Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,577
Motorcycle hire in Tokyo - December

Hi

Looks like I'm going to be getting a couple of free days in December in Tokyo.

Three questions:

1. Is the whether likely to be reasonable for riding (I'm okay with cold and/or wet but not icy) and if so,

2. Anyone have any recommendations where to hire a motorcycle for a couple of days (December, 10 & 11) and if so,

3. What to see within a days ride out and a day back?

Many thanks for any advice.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
Wildman OP
In my castle

Here's what I've found;

Tokyo weather in December: 12 C (54 F) ave. with a 15% chance of rain/snow

"December is a good month for traveling thanks to generally dry weather conditions. Domestic travel activity remains low during the first half of December until the beginning of winter school holidays around December 23. The downsides of a visit in winter are the relatively short days (sunset is around 4:30pm in Tokyo) and the barren state of the vegetation."

Japan Bike Rentals seems to be the place to go.

Looks like this might happen.

I'm still very interested to hear if anyone has any recommendations for places to visit within a days ride from Tokyo.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 03-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,555
Did you make it? Any advice? I am there for a few days the last weekend in March. Would love to ride a couple days.
05 R1200GS, 01 GL1800A, 99 ATK490, 93 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleetho View Post
Did you make it? Any advice? I am there for a few days the last weekend in March. Would love to ride a couple days.
Postponed to end-October/beginning-December 2012 so no personal experience yet. Let me know if you find anything.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
toma nova
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I've rented from Japan Bike Rentals - couple of Americans with a nice little operation in central Tokyo. Zumos, maps, ride recommendations, etc. Reasonable prices and well-maintained bikes.

For rides, post up on www.sbkjapan.com or www.gaijinriders.com - there's an active group of foreign riders in and around Tokyo. Lots of easy day rides from Tokyo - most riders start early and end late to avoid some of the highway traffic (but bikes split and filter everywhere, even at 70mph!).

I rode there for a few years - unbelieveable riding, scenery, and bike culture. Not to mention food, people, sights, etc.!

Post a ride report after your visit!

Tom
toma nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Thanks for the information. I am now down to one free day. I still plan to rent a bike and ride someplace. It will be my 6th country.
05 R1200GS, 01 GL1800A, 99 ATK490, 93 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

http://www.gaijinriders.com/showthread.php?9114-Eleven-Hours-in-Japan"

The last post has my comments and sort of a report.

Pictures here

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150746275969001.399434.591834000&type=1&l =f19c
84f5cf

I could not recommend Japan Bike Rentals enought. Johnathon was very helpful. The bike was in great shape.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:10 AM   #8
Kjohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks for the pics. I'm in Japan right now through the rest of the year. I'm way up north in Shariki. I don't have a bike over here but I debating on getting one. The prices are stupid high. I'll see if I can get a better deal from a G.I. over on Misawa. Right now a guy left me his Harley while he goes home for 5 weeks. I'll start exploring this weekend if it will stop raining long enough.

Kelly
Kjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
klausdorth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjohn View Post
Thanks for the pics. I'm in Japan right now through the rest of the year. I'm way up north in Shariki. I don't have a bike over here but I debating on getting one. The prices are stupid high. I'll see if I can get a better deal from a G.I. over on Misawa. Right now a guy left me his Harley while he goes home for 5 weeks. I'll start exploring this weekend if it will stop raining long enough.
Kelly
So, did you come up with a bike?
What are you looking for?
How much do you want to spend?

In case you are interested in a well maintained Honda TransAlp, please send me an e-mail: klausdorth{at}web.de.
Just very short info:
400ccm Honda TA
model 1992
well maintained (could go for a vintage bike)
less than 60.000 km on the clock
new progressive Wirth fork springs
new ACERBIS handguards
new battery
comes with Hepco&Becker Junior cases and rack
¥250.000
Shaken until July this year

This is a very reliable bike. Has taken me (and wifey) to quite some places, including two Hokkaido tourings!

More info and pics if interested.