Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Oddometer: 628
Hi and thanks for the questions and comments. I think you have your answers since we discussed it on the phone, but for the audience sake here are some answers:

So my questions to you are

1) Could this fairing be configured as a frame-mounted unit? As in the way the OTR product does in the link shown above (yellow DRZ)? Yes, if you are set on using the frame mount. Unless you are riding Baja races most likely not required.

2) I'm assuming your price doesn't include the light kit? If that's the case, what unit did you use below, and what approx price should I budget for? Those look awesome - and I think a better option than OTR, and certainly better than my massive pair of conventional lights. It does not include the lights. I used the Chinese LED lights that are available on ADV and elsewhere on the web. I do have a surpise coming soon as discussed.....

3) What is the weight with all lights, brackets, etc.? I weighed mine yesterday, and it weighed exactly 5lb. That's fairing (no lexan shield shown above, I've removed it) and lights. The fairing, lights, lexan and brackets weight 4lb.

4) Do you still have capacity for more - based on your answers to the above, I might spring for one - they're already in my colour? :) I will reserve one for you in white - LOL

Later,
Bern

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadius_maximus View Post
Hello aimHi,

I'm quite impressed based on what I can see - looks sharp! On my DRZ, I have a fork-mounted fairing from Simpson Detour - and it's ok, but I'm looking to do an upgrade. I explored this way back here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=522615&page=2, in post #25. For reference, my bike is in post #22.

So my questions to you are

1) Could this fairing be configured as a frame-mounted unit? As in the way the OTR product does in the link shown above (yellow DRZ)?

2) I'm assuming your price doesn't include the light kit? If that's the case, what unit did you use below, and what approx price should I budget for? Those look awesome - and I think a better option than OTR, and certainly better than my massive pair of conventional lights.

3) What is the weight with all lights, brackets, etc.? I weighed mine yesterday, and it weighed exactly 5lb. That's fairing (no lexan shield shown above, I've removed it) and lights.

4) Do you still have capacity for more - based on your answers to the above, I might spring for one - they're already in my colour? :)

Thanks
aiMhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #17
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 406
Thanks Bern!

There are no shortage of DR/DRZ riders here who will likely appreciate this ... to say nothing of the many KTM, Husky, Husa, etc riders who doubtlessly would enjoy such a setup.

Will send you pics now of the mounting hardware I made up for my SD unit - it'll show the difference in triple clamp bolts vs those of the XRR, in case there is some kind of alternative kit that could be made up for the Suzie bikes ...

Talk again soon,

CM

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 Kit Build for Dummies

canadius_maximus screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 09:38 AM
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

I think I got it for the DR / DRZ. Will send you the concept tomorrow for review.

Nice to see Dr/Z top fork clamps are super stout.

Bern

Quote:
Thanks Bern!

There are no shortage of DR/DRZ riders here who will likely appreciate this ... to say nothing of the EXC, Husky, Husa, and other marques.

Will send you pics now of the mounting hardware I made up for my SD unit - it'll show the difference in triple clamp bolts vs those of the XRR, in case there is some kind of alternative kit that could be made up for the Suzie bikes ...

Talk again soon,

CM
Old 03-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
polishadam82
black sheep

Oddometer: 103
dude thats badass i will have to get one pretty soon
polishadam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #20
canadius_maximus

It just occurred to me my phrasing of "DR/DRZ" suggests these forks/clamps are identical in these two bikes, and something tells me they are not. I don't know the details of the DR front suspension spec, others here likely will.

I should have restricted my comment to the model I know (DRZ). Not to say DR riders mightn'd enjoy such a product, though the more adv/tour bias of that bike might make those riders more amenable to a more back slanted fairing. But where I think this type of fairing could potentially make a splash is with the more enduro focused bikes (XRR, EXC, FE, TE, etc.) - and though less of a hardcore dirt bike, the DRZ as well.

Anyway - just wanted to clear that up if it was a bit muddled. Stoked to see the progress .... pennies should be lined up in a couple of weeks time to order ... :)

cheers,

CM

Old 03-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #21
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

We are here to provide as much misinformation as possible

I think they are pretty close - at least the fork clamp bolt orientation is the same so the concept for the bracket is the same. Either way someone will correct us. Let me know your thoughts on that bracket design ok.

Quote:
It just occurred to me my phrasing of "DR/DRZ" suggests these forks/clamps are identical in these two bikes, and something tells me they are not. I don't know the details of the DR front suspension spec, others here likely will.

I should have restricted my comment to the model I know (DRZ). Not to say DR riders mightn'd enjoy such a product, though the more adv/tour bias of that bike might make those riders more amenable to a more back slanted fairing. But where I think this type of fairing could potentially make a splash is with the more enduro focused bikes (XRR, EXC, FE, TE, etc.) - and though less of a hardcore dirt bike, the DRZ as well.

Anyway - just wanted to clear that up if it was a bit muddled. Stoked to see the progress .... pennies should be lined up in a couple of weeks time to order ... :)

cheers,

CM
Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #22
canadius_maximus

Dude, that you'd ask for my input is an enourmous leap of faith ... there are others here far worthier than I ... don't say I didn't warn you. Translation: I'm smart like rocks.

Replied to your pm - sounds like it's in hand, though I'm struggling to visualize from the side elevation.

CM

Old 03-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #23
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Mad rush to get my bike ready for the Kokopelli Enduro Ride from Grand Junction to Moab and back. It is put on my by the newely formed Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders AMA Charter Club http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762161. Its going to be an epic ride - 140 miles of trail one way, stay and ride Moab for a day and them back 140miles.

In order to prep my bike I have completed my Carbon Fiber Stealth Dash to go with my Stealth Fairing. The dash is high quality Carbon Fiber - handmade by me. They will be available for purchase at $60 soon from my site. Since I make them individually it will be on an order basis - but no lengthy delay expected.

As I work to add products to complement my fairing I was looking for the perfect LED light. I feel I have found the best LED lights out there to compliment the Stealth Fairing. Certified Performance USA Engineered and at a price competitive to Chinese knock-off's - check it out at http://www.aimhi-enduro.com/LED-High...-Lighting.html These are manufactured by Ridgid Industries and used in Baja and international races.

I will mount my electronics tomorrow night.

aiMhi screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 08:21 PM
Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #24
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Well done!

This looks pretty damn promising amigo. I really like the look of the Carbon Fiber Dash. Sexy. There is definitely a lot of room for customization and a lot of personalization. Very well done.

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #25
canadius_maximus

Hello Bern,

I never thought of myself as the fanboy type .... but dude, your work is just sick! Was surrounded by too many teenage snowboarders at the ski hill last night, I think.

OK - all joking aside - very impressed. Mostly so by the light choice - reallly want to see more of what that looks like mounted. Is the setup with these new lights entail two of those units you've pictured? One high one low, or will you use just one, with two LEDS high and two LEDS low?

Once you're back from Moab, I look forward to our discussion around the DRZ. I'll be ordering very shortly, based on the budget around the lighting.

Cheers,

CM

Old 03-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #26
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

CM - Yeah a true huckfest on the hill can rub off like a cat out a window. Just watch out the jibber's - Snowbonic's - LOL

I need to work on it to properly mount it up when I get back and have time but think one should do the trick in my opinion. Otherwise (1) flood and (1) spot if you want to go hunt deer as well.

Thank you for the feedback.

Quote:
Hello Bern,

I never thought of myself as the fanboy type .... but dude, your work is just sick! Was surrounded by too many teenage snowboarders at the ski hill last night, I think.

OK - all joking aside - very impressed. Mostly so by the light choice - reallly want to see more of what that looks like mounted. Is the setup with these new lights entail two of those units you've pictured? One high one low, or will you use just one, with two LEDS high and two LEDS low?

Once you're back from Moab, I look forward to our discussion around the DRZ. I'll be ordering very shortly, based on the budget around the lighting.

Cheers,

CM
Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #27
aiMhi OP
Now with Titanium

Locked and loaded to ride the Kokopelli Trail. Rode it last year and it is a blast. 140 Miles to Moab with awesome terrain. Got all the hardware mounted up and will be testing out my new Carbon Fiber Dash.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #28
canadius_maximus

Like the dash!

What about the new lights? I'm assuming you're going with the current light setup, not the new square unit?

Looking mighty fine - have a great ride, and looking forward to the post-ride review of the components!

Cheers,

Old 03-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #29
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,459
Hey Bern, Got the fairing the other day, now I can't help but share

Very nice part, finished side is a scuff and paint, no filling necessary.

I'm working on getting it onto my 690 E soon and make ready to play as well... as soon as the snow and freezing rain quits around there. Hoping to have the mounting system completed for either triple clamp mount or frame mount, light mount and navigation tower as well.

A pictures of it loosely mocked up on the 690, don't mind the "mixed use shop" :

Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #30
canadius_maximus

Hello H2W,

Looks awesome - the shape of Bern's product really lends itself to the angular lines of those new KTM enduros. I'm eager to see what kind of frame-mounted concoction you come up with. I too, am in the throes of deciding which way to go - looking forward to how you make out.

cheers,

CM