ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #226
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Jerry and Scott - I sent you tracks of the big wash. 13 miles long according to my tracks. Not as tough as I feared. Google Earth should show the size of the thing. Fun!

So now we have a dirt connection to Rio Verde from Cave Creek Rd. All three of my tracks connect.

I'll try south of Globe over the weekend.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #227
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,091
Can you look both north and south of Globe? The best way in from the north appears to be Tonto Basin road to road 255 to old 88. Further north road 287 appears to bypass a bunch of Hwy 288.

On the south both Buddy Holly and Big Dog came in on Ice House Cyn road to the old part of town. It looks like Russell road takes you into the new part of town.

The old part of towm may be worth riding through any way, it is a lot like Jerome without a Wal-Mart.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Scout 2, Holcomb.gpx (715.0 KB, 50 views)

Countdown screwed with this post 02-02-2012 at 09:18 AM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #228
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Can you look both north and south of Globe? The best way in from the north appears to be Tonto Basin road to road 255 to old 88. Further north road 287 appears to bypass a bunch of Hwy 288.

On the south both Buddy Holly and Big Dog came in on Ice House Cyn road to the old part of town. It looks like Russell road takes you into the new part of town.

The old part of towm may be worth riding through any way, it is a lot like Jerome without a Wal-Mart.
OK Jerry I'l try. I have to work tomorrow, but over the weekend I can run down there and explore those routes before I try south towards Tucson on Buddy Holly's tracks. I think he might have missed a nice dirt section that I will try.

I might add, Dirtklod and AZTom took me out today to see what real dual sporting is all about. Feature a rocky creek canyon not suitable for quads getting down and in; and then up and out! Must've been six or seven crossings. I was amazed by how big a rocks that front end would roll.

I made it, though. No hurts. Prolly pretty sore soon.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #229
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Should we send out search party for Robert?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #230
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Sorry I may not make it back to Globe. I'm doing other things.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #231
nupit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
scout 2

I did part of the scout 2 gpx yesterday. It was a nice scenic ride...thanks. I abbreviated it by riding straight to the dirt turnoff for four peaks, rode around Roosevelt lake, then north to and took the scenic route through tortilla flats. Not sure if I'd want to take that scenic route through tortilla flats on the weekend. Most likely high traffic. I'm visiting the area, hence the lack of specifics.
nupit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #232
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Heading to southern AZ next week (26-30) to scout GWT. Anyone interested in weekday riding?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #233
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Just got back, had a great trip. Ran into several inmates in Sonoita and in Winkelman. I now have a good set of tracks with all gas located for AZ. After I left, I noticed a couple of trails just north of Gloge that need checking, is any one close?

Broke a Clutch Cable S/E of Tucson that should have cut my trip short. Went to some modern Honda dealer in Tuscon which as I suspected had nothing in stock and didn't offer to help. Then went to Musselman Honda downtown and they were great. They had 20-30 cables on a rack and we found one that got me going again. Mrs Musselman must be 80 years old and was a great lady. Told me the whole history of the store from Indian to British to step-through Hondas.

Can't get file to upload here but it is posted on http://www.gpsxchange.com/

Countdown screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 07:44 PM Reason: spelling
Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #234
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
Jerry,

Thanks for posting these tracks. We are planning to go thru much of the southern AZ area on a trip early next month. I planned the trip using Big Dog's GWT tracks which actually go west of the GWT north of Globe. Since I have never been there, we are going to do that.

It is great to see your tracks exactly overlay our plan south of Globe. We will be taking the eastern leg and then veering southeast near Canelo, going around south of the mountains and up into Tombstone.

Looks like your track goes right thru a waypoint called Locked Gate southwest of Globe. I guess you were trying to go west there.

(BTW I always keep an old clutch cable zip-tied next to the one I am using. It has saved my butt a couple of times.)

Bill
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #235
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Jerry, Looks like your track goes right thru a waypoint called Locked Gate southwest of Globe. I guess you were trying to go west there. (BTW I always keep an old clutch cable zip-tied next to the one I am using. It has saved my butt a couple of times.) Bill
I think Big Dog went East of GWT from north of Globe to Grand Canyon.

Look closer (zoom in) at gates. I think buddy Holly turned around when he came to gate going north. I rode south from globe, came to gate on north side of gov Sprg ranch, noticed jeep road around ranch on east side, took it and came out at gate on south side. On eastern route, I had to go through open gate that said "Keep Out" but it looked like people were going through. Eastern route is very rocky, western route is all easy Adv Bike except for the Gov Sprgs Ranch bypass.

I have broken lots of clutch cables over time but never smart enough to plan ahead. Last year I broke my TE 610 going into Beatty. Had to ride 100 miles back to truck with no clutch. This time only had about 50 miles back to motorhome. Not that much of a problem with e-start. Much harder on old XR600. I broke one while making roll chart for Mex2Can in Idaho. I traded bikes with my partner. I would ride ahead and stop at turn, he would ride by and shout the mileage, I would record it then ride ahead to next turn.

Countdown screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 10:56 AM
Old 04-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #236
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Another option in the Tucson area is to go over Mt. Lemmon.

Does anyone have any tracks of this option (Mike)?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #237
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

"I think Big Dog went East of GWT from north of Globe to Grand Canyon."

Jerry,

You are right. I meant East.

I was looking at your track some more. I was thinking of taking Russel Gulch south out of Globe and then cutting east over to the Pioneer track once we get into the NF. Looks like less riding thru town.

Any comments?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #238
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I was thinking of taking Russel Gulch south out of Globe and then cutting east over to the Pioneer track once we get into the NF. Looks like less riding thru town. Any comments?
If you are talking about from my EW then down Russell Gulch Tank road, there were a bunch of ATV trailers parked there and I didn't really look at all options. I saw a big road going right but an old road going straight was blocked. both the ways I went into Gloge were very good. The EW goes straight to gas station through back streets and Normal Way goes right though historic old down town with a bunch of neat old buildings. Big Dog turned too soon on Hwy 60 and missed the good stuff in town.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #239
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

We had a very large group (15-18 riders) that rode thru central Arizona area last week as part of a 6 day DS loop from Albuquerque. We followed Big Dog's Great Western Trail track from about the Mogollon Rim down to the Mexican border.

Even though his track is well east of the official GWT north of Globe, the ride down FR 202 and 203 along the edge of the San Carlos Apache rez was a spectacular epic ride.

We had flat tire problems on the Globe-to-border day and I didn't get to ride the section right out of Globe and anything below hiway 82. But a couple of our subgroups rode these and really liked the rides.

We found a slightly easier alternative to some of the harder stuff between I-10 and 82.

I posted our tracks on GPSXchange and DualSportMaps.com.

Maybe with a few rides we can establish some credibility for making this route the official GWT south of Globe.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #240
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Good Tracks. I will integrate then into my files and repost on GPSX. At first glance, looks like you took some highways where I had found some secondary road bypasses?

I am leaving for Memorial Day in Prescott then up to Utah to scout on north through Bryce.