User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
MILLENNIUM FALCON OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Trials tires on the road.

I am thinking about running a trials tire on my enduro and wanted to know if anyone has experience on how they hold up with some road miles on them. This bike is not a commuter. It is my trail bike but some of the trails are 15-30 miles from my house. I am looking at the DOT shinko trials tire 110/80/19. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

MILLENNIUM FALCON screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 08:17 PM
MILLENNIUM FALCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLENNIUM FALCON View Post
I am thinking about running a trials tire on my enduro and wanted to know if anyone has experience on how they hold up with some road miles on them. This bike is not a commuter. It is my trail bike but some of the trails are 15-30 miles from my house. I am looking at the DOT shinko trials tire 110/80/19. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
There was a time like back in the 70s that all trail bikes came with Trials Universal Tyres.

They seemed to work well back then..... so why not now?

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLENNIUM FALCON View Post
There was a time like back in the 70s that all trail bikes came with Trials Universal Tyres.

They seemed to work well back then..... so why not now?

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
bass_on_tap
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Buy a PIRELLI mt43 trials rear tire, it is one of the least expensive trials tires available. It is not as soft as the more expensive professional trial tires but that's a good thing. The stiffer side walls allow you to ride the road without it feeling like you have a flat tire. They hold up well, don't get hot at 80 mph and offer good traction in the woods. I say "good" because there are lots of different conditions out there. In the rock and roots, it's excellent. In the mud it's poor compared to a knobby. I have ridden it in the sand of south Jersey Pine Barron's and it works very good. In hard pack and loam, it's great. In the rocks and roots, it excels. In muddy corners, you need to use a different approach or you'll find yourself on the ground swapped in the opposite direction. I haven't gone back to a knobby yet. I tell people who ask me if I like the trials tire, it's a lot like a tennis shoe where a knobby is like a work boot. In the mud, the tennis shoe will suffer, in pretty much everything else, the tennis shoe will get you through faster and with less slip. All I can say is try it and see for yourself. If you don't like it, folks will buy it in a snap from you because even half worn, it's a great tire with excellent traction unlike a half worn knobby which is pretty much useless. Good luck.

bass_on_tap screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 07:01 AM
bass_on_tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
MILLENNIUM FALCON OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info guys. I could run the Dunlop up front but I couldn't find a 19" rear. Shinko and bee rubber are the only ones I have found so far.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
ManiacalChicken
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Pirelli MT43 is what alot of enduro guys are running and all i heard is good results.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
bass_on_tap
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacalChicken View Post
Pirelli MT43 is what alot of enduro guys are running and all i heard is good results.

The Pirelli MT43 is DOT rated also.

I don't know anybody who uses a trials tire up front.

bass_on_tap screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 07:02 AM
bass_on_tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
Crazy_Dave
Back'in it in

Oddometer: 580
I will be running a MT43 on my 450EXC as soon as my second beadlock comes in. I dont think they come in a 19in tho.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
MILLENNIUM FALCON OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah I checked but sadly they dont come in 19's. I have heard some really good things about the shinko 255 and they have a 110/80/19 for around $100, so I might give em' a shot. Has anyone run them on their bikes?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,544
I had good results from the Shinko SR241 tire. I mostly used them for commuting. I was pleased with the off road and road performance of the tire, and I got about 4000 miles out of the rear tire.

Not a great tire for mud.
nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
MILLENNIUM FALCON OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Front tire??

What are you guys running up front?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass_on_tap View Post
Buy a PIRELLI mt43 trials rear tire, it is one of the least expensive trials tires available. It is not as soft as the more expensive professional trial tires but that's a good thing. The stiffer side walls allow you to ride the road without it feeling like you have a flat tire. They hold up well, don't get hot at 80 mph and offer good traction in the woods. I say "good" because there are lots of different conditions out there. In the rock and roots, it's excellent. In the mud it's poor compared to a knobby. I have ridden it in the sand of south Jersey Pine Barron's and it works very good. In hard pack and loam, it's great. In the rocks and roots, it excels. In muddy corners, you need to use a different approach or you'll find yourself on the ground swapped in the opposite direction. I haven't gone back to a knobby yet. I tell people who ask me if I like the trials tire, it's a lot like a tennis shoe where a knobby is like a work boot. In the mud, the tennis shoe will suffer, in pretty much everything else, the tennis shoe will get you through faster and with less slip. All I can say is try it and see for yourself. If you don't like it, folks will buy it in a snap from you because even half worn, it's a great tire with excellent traction unlike a half worn knobby which is pretty much useless. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
nanotech9
** Slidewayz **

Oddometer: 1,437
all kinds of stuff... I usually combine an MT43 with a Moto-Z Terrapactor intermediate up front (natural rubber, local dealer imports them).

They hold up great. I regularly run 100+ on the '04 KTM 450 EXC with the MT43 on the rear at 8psi and RAIL the corners on the blacktop. VERY stable, even at those speeds. Can pretty much drag a knee on them.

The Moto-Z holds up well on road too. Very aggressive in the dirt as well. The soft terrain is nearly the same, and works well in sand.

the MT43 is such a great tire I would recommend you re-lace your hub to an 18" rim.

They last a while too, and even after a 3 or 400 miles, you can go spin it up a little on some hard pack and it'll sharpen the knobs up for you, and its almost like new again...
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
'86 KTM 250 2-smoker resto-project
nanotech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
James Bond
Tight is best

Oddometer: 69
I have been running the MT43 on my 530 for some time. The biggest drawback that I have found is that if you ride steep ground a really narly downhill is pretty scary. As soon as the rear locks up, and it will, it is like skating on ice.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
WR_guy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
I have been running the MT43 on my 530 for some time. The biggest drawback that I have found is that if you ride steep ground a really narly downhill is pretty scary. As soon as the rear locks up, and it will, it is like skating on ice.
How true...there is plenty of traction until you lose it and then there is none.
WR_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #15
nanotech9
** Slidewayz **

Oddometer: 1,437
get off the brakes and get on the gas! For sure the back tire won't lock up and slide...

although the downhill might get a lot scarrier! :)
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
'86 KTM 250 2-smoker resto-project
nanotech9 is offline   Reply With Quote