ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #1021
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
chinese bike

On silver island lake we met an interesting young girl on a chinese knock off bike. Unfortunately snomore had to point out that it had a pin hole which was leaking oil. She had a boyfriend with her but apparently she owned the bike, she owned the outfitter tent and stove, and she owned the truck. Not sure where he fit in!
arrowhead rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #1022
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

weather in the 70's!!! Not sure how we will handle the colder weather come May!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #1023
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Hard to believe this is forest center!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #1024
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Even some wildlife.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #1025
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Pre ride wildlife!

Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #1026
Snomore
Northwoods Rider

Oddometer: 204
March 17th Ride

That was a great ride and the roads were for the most part solid and try. Amazing for March! There are some things to watch for (frost cracks in the road) and I forgot to tell you Arrowhead, but on the Stony River Road I hit a really juicy chuck hole near the edge of the road. It were deep. I would recommend staying away from the edge of the road until the frost is out.
Another cruel bit of irony that Arrowhead didn’t mention was the first of our temporary separations in the ride when I stopped in Finland to top off my gas tank. When I met up with him down the road near Our Place I told him I can’t pass up a gas station. Later, when we stopped at the Knotted Pine someone at the bar pointed at me and said, “Hey, you’re the guy that can’t pass up gas stations”. It’s true my 2 gallon tank is no match for the KLR super tanker, which seems to be the perfect setup for cruising those roads all-day without a single stop. We covered a lot of territory today, and I’m itching to go again.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #1027
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,251
Sounds and looks like a great spring ride. I'm jealous. I've only got a few miles on around town so far.

I feel the pain of not passing up a gas station...same deal with the 2 gallon stock tank on my KLX. The inability to tread more than 50 miles (at best) from a gas station has been unappealing. That's why I've got a 3.7 gallon tank in the garage waiting to go on my bike.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #1028
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,194
Any word from MikeS? Mike, I hope your Mexico trip is going well, be sure to post pictures if you can!

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #1029
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,665
Great to hear you Mn. ADVers are riding in March. Last week you were warmer than us here in TX. Weird weather. Makes me wonder what your summer will be like. Regardless, we are coming your way. With food. And Beer. COLD BEER...
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #1030
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
Any word from MikeS? Mike, I hope your Mexico trip is going well, be sure to post pictures if you can!
word from mexico is that mikes is not coming back. i just got back to a computer, heading back to the border tomorrow. it´s in the 80´s and i´m in chihuahua city. the pictures i have are only ten percent of what the reality of this place is. yesterday we came north and east from creel on the most gnarly 75 miles i´ve ever ridden. for one, i have a new one day record of tip overs, all on the easier parts, quantity four.

the spots where it was critical to stay up included many deeply rutted steep up hills, in the 20 percent grade area. very sharp switch backs, with plenty of vertical drop off the mountain. big rocks in trenches, and only one place to go up. another down was steep, totally covered with 3 inch plus loose rubble rock. absolutely no track down other than down the rubble, again, a 20 percent grade. i have no way of knowing how one would go up that hill. fortunately we went down, and i stayed vertical. another down hill included no way at all to get through the last track for the motorcycle, and involved a 12 inch plus drop to the switch back. all i could say to the bike was ´´jump´´.

beautiful country, wind shaped rocks, one looked like a turtle and another like a frog, and others like a certain part of the male anatomy. we rode through pines on good two tracks that reminded me of northern minnesota. however, yesterday´s ride was around 7 hours time. we finally made blacktop, and rode along at good speed. suddenly the highway truned to dirt, headed down a steep hill, and we had a river crossing to get back on the highway. the bridge was still under construction.

lots more rides like yesterday during the last weeks. and at the end of each day, we get servasas, food, and a room. all for under 25 dollars usa per day. hardly cannot affort to not travel in mexico. i´ll be here again.

i have pictures to share once i get back north. and jw, i am coming back north, so you will see my butt at your mansion very soon.

these mexican keyboards are tough, and i gave up on capitol letters.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #1031
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,251
Nice update, Mike. Enjoy the rest of the trip.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #1032
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,257
Very nice, can't wait to hear the stories and see the pictures. Safe travels M~S
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #1033
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Good to hear from you Mike. I was starting to think some of us were going to have to head down and rescue you from the drug lords! I was ready to go, honest!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #1034
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

delta diner

Annual spring trip to the delta diner. good ride guys! We had trouble dragging Snomore out of there the food was so good!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #1035
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

no rest when I got home. Time for lessons! Nothing more satisfying than hearing your first grader ride by yelling YEE HAAA!