User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,543
I do enjoy irony.

I said in my post above that I don't nail down a route. Then I sent a PM to jules083 asking for specific routing advice from his neighborhood to Columbus. He responded with a specific route that looks promising. It isn't an obvious route, but makes a LOT of sense now that jules083 points it out. Looks like I'm trying to nail down part of a route right after saying I don't do that.

In my defense I've ridden to Columbus and back 10 times. Every single time I have trouble with roads in Ohio even though the rest of the trip offers options and variations galore. In Ohio I somehow end up stuck in traffic, in the Amish-country Oldsmobile parade, or on a freeway.

Thanks jules083

EDIT: The other irony would be that jules083 asked about routing and I spouted at length about the maps I use. Then I ask jules083 for routing advice.

Grinnin screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 03:48 PM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #17
Dusty Boots
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
When looking through you road map Atlas for possible routes to ride, look for the little green dotted routes if you want a fairly scenic route in an area you have never ridden in before and string as many of those together that you can that takes you in the direction you wish to travel.
I will then use Google Maps (Fire Fox/Google Chrome are much quicker than Internet Explorer for navigating around on it)
I like to use the 'Terrain" feature as it will show the contour lines of any area you are interested in. The closer the contour lines, the steeper the terrain in that area and usually more scenic.
You can use Google Maps to locate gas station/campgrounds/hotels to some degree, but not a complete list. I use a bunch of other resources for locating campgrounds in/near the area of my route.
Here's a couple you can use
- http://www.forestcamping.com/
- http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/

I like to use Harley Davidson Ride Planner for it's ease of use laying down my route and then transferring that over on to my GPS. Free to use, just have to register. Play around with it a bit and try out a route you make up 1st before laying down the route you plan to use for this trip, as there is a short learning curve. Mainly you have to be precise as to where you place your way points. (zoom right in to make sure that the way point is on the exact road you want and not some side road/street close by)
Your new custom route will be stored in the "My Data" section of your GPS, if it's a Garmin (Tools-My Data-Import Route from File) Locate the named route you transferred on to your GPS, highlight it and hit Import.That route will now appear under your Custom Route section of your GPS

Dusty Boots screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 05:50 AM
Dusty Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #18
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
. riding 2 up ...........................
..camping as much as possible........................
..400 miles or so a day,............................
. Packing will be as light as possible,........................
I know this a bit off topic but I couldnt resist. Good luck with the above combination. Its hard enough hauling gear for two on a long trip, let alone camping gear for two as well. Tents, sleeping bags, ?cooking gear? all take up a lot of space. This is going to be difficult. consider gathering all your stuff together and load it on the bike some time just for practice.

Camping also takes extra time, set up and tear down and all that. All to that 400 miles a day and you are in for some long days. now I will admit that 400/day is not so hard when crossing the plains. but as you get into the twisties it gets harder to do. The trip is less fun it you never have time to smell the road kill

does your budget allow for motels. just saying you might want to be prepared.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #19
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Oddometer: 429
I did not read through all the posts, so forgive me if it was said, but I highly recommend you get Madmaps for planning your routes beforehand. They give you circuits and description and you could like together the whole United States this way.

It will paved roads, but very beautiful scenic ones.

https://www.madmaps.com/
Old 03-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #20
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post

Thanks. Maybe I'm over thinking this, it's just looking like a PITA to get this part figured out.
Yep. You're probably over thinking it. BTW, what do you hope to see on the trip? Do you have some must see's that you are thinking about. In Vegas, check out the 13 mi. loop of Red Rock Canyon. Try to catch the Valley of fire too. And lastly, ride out to Hoover Dam, and hike up to the new by-pass bridge that looks down on the Hoover. You'll get some real butt-pucker going on!

Watch the blazing sun in the desert, stay covered and hydrated.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #21
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,849
if it's curvy on a paper map then it's really curvy on the ground.
that's my #1 rule
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #22
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I know this a bit off topic but I couldnt resist. Good luck with the above combination. Its hard enough hauling gear for two on a long trip, let alone camping gear for two as well. Tents, sleeping bags, ?cooking gear? all take up a lot of space. This is going to be difficult. consider gathering all your stuff together and load it on the bike some time just for practice.

Camping also takes extra time, set up and tear down and all that. All to that 400 miles a day and you are in for some long days. now I will admit that 400/day is not so hard when crossing the plains. but as you get into the twisties it gets harder to do. The trip is less fun it you never have time to smell the road kill

does your budget allow for motels. just saying you might want to be prepared.
We've done it before 2 up camping, just never this far. It all fits quite nicely on the fjr. Camp set up and breaking is pretty quick for us, I don't pack cookware or anything crazy. Motels are in the budget if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
Yep. You're probably over thinking it. BTW, what do you hope to see on the trip? Do you have some must see's that you are thinking about. In Vegas, check out the 13 mi. loop of Red Rock Canyon. Try to catch the Valley of fire too. And lastly, ride out to Hoover Dam, and hike up to the new by-pass bridge that looks down on the Hoover. You'll get some real butt-pucker going on!

Watch the blazing sun in the desert, stay covered and hydrated.
I don't really have any must sees really. Grand canyon, and try to hit as.many states as.resonably possible without getting too crazy.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote