Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #4726
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
1st draft M9

ID falls south to Tour of Idaho T2, following it
west to Oregon, continuing to Crater Lake (I know, east rim will still be snowed in),
Southeast through CA to Gerlach, then across the Great Basin, via Pony Express and east to Bunnyville salt flats, then
North of Great Salt Lake past the Golden Spike, then North to pick up the start of Tour of Idaho T2,
Back to Idaho falls.

2250miles.

May 11-28, 2012

.GPX files posted here.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #4727
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
west to Oregon, continuing to Crater Lake (I know, east rim will still be snowed in),
Southeast through CA to Gerlach, then across the Great Basin, via Pony Express and east to Bunnyville salt flats, then
North of Great Salt Lake past the Golden Spike, then North to pick up the start of Tour of Idaho T2,
Back to Idaho falls.

2250miles.

May 11-28, 2012
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #4728
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 818
Looks like an awesome route.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #4729
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
Looks like an awesome route.

+1, wish I could ride with you!!!

I do have many connections in Bend OR in case the bikes (or riders) act up. Great Microbreweries in Central OR too!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #4730
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,094

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #4731
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Quote:
Back to Idaho falls.

2250miles.

May 11-28, 2012

.GPX files posted here.

Will you be going throug Lakeview OR? If so, get a pick of yourselves (or just LDF) in front of the giant cowboy.

www.benddualsport.com

Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #4732
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,910
Quote:
2250miles.

May 11-28, 2012
[/IMG]
That just looks all kinds of good.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #4733
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,769
Oh My!!!!

This ones gonna be goooooood!!!
Ride on.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #4734
k7tbt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Dr. Rock, when you are in S.E. Oregon the Steens Mountain loop is a must do. Lots of gravel and dirt with plenty of side roads to explore.
k7tbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #4735
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7tbt View Post
Dr. Rock, when you are in S.E. Oregon the Steens Mountain loop is a must do. Lots of gravel and dirt with plenty of side roads to explore.
Two potential issues with that:
1. not enough gas (NO gas @ Frenchglen)
2. too much snow (currently ~60-80in.)

But I'll look into what it would take to do the loop from out of Narrows, just in case it's a really warm next few weeks. I'm a little concerned about our route out of that area -- I can't quite trace everything I'd like to see on Google Earth, especially leaving Malheur heading west on County 133/Double-O road and continuing past the gate that's listed in the Benchmark atlas.

thanks for the tips.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #4736
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Quote:

But I'll look into what it would take to do the loop from out of Narrows, just in case it's a really warm next few weeks. I'm a little concerned about our route out of that area -- I can't quite trace everything I'd like to see on Google Earth, especially leaving Malheur heading west on County 133/Double-O road and continuing past the gate that's listed in the Benchmark atlas.

thanks for the tips.
Yes, there has been a lot of snow in Eastern OR this year. No gas at Frenchglen? Let me check on that for you with my contacts on benddualsport.com. They do have really good burgers at the store.

www.benddualsport.com

Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #4737
k7tbt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Bummer, yes fuel might be an issue with a 180 mile range. Bribe some ADV riders to meet you in Frenchglen with fuel. All for nought though, May is way early for the loop to be open, I've seen it closed in July, should of checked your departure time before opening my mouth...
k7tbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #4738
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:

thanks for the tips.
DR. Rock: I've been comparing your GPS track to my Oregon Benchmark atlas (2006) version. You have some interesting routing. Your route from Folly Farm Flat off of hwy 78 to connect to Diamond may not be passable as well as from French Glen to near Alkali Lake there are some very faint trails. If you haven't already done so, you might want to pm Wachs for his opinion. Not too many guys know the central and southeastern corner of Oregon like him.

I'm not saying it's not doable, its just that I find when I ride the finest red lines on the Oregon benchmark atlas, they can be really tough routes. At other times they're just fine. FYI I ride a DR350. Wish I could jump over there and pre-ride some of the routes before you head out. If you've based your route on tracks others have ridden, ignore my skepticism.

Another suggestion: you're taking 6184 west from HWY 395 to 6104 then heading north to Christmas Valley the last 10 miles can be really rough with sharp rocks studding the trail. Some Bend riders I know refuse to ride that. Might I suggest continue heading west when you cross 6104 and connect with 6124 to Paisley where there is fuel. Then if it works spend the night camping at Summer Lake hot springs to soak the tired bones. You won't regret it. Cool and Funky place. From Paisley or SLHS there are awesome roads and trails through the Fremont National forest to Silver lake where you can pick up your current track or turn west before Silver lake to Diamond Lake Jct. You may need to check snow levels in the Fremont FS before you confirm this route.

Check with some of the Boise riders to see if Silver City is clear of snow before you leave.

To me it looks like you are trying to keep to lower elevations which at that time of year is really smart. Steens is a no go until at least mid July most years. I was there in September this year and there were still snow fields visible.

If I get a chance to do some pre-riding, I'll let you know how it is. Maybe I can round up some hooligans from Benddualsport.com to check your Central OR routes.

I'll be watching your SPOTS and will head south if it looks like I can connect to ride with you for a few miles of your Oregon portion.

Tim

MadChap screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 09:38 PM
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #4739
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

@ Jury duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
DR. Rock: I've been comparing your GPS track to my Oregon Benchmark atlas (2006) version. You have some interesting routing. Your route from Folly Farm Flat off of hwy 78 to connect to Diamond may not be passable as well as from French Glen to near Alkali Lake there are some very faint trails.
Thanks so much for your review and suggestions. I've already rerouted the Folly Farm / Diamond section after reviewing Google Earth imagery. I have posted the revised SE Oregon route .gpx file from Jordan Valley to Crater Lake in the Laying Down tracks M9 route thread -- I think the new route is much more likely to be doable for that section.

I'll have a look at your other suggestions asap -- but I've routed to the Narrows RV park for gas instead of Frenchglen already... I'm suffering jury duty and they don't smile kindly on laptops and atlases in the courtroom.

Once I have my best edits, I'll see if Wachs will screen the route. Also, some of the more questionable tracks I'm following have easy(ish) go-arounds available if they're unpassable for whatever reason. If we run into a gate, or a too deep water crossing, or snow, we'll be able to bust out the paper maps, and figure out a reasonable bypass or escape to pavement.

I try to be cognizant to not paint ourselves into a corner, especially with our range -- if we get blocked after 150 miles and have to backtrack the whole way, we're screwed, so that's always a consideration in my routing.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #4740
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,061
Narrows and Crane both have gas, we use them on Mex2Can. Jordan Valley for sure but I don't remember Rome even though I drive through it every year. Good Basque food in Jordan Valley.

Also I have riden the Pony Express trail where you plan to go. You can download my tracks from GPSXchange.com