bolts where very hard to get in and as others have mentioned they bottom out early. I used some spacers as others have. When mounting the top plate I too had trouble getting the M8 bolts to reach the rear adaptors but with a bit of a push i managed to make it happen. The front bolts though bottom out by approx 2mm before the luggage plate is tight. Anybody else had this problem.
Looks like I will be buying slightly longer M8 bolts for the rear and slightly shorter ones for the front.
I think its a great product but these little issues should not be happening.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #34
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZZY-GS View Post
Well I got my package today down here in Oz and it all looks the goods.
Firstly the front bolts where very hard to get in and as others have mentioned they bottom out early. I used some spacers as others have. When mounting the top plate I too had trouble getting the M8 bolts to reach the rear adaptors but with a bit of a push i managed to make it happen. The front bolts though bottom out by approx 2mm before the luggage plate is tight. Anybody else had this problem.
Looks like I will be buying slightly longer M8 bolts for the rear and slightly shorter ones for the front.
I think its a great product but these little issues should not be happening.
Considering purchasing~hopefully these minor issues get sorted out.

Please keep up the reviews and photos guys!
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #35
GB OP
Mod Squad

Btw, I would highly recommend you use anti-seize compound on the threads of the bolts/spacers that mount into the bike's frame.

When I removed the 4 bolts that held my Givi topcase rack on my 8GS, the bolts had signs of corrosion on them, mind you they weren't stainless bolts, but to be on the safe side, I coated the bolts for the adv tank with anti-seize paste.

I'm going to say the rear bolts that screw thru the 2 rubber spacers need to be about 5 mm longer, and the front ones could benefit from spacers between the threads and the long spacer, otherwise the setup is perfect. I'm going to pass this onto the good people at advtank.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #36
FORE!
pretender

Oddometer: 46
Hey guys! Thanks so much for your comments here about the tank! Even though we have put this tank thru some serious testing, there is always a possibility that something will pop up that we did not anticipate. This proving process will help us refine the product to its perfect intended use. Be sure that any improvements we make will be made available free of charge to those who have already purchased the tank. Know that this tank is not for everyone, but we see some exceptional uses for it. I come from a racing background and having a tank in this location, that drains first (rather than holding the fuel until you stop, unbolt something, pour it into your stock tank, spill some, bolt everything back together, etc) provides the optimal scenario for expanding our range/route options. I've seen many other companies put together a rack/plate system in the back and ask more than 50% of what the price of this tank AND plate retails for.

We have already sourced longer bolts for the rear mounts, and will be sending a set out to those who have already purchased the tank. These bolts are A-2 grade stainless steel, so rust & corrosion on them should not be an issue. Additionally, after reviewing this thread and others, se have seen some additional mounting uses. We will be including a set of spacers for the front mounts that allow you to use aftermarket grab handles. Again, a set of these spacers will be sent to those who already have the tank.

If you have any other questions or comments about the tank, feel free to post them here or PM me and I will answer promptly (assuming I'm not out riding ).

Scott
AdvTank
FORE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #37
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORE! View Post
Hey guys! Thanks so much for your comments here about the tank! Even though we have put this tank thru some serious testing, there is always a possibility that something will pop up that we did not anticipate. This proving process will help us refine the product to its perfect intended use. Be sure that any improvements we make will be made available free of charge to those who have already purchased the tank. Know that this tank is not for everyone, but we see some exceptional uses for it. I come from a racing background and having a tank in this location, that drains first (rather than holding the fuel until you stop, unbolt something, pour it into your stock tank, spill some, bolt everything back together, etc) provides the optimal scenario for expanding our range/route options. I've seen many other companies put together a rack/plate system in the back and ask more than 50% of what the price of this tank AND plate retails for.

We have already sourced longer bolts for the rear mounts, and will be sending a set out to those who have already purchased the tank. These bolts are A-2 grade stainless steel, so rust & corrosion on them should not be an issue. Additionally, after reviewing this thread and others, se have seen some additional mounting uses. We will be including a set of spacers for the front mounts that allow you to use aftermarket grab handles. Again, a set of these spacers will be sent to those who already have the tank.

If you have any other questions or comments about the tank, feel free to post them here or PM me and I will answer promptly (assuming I'm not out riding ).

Scott
AdvTank
Customer service in a nutshell.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #38
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
Customer service in a nutshell.
+1

BMW could learn a lesson here about how it should be done.

Btw, any chance of Givi plate adapter? Thanks.
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #39
GB OP
Mod Squad

Scott is a stand up guy. I contacted him and he was on it right away. This is a totally minor issue, as you can see, the tank is on the bike and functioning correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
+1

BMW could learn a lesson here about how it should be done.

Btw, any chance of Givi plate adapter? Thanks.
Still waiting for the Givi plate to arrive.. I bought a used one in the flea market and it's coming in the mail... hopefully before summer
Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #40
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
I agree with GB, I love the way the tank works, I've gone thru one tankful so far and it works just as expected. The fitting issues I ran into were minor, and it's great that they are working on addressing those issues so quickly. Not that I think they should mark the price up, but I'd have gladly paid about $100 more for what it is. Couldn't be happier!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #41
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORE! View Post

Scott
AdvTank
Cheers Scott,

Great service Mate. I have fitted mine and couldn't be happier. Look forward to getting the new bolts and spacers.
Thanks again for following this up. It doesn't happen often enough.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #42
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
so..... should I buy this tank and have ourselves our own 10G+ thread?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767390

We would still get twice the mileage right?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #43
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 551
Paging FORE!

You have a PM regarding issues my dealer is having with the install.

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #44
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 551
Thumb Thanks FORE!

Scott responded promptly to my issue. Another + for their customer service

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #45
scarygary
Drawing blanks

Oddometer: 361
this thread is seriously lacking photos. Let's see the whole bike from the side.
scarygary is offline   Reply With Quote