User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
malloy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Question Crash Test of TT Hand Guards

I'm sure no one here has ever crash tested the all plastic TT hand guards : http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...M-Aluminum-bar But maybe someone has heard some stories from a "friend" who has. If so, what are the reports on how they hold up when dropped? Can they take it?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
I had those but never crashed them.. However, I can tell you they will most likely flex upwards and not protect the levers. I used them as wind guards. Go with Barkbusters, they have an aluminum backbone if you want real protection in a get-off.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
I've used my TT hand guards to plow several acres by now. After three years, they still carve a nice, straight furrow.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
I bought the BMW guards and I have crash tested them several times. They hold up well and protect everything.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloy View Post
I'm sure no one here has ever crash tested the all plastic TT hand guards : http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...M-Aluminum-bar But maybe someone has heard some stories from a "friend" who has. If so, what are the reports on how they hold up when dropped? Can they take it?
I got them after watching a buddies bike hit the ground a few times and they worked well.

I have also "tested" them on both sides (fairly severely including one high-side on pavement down a hill) and I can tell you they work very well!

The big trick with them is their resilience. They don't bend like my old Acerbis I had on another bike but they will rather flex and absorb the impact. The flex is not nearly enough to allow contact of the levers. My levers don't have a mark on them.
They can twist a bit but it's never been an issue for me. I just move them back and re-tighten.

I have seen different types of bar clamps on different generations though...mine are alu.

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
malloy OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies, folks. Anyone else?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
longwayaround
Female Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I am using the TT guards for my F650 twin, they work for me and I love em! Super light, easy to install/adjust and will take a beating. I have “utilized” both sides as well, and they hold up extremely well, with no damage to levers. When I had my shiny sportbike I freaked out when I scuffed my bar ends, so silly really. Now on the GS, I love the way they look when they are worn in, they sure have character.
Hope this helps,

Cheers,
"go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul" -Walt Whitman
longwayaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 936
I have the TT handguards as well. At the time they were the cheapest. Did I say TT was cheap?? Anyway, after extensive involuntary testing I would say they work very well. They don't even twist in the handlebars like some handguards do when they take a hit.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
I laid my bike over on the highway a couple of years ago... the bike slid on the crash bars and the TT hand-guards ... i slid in riding position on the bike most of the way... who ever said that the hand-gaurds would flex and not protect is full of hooey... me on the other hand still busted my ribs... but i rode the bike home before going to the hospital, thanks to the crash bars and the hand-gaurds... (edit-should also give a big thank you to the Shoei helmet i was wearing and destroyed)

Peter in OKC, OK

Dadayama screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 06:00 PM
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
malloy OP
Studly Adventurer

Talking

These TT hand guards sound pretty good. Thanks to all you crash testers. I hope you are all well.