User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #136
PonyExpres
ScratchinMyAss

Oddometer: 118
Great thread

At first I started reading this thread and thought it may be a bit morbid... After reading on I found it to be quite intersting...

It was nice of to take those folks around to see what they could dig up on their family grave sites.

Thanks. great pics too.
PonyExpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:44 AM   #137
markas
Small-time Explorer

Oddometer: 318
Very interesting story, great idea to explore and write about those cemeteries! Excelent thread!
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #138
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,673
maps

just catching up here and a question occurs to me:
what maps or online geo-resources might be best at showing the existence of old cemeteries? I've seen such marks on paper maps, such as the local favorite "Roads Of Texas". if anyone knows a more generic answer, post it!
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #139
DeBandi OP
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,100
I've heard for years that there is another abandoned cemetery on the mountain.

Today, I found it.

Names like Hogland, Baker & Handley. They're at peace on the top of the mountain facing east.

Many of the names have disappeared as the years have passed.

Charlie Baker has been at peace here on top of this beautiful mountain since 1895.

The family of Aaron Dutton Hogland updated his stone.

Thank you for your service Mr. Hogland...

Long lost cemeteries are fascinating to me.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available

DeBandi screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 06:24 AM
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #140
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,316
Thanks for continuing this saga !

Very interesting

dlrides screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 05:10 AM
dlrides is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #141
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

DeBandi
which 'mountain' are you referring to?
lookout?
sand mountain?
??

the civil war produced so many poignant and tragic circumstances. the horror is beyond anything we have known as citizens of later times.
i've been digging my ancestors on father's side for a long time with limited success - they lost everything in the war but it produced interesting side effects. somebody correct my understanding here, but a man who later became a relative by marrying one of my great great aunts was on pension from her father, my great grandfather, because he served in my g-grandfather's stead in the war, while g-grandfather continued his mercantile business as critical to the war effort, importing and otherwise obtaining commodities that were desperately needed. the son-in-law was buried in the family plot in a historic cemetery in N. Carolina. understandably, the caretakers of that cemetery don't allow rubbings/etchings of the stones so pictures must suffice
Old 03-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #142
RidingUpAndDown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Most excellent and interesting thread.

Not to hijack - rather in case someone is interested in a simple and effective preservation technique:

Here in New England there are many old, lost cemeteries/burial grounds. Many can be found thru local libraries. Often there is an Historian at your local library and/or historical society who can help find/locate these hallowed grounds, and many of these folks are desperate for folks to find and help preserve the history/information on these old stones.

My son did his Eagle Scout project in response to this need; in the oldest section of a local cemetery where many of the stones were deteriorating and difficult to read, and, he devised a way to capture the info on the stones w/out touching them, simply by taking pictures of the stones - at night, w/ hand-held lighting. Of course requires getting out at night. Then he catalogued the information and created a web site(FREE space avail off ancestry dot com) hopefully to preserve the info in perpetuity. If someone would like to do a similar preservation project to help your town/county or your very own family: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....l/default.html

daytime:
\

nighttime:

Thanks for the work and sharing a Wonderful, Thoughtful RR !

All the Best, dean

RidingUpAndDown screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 01:18 PM
RidingUpAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #143
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
YAY! Thanks for another installment DeBandi.

RidingUpAndDown-- What an awesome idea. I am going to have to use that method in the future. Your boy did a great job getting those photos. Thanks for sharing.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #144
DeBandi OP
Exploring Alabama

It happened again a few days ago. I received a private message from a complete stranger. He was interested in learning more about the history of Mary Gordon Duffee. As usual, I’m cautious when it comes to sharing information with total strangers. However, he did go through all the tedious steps required to register on ADVrider in order to reach me.

His name is Jim. He’s researching Mary Gordon Duffee for a book he is writing. I was impressed by his historical intellect, and I asked how I could help. He is requesting permission to use one of my photos in the book and wanted to see her gravestone. I met Jim and his friend, Marty, yesterday at a local BBQ joint.

We went up the mountain so I could show him the old Duffee gravesite and homestead.

Amazingly enough, James R. Bennet is a former legislator and two-term secretary of state who began his career as a reporter for the Birmingham Post-Herald. He has been a member of the American Historic Ironworks Commission, which has administered the Tannehill historic site since 1970, and is the author of several history books on the Alabama iron and steel industry. A few of the titles include:

- Tannehill and the Growth of the Alabama Iron Industry
- Historic Birmingham and Jefferson County
- Iron & Steel (A Guide to Birmingham Area Industrial Heritage Sites)

I realize now, he is not a stranger at all. I happen to own all of his books. I just had not connected the dots.

We are thankful for all the work you have done and the effort put forth to protect, preserve, document and educate on the subject of Alabama industrial history. We are all better educated because of your efforts.

Godspeed to you, James R. Bennett.

I anxiously await the release of your current book project, Tannehill Ghost Stories & Other Selected Shorts.

DeBandi

Old 03-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #145
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Thumb

Wow
I told you Dave, you missed your calling .
Maybe you can get a late start now with
Your old job behind you ...

Congrats
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #146
custmmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356

Excellent work.
custmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #147
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,085

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #148
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Timeley

DeBandi
this is such great work - timely to me since we recently lost my father-in-law, a "great one" of the great generation - died here at my home on his 90th birthday, we transported back to his beloved Birmingham, laid to rest with his bride and infant son and mother.
His mother had to "make do" in the Depression era after her husband died untimely - she bought an old building in Woodlawn area and started a grocery store on the bottom floor, family huddled down to live upstairs - all the kids worked.

But I wanted to mention this as you may be able to quickly check my facts. One of my "learning" areas to ride, was a tad contraban when I was learning - the old mining roads of Ruffner Mountain. The area thankfully has since been made into a park of sorts - nature center, etc, and rightly so since it is a lovely spot amidst a lot of less than pristine urban sprawl - My recollection is that there is an old graveyard on the mountain alongside one of the old mining paths...
oops - EDIT- found it. "Bass Cemetery" it is NEAR the nature center boundaries but not in there:
http://hauntin.gs/Alabama/Birmingham...Cemetery/2413/

thanks Google!

Also, if you haven't perused it: the Wood family for whom Woodlawn is named, has a very old private cemetery tucked away just off the main drag in Woodlawn. Mostly goes unnoticed 'cause it amounts to a lot in an old urban area, rather obscure, easy to miss.
57th street near old Woodlawn High School - my alma mater and that of my six siblings. Incredible that the cemetery reaches back to 1824!

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/12/...o_help_fa.html

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...uXuuYurw&pli=1
Old 03-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #149
DeBandi OP
Exploring Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
DeBandi
this is such great work - timely to me since we recently lost my father-in-law, a "great one" of the great generation - died here at my home on his 90th birthday, we transported back to his beloved Birmingham, laid to rest with his bride and infant son and mother.
His mother had to "make do" in the Depression era after her husband died untimely - she bought an old building in Woodlawn area and started a grocery store on the bottom floor, family huddled down to live upstairs - all the kids worked.

But I wanted to mention this as you may be able to quickly check my facts. One of my "learning" areas to ride, was a tad contraban when I was learning - the old mining roads of Ruffner Mountain. The area thankfully has since been made into a park of sorts - nature center, etc, and rightly so since it is a lovely spot amidst a lot of less than pristine urban sprawl - My recollection is that there is an old graveyard on the mountain alongside one of the old mining paths...
oops - EDIT- found it. "Bass Cemetery" it is NEAR the nature center boundaries but not in there:
http://hauntin.gs/Alabama/Birmingham...Cemetery/2413/

thanks Google!

Also, if you haven't perused it: the Wood family for whom Woodlawn is named, has a very old private cemetery tucked away just off the main drag in Woodlawn. Mostly goes unnoticed 'cause it amounts to a lot in an old urban area, rather obscure, easy to miss.
57th street near old Woodlawn High School - my alma mater and that of my six siblings. Incredible that the cemetery reaches back to 1824!

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/12/...o_help_fa.html

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...uXuuYurw&pli=1
So sorry about your father-in-law.

Thanks for the kind words and all the great information.....

DeBandi

Old 05-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #150
DeBandi OP
Exploring Alabama

Tannehill Ghost Stories and Other Selected Shorts

The book is out!

A book of Alabama folklore detailing 26 ghost stories tangentially associated with the Tannehill Ironworks and the Birmingham iron and steel district. Heavily illustrated, this volume includes 132 pages. Published by the Seacoast Publishing Company, this is a book that's fun to read leaving the reader to decide if the paranormal exists or if unexplained happenings have some other logical explanation. It will strain your imagination in a delightful way.

DeBandi