Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #16
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 835
P.S. We do give a fuck about your day fishing but you gotta post pics!
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #17
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,366
go cheap if you can.
i dig your street bike
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #18
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckei_kan View Post
First part of off road was not bad at all. I can still take my CB if i go slowly.
But then there is a small river crossing the road. I couldn't go with my car because the road was narrowed there so I stopped the car and i guess i had to walk about 30 min to get the spot. After the river was like trail road there's no way i can go in with heavy bike unless I was an expert or imbecile.
This is what I am talking about. Before you know it the road turns to shit and you decide to go on and therein lies the smashed to bits bike part I was talking about. I won't get into how fishermen are never really happy with their current fishing spot and are dreaming about a mystical spot just over the horizon that narrows to single track, but what the hell, you got this far.

I looked at your profile and it is hard to determine just where in the Sierra Mountains you reside. There must be some metropolis nearby that has a DR250, KLX 225-250 or something light enough to keep you out of trouble that you can find a used good deal on. Now, if you have to travel a fair bit to get to where the road leads to fishing then look for 650 dual sport Suzuki, Honda or Kawasaki. They will be heavy but will feel like light compared to your 750.

Fill out your profile. There are Inmates around that may have what you are looking for or a lead on something right up your alley.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
Geckei_kan OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBMR View Post
The one piece of original advice I can give you is this: broaden your search. You can ride the bike home and have a great time doing it. I live in Alaska and have bought bikes in PA, MA, CA, and CO. Some I've shipped and others I've ridden. I tried to find a bike in Florida for awhile so I could ride the southern coast.

Good luck!
Florida to Alaska trip would be great adventure!
The moment you get your bike is the start of your adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBMR View Post
P.S. We do give a fuck about your day fishing but you gotta post pics!
Thanks I will. The place is worth to show everyone here. So beautiful place indeed...
Geckei_kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #20
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,776
$2k is plenty to get what you need, which is a DR650 - air cooled, simple, reliable, ok for highway, great runabout in general.

That CB is too nice and well-sorted to beat the crap out of just for kicks, IMO.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #21
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Mountain bike? (bicycle.)
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #22
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,621
Don't tear up that nice bike. Get a decent dual sport and you can farkle some rod holders. You will be more happy with where you can take it and the ease of getting there.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #23
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,179
I've done it both ways. I slightly modified a 500 lb. street bike so I felt it would survive some unpaved abuse.

Here it is on the Magruder Corridor in Idaho. Mostly I added crash bars and a skidplate to protect the crankcases . The exhaust is partially covered by the skidpan as well.
The bags on the tank panniers are full of soft stuff , ground sheet, spare tubes , cover etc. in case it did fall to ground. They worked well in the 3 drops over 13,500 miles. I have about $1000 in the bike and mods.

On the other hand , this is the second of three 650 KLR's I have. There all '92 models and I spent about $1000 per bike on them. They all run , I just ride this one mostly.
I talked to a fellow in Virginia who did way better . He bought one for $500 and rode it until it was stolen from behind his house.

Either way will get the job done . It's slow going in the rough on the Yamaha due to weight and lack of ground clearance. The KLR is far more dirt worthy , but still a long way from a MX bike.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote