User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
ballshot OP
nOOb in training

Oddometer: 48
nOOb in Western NC - mid-May

Hey everyone, checking in for the first although I been lurking for several months. Iím a 47 year old new biker (since June of last year) and Iím still in the process of figuring out what kind of biker I am. I took the MSF course last spring and was immediately hooked. I thought I wanted a duel sport (I was thinking KLR650) but it seemed so tall, I just wasnít comfortable enough on it for my first bike. I never really cared for cruisers or crotch rockets so didnít know which direction to go. I sat on a lot of bikes, did some online research, and finally decided on a Ninja 650. Not really a crotch rocket and a more upright seating position. I love the bike and put 3,500 miles on it before I put it away for the last two months (no cold weather gear). During this time, I have spent a lot of my normal riding time reading and enjoying this forum.
Although the Ninja isnít really an adventure/touring bike, I think thatís kind of the direction I am leaning. I wonít be able to do any off-roading with it but I figure there are enough interesting paved roads to keep me plenty busy. I really liked a leftover Versys that I sat on last year which was a good deal but it also seemed a tad too tall. Looking back, that may have been the better choice but the Ninja is great and I will be on it for several years.
Last year, I did several long day rides but never overnight and this year I am planning a mid-May trip to see my sister in South Carolina. I will be generally taking Skyline Drive/BRP and spending a few days running around in western North Carolina/Tennessee before I get to South Carolina. I not making definite plans regarding mileage per day since I want to relax and enjoy the experience. Although I would love to camp, I donít think I want to undertake the extra work/expense that goes along with it, at least not on my first multi-day trip. I also figured a real bed/shower will be a big help with recuperating from the dayís ride.
Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and say Iím really looking forward to this trip.
ballshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745

Sounds like you are in for a great trip!
Camping does add some gear on the bike and a bit of a hassle, but saves a lot of $$. The BRP has camp sites along the way. Me and my dad did it in the summer of '08. We camped all the way down and got a hotel once. Some campsites have showers. I find it kinda dull being in a hotel after a day of riding, especially when flying solo.

You just don't get this in a hotel room -

We did 4-6 hours of riding everyday. We had the stops all planned out ahead, left on a Saturday morning and was back the following Saturday. Did Deal's Gap too

One thing I have found - get specific riding pants. Riding in jeans everyday is horrible compared to pants designed to breath and slid the right amount.

For one up riding the ninja will do great for this type of touring. I did it on my FZ6 which is a comparable bike.

2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Welcome to the world of two wheels, great bike and wise choice for a first one. I have a house in Andrews and frequent often. Enjoy !
Future ten is offline   Reply With Quote