Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #91
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
Mmpf.... this is beginning to be ridiculous and getting dangerous too as maybe someone may think that what you are posting here might be useful.

How do you come only on the idea with these 1.5 mm?
Who has written except yourself these odd numerical data up to now?
Where from do these very odd lines of thought come?
Can you not read what other members and and me write down here?
I have this certain feel that you only read what to you personally like, anything else written down too you do not follow?

As I already posted the clearance between a piston and the cylinder depends to the diameter of the piston and the material of the sleeve or sleeveles cylinder, if it is ironcast sleeve, a sleeve out of steel or an aluminium cylinder plated with Nicasil f.e.

These parameter will result in different clearences between piston and cylinder, then we don't have to forget that the upper part of the cylinder is always more exposed to heat then the lower part therefor the clearance between cylinder and piston has to be different to follow the dilatation.

I will not post the formulars for this but here the rules of thump for "older" two stroke engines with solid skirt pistons, (The piston diameter should be measured on top, at the middle and at the base of the piston to find out the max diameter) the diameter of a steel sleeved should be depending to the piston size):

diameter cylinder 50 - 59 60 - 69 70 - 79 80 - 89
piston clearance top 0.30 0.35 0.42 0.48
piston clearance middle 0.14 0.17 0.19 0.23
piston clearance base 0.10 0.12 0.14 0.17
(dimension is given in mm)

(The 1.5 statad by the previous posting is not normal for trials machines if you would use 1,5mm for the Bultaco 350cc ultra short stroke engine which has a piston with 85mm in diameter the piston would seizd at once.)

To the odd rest of posting #88 I have lost any desire to reply ... my only desire now is to push the ignore button to a special member here which I will do now.

I suggest you come back on here after using your TY200 in competition for a year, and tell everyone whether or not its seized up, and if you feel its more competitive and reliable than a properly modified TY175! And as a matter of interest how many big bore TY motors have you built up to now, and how did you get over the fact that the transfer ports are much too small, which tends to prevent big bore bikes revving out?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #92
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post

To the odd rest of posting #88 I have lost any desire to reply ... my only desire now is to push the ignore button to a special member here which I will do now.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #93
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Seems weird that someone who relies on net forums for accurate technical info relating to the TY Yam, seems to feel that Bob Ginder who has been working on and modifying TY Yams for nearly 40 years, has far less first hand knowledge and experience relating to these bikes than those posting on the forums?
Old 03-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #94
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Seems weird that someone who relies on net forums for accurate technical info relating to the TY Yam, seems to feel that Bob Ginder who has been working on and modifying TY Yams for nearly 40 years, has far less first hand knowledge and experience relating to these bikes than those posting on the forums?
I don't think it's Bob, that they have the problem with...
Old 03-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #95
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
I don't think it's Bob, that they have the problem with...
The fact that TY175's seize up when converted to 200cc is something that Bob pointed out to me!.................Guess he must be wrong, and the clueless cut and pasters must be right then?
Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #96
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,860
Quote:
Guess he must be wrong, and the clueless cut and pasters must be right then?

Damn good thing you showed up here to save all of us from ourselves. After all, NONE of us knew ANYTHING before you got here.

You sir, are beginning to grate. Just sayin'.
brewtus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #97
TXNMGUY
dirt dobber

Oddometer: 99
Still waiting for them photos Mr. Tshock............
TXNMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #98
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,443
Supershaft of the trials forum.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #99
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
As an airhead owner, I get this.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #100
Garthe

Quote:
Guess he must be wrong, and the clueless cut and pasters must be right then?
YOU are the clueless one ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvadney View Post
As an airhead owner, I get this.
+1
Old 03-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #101
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
YOU are the clueless one ...

+1

Perhaps you can outline exactly how the guy trying to make a TY125 into A 200, might be able to stop it seizing up?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #102
Garthe

Quote:
Perhaps you can outline exactly how the guy trying to make a TY125 into A 200, might be able to stop it seizing up?
But, then I would be YOU...and that will never happen...

Old 03-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #103
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

If you are not able to post accurate technical information, that may well be helpful to others, then why post on technical help forums?
Old 03-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #104
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you are not able to post accurate technical information, that may well be helpful to others, then why post on technical help forums?

In my opinion the ignore functions does not work very well, as I can see the quotings from Mr. Twin-shockers posts. and as Garthe quoted him my curiosity won against my own conviction I mad a couple of days before because the content was about the TY rebuild. ... Holy cow, Mr. Twin-shocker has mentioned me, so I must have impressed him.

This weekend the engine was released of the frame for the first time after getting out of the factory in 1979:

It's obvious that the bike stood the last 5 years in a shed near the sea:

I handed the the little power comparement to our North German KTM racing service point on saturday for the engine rebuild, they also got the cylinder, piston, head, conrod, bearings, seals, ... for the rebuild of the engine. We got through all the parts I took with me and we came to the concluding that the guys in UK did a good work.

Hopefully there are now bigger issues inside the gearbox, the cluthplates will be changed as all bearings and seals and as the bike has just got around 5500 - 6000 km there should not be any big problems with the gearbox.

The fork for the bike is a used one from a 59N, (the one in the middle, the left one is the original one):

The fork is now too at the shop for polishing up the stanchions and wear measurements of the interna.

We will see. In the meantime I have got a second swing arm from flea-bay and think a Whitlock school-boy frame will match best for the bike. (The original frame, suspension and swing arm will be stored for later requirements that might come in mind). Then I found a YZ 175 cluth case, beside of one fastener this case fits to the cluth side of the
TY, when the engine is back this might be a good replacement for the original one as I don't want to have the oil-pump in use.

PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #105
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Sadly merely ignoring my posts related to your 200cc motor seizing up due to hot spots on the wafer thin liner, wont stop the inevitable occurring! If you use the bike very gently then it might be ok, but that kind of seems to suggest you might as well have left it as a 125cc?

After you have found out first hand all about problems with these converted motors, then you might feel like taking a bit more notice of people like Bob Ginder (with nearly 40 years of experience of the TY Yams!), rather than taking as 100% accurate anything that gets posted on a net chat forum!