Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #121
combustor777
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Well, those are just personal opinions reflecting your likes and dislikes. You're editorializing. You present no cause-and-effect data whatsoever.

I've empirically established what works for me through actual observation. It's obviously apparent that no matter what, someone is going to be pissed off, so I've quit caring about it. I may annoy some people, but that means that they have noticed me.
Agreed. Not only do turtles finally get out of the way, and people have stopped turning in front of me, but the tax collectors are unwilling to aim the LIDAR gun into the xenon hi beams. In the daytime it's stupid to get pissed off about bright lights; you don't stare into the sun do you? Use peripheral vision.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #122
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 3,413
daylight visibility

Are white LEDs visible in bright sunlight? How about the xenon? I agree about the multiple lights. the twin halogens on my Street Triple get attention when I weave a bit and point them at a car's side window. I've seen people jerk and look around. Some of the faired sportbikes have only one light on on low beam and it's off to the side. Doesn't seem very useful in daylight.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #123
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I've empirically established what works for me through actual observation.
Those are just your personal opinions reflecting your likes and dislikes. You're editorializing. You present no cause-and-effect data whatsoever.

Dorian's view is backed up by vision studies with links posted over and over again in threads like this one.

Overly bright lights hurt more than they help. If you need them to feel safe you really should rethink your riding habits IMO.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-13-2012 at 10:57 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #124
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by willis 2000 View Post
Are white LEDs visible in bright sunlight? How about the xenon?

These look like some handy aux attention getters - anyone have a pair?

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #125
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
You missed the point.

A few riders seem to have an unusual amount of trouble with motorists not seeing them.
It is not unusual for emergency vehicles lights to confuse some motorists and cause accidents.

How prudent is it to try to compensate for one issue by creating another?

"A few riders seem to have an unusual amount of trouble with motorists not seeing them." You sound like a very skilled and defensive driver, avoiding most close calls long before they become such. I too, don't have many "close calls". That being said, only a fool would challenge what's been proven again and again that subconsciously, many drivers fail to 'see" motorcyles... that is identify and ACCEPT the motorcycle as a motor vehicle worthy of the same right of way as a sedan, dump truck, etc. Daytime high beam use is a conspicuity tool, the same as hiviz clothing. It's not in any way dangerous. Back to the "few riders"... while MOST of the time, us seasoned veterans can avoid close calls... the reality is, once in a great while, we won't see the threat barrelling up a side street, blocked from our view by structure, texting, about to blow through a stop sign... and MAYBE, just MAYBE that conspicuity might jolt the inattentive driver back to reality with a bright light in the peripheral vision. If it saves my bacon ONCE, it's an effort well spent.

The modulator is something I think makes you conspicuous LONG distance, but I agree, it could be mistaken for "I'm flashing my lights to signal that you can turn left in front of me because I'm such a nice guy". I'm not willing to take that risk.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #126
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
Headlight modulators are pretty rare here, but every-time I've ever seen one I was convinced it was emergency services of some kind, until it got close. Once it did get close, I was just plain annoyed at being distracted.

If I get annoyed at someone on a bike, I can imagine others going into full on road rage.

Also, when I'm paying more attention to your headlight than anything else, perhaps checking if I need to make way to let you past through the traffic, then it's nice and safe for you but dangerous for me.
+1

This happened to me a few times on the same road going/coming from lunch and the same bike. I saw a flashing light in my rearview mirror and started to move over until I saw it was just some geriatric lard mountain on a Yamaha Voyager with what looked like a 1,000,000-candlepower strobe light for a head light.
2003 Ford Focus SVT
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #127
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
"A few riders seem to have an unusual amount of trouble with motorists not seeing them." You sound like a very skilled and defensive driver, avoiding most close calls long before they become such. I too, don't have many "close calls". That being said, only a fool would challenge what's been proven again and again that subconsciously, many drivers fail to 'see" motorcyles... that is identify and ACCEPT the motorcycle as a motor vehicle worthy of the same right of way as a sedan, dump truck, etc. Daytime high beam use is a conspicuity tool, the same as hiviz clothing. It's not in any way dangerous. Back to the "few riders"... while MOST of the time, us seasoned veterans can avoid close calls... the reality is, once in a great while, we won't see the threat barrelling up a side street, blocked from our view by structure, texting, about to blow through a stop sign... and MAYBE, just MAYBE that conspicuity might jolt the inattentive driver back to reality with a bright light in the peripheral vision. If it saves my bacon ONCE, it's an effort well spent.

The modulator is something I think makes you conspicuous LONG distance, but I agree, it could be mistaken for "I'm flashing my lights to signal that you can turn left in front of me because I'm such a nice guy". I'm not willing to take that risk.
I don't think I am more skilled than average, but I am a professional driver and always drive/ride "professionally". Part of being professional is making sure others see me.
That's what this discussion is all about, intelligent use of additional lighting, helping others see you without compromising the safety of yourself and others.

I don't see it as an all or nothing situation, some bikes do have poor lighting and their high beams are reasonable to use. Then there are some bike that their low beams are entirely adequate, and using high beams will cause more harm than good.

The most important thing in staying safe is always being aware of your environment, thinking about what you are doing, and the possible outcome of your decisions. The problem is the folks who "don't care" or are ignorant about how their actions affect others.

I understand wanting to be safe, it's my job, but I don't understand a rider being so timorous that they feel the need to go over the top, possibly endangering others for a perception of security.

FWIW,
Fedex and UPS, the 2 biggest transportation companies in the world prohibit use of high beams in the presence of other vehicles because it is unsafe, illegal, and unprofessional. A complaint from a motorist is considered an incident that goes on the drivers record.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #128
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 3,413
No boss to bitch out

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

FWIW,
Fedex and UPS, the 2 biggest transportation companies in the world prohibit use of high beams in the presence of other vehicles because it is unsafe, illegal, and unprofessional. A complaint from a motorist is considered an incident that goes on the drivers record.
I don't have my employer's name on my bike or gear, so there's nobody to call if I piss you off. I say again (have you guessed my employer?), are led/hid lighting effective in bright sunlight?
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote