Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #61
Laser145 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
More pics

My father has the truck now and is starting to go over it and send me pictures...

The interior is rough... Paint is far from perfect, but the body seems straight!

The PO put in a new windshield, but I have to fix that rear glass. Should I stick with the sliding rear or go with a solid glass? Opinions welcome...
Old 03-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #62
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser145 View Post
My father has the truck now and is starting to go over it and send me pictures...

The interior is rough... Paint is far from perfect, but the body seems straight!

The PO put in a new windshield, but I have to fix that rear glass. Should I stick with the sliding rear or go with a solid glass? Opinions welcome...
The carpet actually looks pretty good. You can either salvage parts or get new ones for the panels, dash pad, etc... I'm going to guess the wires you see under the dash are for hooking up a radio to the stock speakers. BTDT.

I never liked sliding glass. They're difficult at best to secure and things inside can walk off.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #63
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,313
Don't know if GM still sells the Trim paints, that used to be available to the dealers for sure. Stinky stuff, more of a dye for plastics than actual paint. But yes works well, I took many interiors apart then up to the bodyshop, a few hours later reinstall looking like new again.Recovering seats on them, very easy but you need the special pliers for the cramps.

You probably want to remove the door trims anyway, if just to lube the window mechanisms, they can be a real PITA when they break or fall off the tracks and the window ends up at the bottom of the door. And a good time to clean the drain holes in the doors, they pack up then the lower door rust from the inside out.

And the little side windows, there is an adjustment on them for the tension, that way you can keep them open at speed and get some air in/out. That's something they should have kept them side windows, nowadays trying to drive with the windows open if it is raining just gets you wet and way too much wind noise.

Even the dash, typical them cracking, been a little while but I don't think they are hard to remove and replace.

Sliding window, that may be factory. Easy to break into but even easier is a 'jimmy", takes less than 20 seconds to open one of them doors,no need to break anything.

I have done more than a few service calls....Help!!! Locked my keys in!

H96669 screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 10:41 AM
H96669 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #64
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser145 View Post
So the FI will help with mileage?

What about reliability over carb models?
There was a noted reliability increase from our perspective (my family owned a used car lot, and was in the business since the mid 1980's), but it may have been the build quality and four-bolt-mains 350's that came in the FI 4x4's we used. I heard the 4-bolts were standard in the 4x4's, and the best thing to keep 'em running was to put on a new oil pump (stock is fine) whether it seemed to need it or not at about every 150k miles to have 'em running well a very long time.

I'd buy one today, and I was a Ford guy back then... but I've seen too many of those F.I. GM 350 4x4's run forever.

One neat truck to get ... and I bet you can't even find one left now - was the step-side GM's of the late 1970's or early 1980's that I believe the Chessie System (trains) ordered. Step side, regular cab 4x2 truck with a straight-six motor, but with a TH400 (I think) V8 tranny, 1-ton springs and a 4.11 or lower rear end. They'd pull houses down, but they were used hard and I doubt any lived to today.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: