Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #76
theDoktor
Husky Racer

Oddometer: 132
You need a better set of tires! That DRZ can handle the muddy areas much better partially because of the knobby tires. Get yourself a set of DOT knobbies and the trails will be easier for you with probably fewer crashes. The trails your photos show looks like fun, though. You've done good being able to successfully navigate them.

BTW, spraying the under sides of the fenders and other areas where mud tends to collect with Pam cooking spray or something similar just before you head out will help cleanup a bunch when you get back. Keep a close eye on brake pad wear, particularly in the rear when you're riding in muddy conditions. The grit will eat up pads.
theDoktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #77
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDoktor View Post
You need a better set of tires! That DRZ can handle the muddy areas much better partially because of the knobby tires. Get yourself a set of DOT knobbies and the trails will be easier for you with probably fewer crashes. The trails your photos show looks like fun, though. You've done good being able to successfully navigate them.

BTW, spraying the under sides of the fenders and other areas where mud tends to collect with Pam cooking spray or something similar just before you head out will help cleanup a bunch when you get back. Keep a close eye on brake pad wear, particularly in the rear when you're riding in muddy conditions. The grit will eat up pads.
My tires are about 1/2 worn (Michelin T63 on the rear and a wing on the front) and they caked up pretty bad as you can see. I was slipping all over the place. Good tip on the Pam and I'll be sure to keep an eye on the pads, they're brand new.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #78
Guttooth71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I cant believe I just found this this thread, its great. I grew up few miles from Scranton, miles and miles of trails to ride in the Mountains in that area. You should look into it, West Mtn, Bald Mtn, Cambells ledge-Old Forge/Newton Mtn, Montage Mtn. I recognize some of the landscapes in the pictures posted. I currently live a few miles from the Delaware Water Gap on the PA side, and I believe from your one ride report you were on the Dirt road on the Jersey side, Old Mine road I think it is called.

Anyway the Pocono's/NEPA is like a mecca for motorcycle riders, countless interesting roads. Looking forward to some more reports. Btw do you like your Suzuki, how reliable has it been for you?

The Tooth
Guttooth71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #79
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttooth71 View Post
I cant believe I just found this this thread, its great. I grew up few miles from Scranton, miles and miles of trails to ride in the Mountains in that area. You should look into it, West Mtn, Bald Mtn, Cambells ledge-Old Forge/Newton Mtn, Montage Mtn. I recognize some of the landscapes in the pictures posted. I currently live a few miles from the Delaware Water Gap on the PA side, and I believe from your one ride report you were on the Dirt road on the Jersey side, Old Mine road I think it is called.

Anyway the Pocono's/NEPA is like a mecca for motorcycle riders, countless interesting roads. Looking forward to some more reports. Btw do you like your Suzuki, how reliable has it been for you?

The Tooth
Yep, those pics were on the NJ side of the Delaware. Couldn't ride it all though as it was and probably still is washed out.
I'm loving the DR, it's been trouble free with the exception of regular maintenance. It's set up now for a 2 week trip this spring so I'll find out just how reliable it is then. I have complete confidence in the bike though and don't expect any issues.
I need to go find some of those trails in the Scranton area.

Tom Waits
Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #80
chilibizkit
Wanderer

Oddometer: 138
I agree, get some knobbies, I just put on some Dunlop 606's and loving it.

I also have the IMS tank, which will give you peace of mind when you're off on the trails. Stock tank just doesn't cut it.
chilibizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #81
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Is there that much difference between the 606 and the T63's? They look about the same. I know both of my tires need changing for this sort of riding but I also commute on the bike and it's all pavement. I doubt I'll be in the muddy stuff all that much really so I kinda want tires that do well on the road.

Tom Waits
Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #82
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,312
You just made up my mind that I need to get away from the computer for an hour or two and visit the dirt near here.
Thanks for being bad influences.
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #83
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

My pleasure, have fun

Tom Waits
Old 03-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #84
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
My pleasure, have fun
absolutely will
as long as my phone stops ringing with people bugging me, I should be out the door at 3pm
then I'll add to the little video library of roads I've been making
Old 03-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #85
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethe View Post
absolutely will
as long as my phone stops ringing with people bugging me, I should be out the door at 3pm
then I'll add to the little video library of roads I've been making
If you post it up stick a link on here so I can view it. I'd be interested to see what I missed while I was down in that area so much the last 8 months.

Tom Waits
Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #86
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If you post it up stick a link on here so I can view it. I'd be interested to see what I missed while I was down in that area so much the last 8 months.
just go on youtube and look up the user wingnutthecat
I've been throwing them up there (wingnut is our 21 year old cat's name)

the first one from today is going up now, they take hours to upload unfortunately
today I mainly stayed on pavement as my rear tire is just about gone
Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #87
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Damn, what happened? Did the bike just slip out from under you Lethe? Had to laugh when you got up and said "OK, time to go home".
Now why couldn't I find roads like that down there when I was out scouting? I knew they existed, just couldn't find much.
Thanks for sharing the vids. Hope you were ok after the fall.

Tom Waits
Old 03-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #88
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Damn, what happened? Did the bike just slip out from under you Lethe? Had to laugh when you got up and said "OK, time to go home".
Now why couldn't I find roads like that down there when I was out scouting? I knew they existed, just couldn't find much.
Thanks for sharing the vids. Hope you were ok after the fall.
It was a 50 degree day but it was single digits just a few days before so there was still ice around
I was fine, the bike broke the shift lever though, no big deal.
I rushed home, cut that video down to just the wreck and threw it right up on youtube

That's Upper Woods Road north of 371, it turns into dirt about a mile north of 371 with a lot of offshoots that I need to go back and check out.
Yesterday I did the south part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyTWi...ature=youtu.be

Weekends are usually pretty open for me (I do know the upcoming one isn't though), I'd be happy to meet up somewhere and show you some of this. I'm still finding some as prior to getting the KTM I mostly avoided the dirt roads
Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 AM   #89
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethe View Post
It was a 50 degree day but it was single digits just a few days before so there was still ice around
I was fine, the bike broke the shift lever though, no big deal.
I rushed home, cut that video down to just the wreck and threw it right up on youtube

That's Upper Woods Road north of 371, it turns into dirt about a mile north of 371 with a lot of offshoots that I need to go back and check out.
Yesterday I did the south part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyTWi...ature=youtu.be

Weekends are usually pretty open for me (I do know the upcoming one isn't though), I'd be happy to meet up somewhere and show you some of this. I'm still finding some as prior to getting the KTM I mostly avoided the dirt roads
I don't get down that way anymore. I was dating a woman down that way but that's over. I loved riding down there though and I imagine I'll be heading down periodically to do weekend rides once the weather breaks and I can do some camping. There's a lot I didn't have a chance to explore down there.

Tom Waits
Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #90
Jim K in PA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Great pics and great thread. I live just south of Tannersville off of PA715. I just started riding last year, and only got about 2500 miles on my new/old airhead. This season it will see many more miles, both paved and not so much.

I'll have to come back to this thread and post up some pics of some dirt/gravel a few minutes from my house.

<---clicky

1975 BMW R90S Hack - Olga
Olga's story - adopted 3/22/14<---clicky
Jim K in PA is offline   Reply With Quote