User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #106
WTF-OVER
Yeah, Its Got a Boxer

Oddometer: 2,977
fun report..

"Adventure is taking a chance, starting down a path that you dont have all the answers to and finding that the unknown isnt always dangerous, it's just unknown."
..Simon and Lisa Thomas..

"yes thank u for noticing. it is hard being me. beauty is a curse"...
....stolen from Joey BMW
WTF-OVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #107
Jwats
Bike till u Die

Oddometer: 173
That is a good hook

Good RR keep ckick photos going. Oh, that's it, ok still good RR. Thanks, Joe
Jwats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #108
Hakatan
quality > quantity

Oddometer: 1,020
Thanks for the great ride report.

I can't believe it's been five years since I rode the Great Divide with my brothers. Good times, in a great part of the country
Old 03-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #109
WHITEHOUSE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Second time I've read your report. THIS time, I didn't wait for the picture to load! Great report, better second time around. Thanks.
WHITEHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #110
BigKnobby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Nice ride, great pics, but I could have done without the Dice Man-style narrative. Good rides (and this was a fantastic one) don't need any help. Less is more...
BigKnobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #111
QuidProMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Really? Seriously? Your on an internet forum and you want less wording? Ummm.... are you sure your in the right place?
QuidProMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #112
NCD OP
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 432
So, youze don't like my postin, huh? Those girlz was too much for ya? (Sorry, it's hard to type a Dice Clay accent!)

NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #113
NCD OP
Dirty Hairy

Now wif MOAR!

I was back in the area a few weeks ago on my Junk Drawer Trip, and managed another 100+ miles or so of the route. I motored up to Como where I left off in 2011, and it felt like home to be back up to speed on the route. It's just soooo fun!

But the bumpy road and my vigilant rehydration got the best of me, so I pulled over to take a whiz. I then realized that I was pissing at an ‘intersection’ of sorts.

Really? What the hell is this road sign doing out here? This is the ‘road’ leading to the West away from that intersection:

The sign just seemed so out of place. Little did I know that a major douching was on the way. But not from the sky.

I misjudged this crossing by a longshot. I saw the rock poking out on the left (right in the pic) and shrugged it off as shallow. Holy shit was I wrong. That rock must be sitting on a dam ledge or something. As I plopped in it was immediately apparent that this is deeper that it looked! My knees were pushing the wake, and water splashed up an onto my arms, chest, and shield. I couldn’t see a damn thing! I just gunned it and churned through and up the other side. The rut is pretty visible. Luck prevailed on that one. Damn you Ivo. (This ride was just a few days after Tropical Storm Ivo had been through.)

Salida is down there somewhere:

Through Salida for some lunch and gas, and onward toward Lake City via Marshall Pass.

It was fun to meet several Divide cyclists taking a break up on top of the pass. Hats and helmets off to those adventurous souls willing to do the CDR on bicycles. I’m a lifelong cyclist, and have done lots of crazy long distance stuff on bikes – but I think a motor is good equipment to have along on this route.

Shortly after Sargents, heavy rain cock-blocked me from taking my intended dirt route to Lake City. (Thanks Cannonshot, at least I was prepared!) But in CO, a road detour is still always a great time, and it left me with some time to chill and look around before calling it a night in perhaps the best moto camp spot I have ever scored.

Traveler’s note: Listen to the campground host if there is one. I missed that site, as it was a walk-in. I had the whole place to myself, so he suggested that spot as the best view in the place.

That's it for this installment. Now I need to get my ass back out there and see it all the way to Mexico!
Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #114
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,628
Good update! A day after torrential rains, I got stuck in some shit mud a little bit above that Badger Creek crossing. Had to so SPOT message to wife to send help to get my bike out of that shit. I need to go back and get that portion but it will wait till summer.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #115
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 814
One piece at a time is OK by me. Thanks for the update.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #116
NCD OP
Dirty Hairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Good update! A day after torrential rains, I got stuck in some shit mud a little bit above that Badger Creek crossing. Had to so SPOT message to wife to send help to get my bike out of that shit. I need to go back and get that portion but it will wait till summer.
Yessir. There were sections during the week where I could tell that if I were a few days earlier things would have been impassable. Especially in Moab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
One piece at a time is OK by me. Thanks for the update.
No problemo! It's fun to get in here, dust things off, and move forward a bit. The final push maybe next Fall or the year after. I need to research the best time to do the southern section re: weather.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #117
Hermy
Where's this road go?

Oddometer: 19
Wtf?

What was I doing in September of 11? I sure missed this kickass ride report! Glad I caught it this time.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #118
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
Day 5
After heading south from Wise River, stop at Little Joe Campground. Only 5 sites, alongside a burbling creek and river. Peaceful.

Except for one thing. There was only one other camper in the campground, and he was a very nice ex-government type, and we chatted it up a bit abould all sorts of different topics. He had been coming to this area for over 30 years, and assured me that there would be no bear problems tonight. He thought it was all just hype.

A little ways south of this campground there is a clearing, I think the sign said it was Moose Meadows, (or something like that), We saw a HUGE bear. It looked as big as a cow. It was running much faster than any cow I have ever seen and it was headed towards the campground.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #119
NCD OP
Dirty Hairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
A little ways south of this campground there is a clearing, I think the sign said it was Moose Meadows, (or something like that), We saw a HUGE bear. It looked as big as a cow. It was running much faster than any cow I have ever seen and it was headed towards the campground.
I don't doubt it. The don't put the warnings up for nothing. If memory serves me right, there were attacks not to far from here the year before.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #120
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,271
Some dude linked your report in the Ohio thread so I just read it. Freaking great. I dig your sense of humor. Nice update to the original story, too!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote