User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #2446
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,758
Something's amiss. Bike should easily start at any setting.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #2447
JV
What?

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowsja View Post
Poolside,

I received my IICE Air today (thank you) - plugged it into my '01 1150 GS using factory setting -20. Bike cranked and coughed but wouldn't start.

I ran thru the offsets, the only one that worked was at "0 offset". Once she was warmed up, I could start her on the -20, but the idle was extremely choppy, she stalled in short order.

Buddy down the street has a 1200, we tried the Air on his as well - same experience - no start or very choppy idle.

Is this user error? Hardware problem? Bike tune? (She runs fine without the plug or at 0 offset...).

Suggestions welcome.

thanks
Jason
If you take the IICE out and leave the OEM plug unplugged, does the bike run the same as plugging in the IICE with it set on -20 or will it run at all with it unplugged? Just trying to get an idea of what happens if one of the connections isn't making.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #2448
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,606
Hey there, Jason. Yes I do have a suggestion, but I don't know how well it'll go over. Here goes nothing. Those issues don't seem possible, therefore they didn't happen.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #2449
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Poolside,

I received my IICE Air today (thank you) - plugged it into my '01 1150 GS using factory setting -20. Bike cranked and coughed but wouldn't start.

I ran thru the offsets, the only one that worked was at "0 offset". Once she was warmed up, I could start her on the -20, but the idle was extremely choppy, she stalled in short order.

Buddy down the street has a 1200, we tried the Air on his as well - same experience - no start or very choppy idle.

Is this user error? Hardware problem? Bike tune? (She runs fine without the plug or at 0 offset...).

Suggestions welcome.

thanks
Jason
Somethings that could cause that result:

1) You have a mod on the bike like a powercommander or Techlusion
2) Someone previously adjusted your TPS
3) You have a sluggish or non-functional O2 sensor; or it is disconnected
4) Poolside's thermistor vendor shipped some bad parts
Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #2450
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post

Somethings that could cause that result:
4) Poolside's thermistor vendor shipped some bad parts.
That #4 would be a tough one, Roger. There are 3 thermistors in each IICE Air so that's gotta be some odds. In addition these are 100% tested, at three different stages during assembly. The last one right before bagging and shipping.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #2451
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 14,835
Quote:
Poolside,

Suggestions welcome.

thanks
Jason
Did you push the bail clip in and then completely seat both connectors such that the bail clip returned to its 'home' connection? In other words were both connectors plugged ALL the way in?

And did you try moving the jumper to the -0 setting to see what happens? In this position the IICE Air is 'out of the circuit' and you are running on the stock sensor.

And lastly did you plug the IICE Air into the AIR TEMP SENSOR, you know the one on the air box, right beside the diagnostic connector?

JJ
Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 AM   #2452
fellowsja
Momma's Boy

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
And lastly did you plug the IICE Air into the AIR TEMP SENSOR, you know the one on the air box, right beside the diagnostic connector?

JJ
Oops. Wrong hole.

Got it now. Sorry for the confusion, thanks for the help.

p.s. it is great, thanks.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #2453
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
So where did you have it plugged in?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #2454
BenFongTorres
Banned

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Oops. Wrong hole. .

That's what she said...

Sorry, couldn't resist that opportunity just being left open!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #2455
fellowsja
Momma's Boy

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
So where did you have it plugged in?
Injector harness. Idiot. I know.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #2456
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oh I don't know about that. Maybe not you so much as me that's the idiot. I'm the one who lets everyone fend for themselves with only sparse installation instructions.

The symptoms you described all make sense now. Last night I was thinking that you plugged it into the oil temp sensor. That would have had similar symptoms, oddly enough. But that's under the fuel tank and you mentioned it only took you a minute to install.

This is still another reason for a picture of where the Air installs on an 1100/1150. Anyone want to volunteer with a picture or two? I can't use my bike, it has too much additional wiring in that area.

And to set your mind at ease Jason, plugging it into the fuel injector would not cause any damage to your bike or your friend's 1200.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #2457
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
That #4 would be a tough one, Roger. There are 3 thermistors in each IICE Air so that's gotta be some odds. In addition these are 100% tested, at three different stages during assembly. The last one right before bagging and shipping.

I highly doubted that was the problem. I just didn't see any way that installing your product could produce the symptoms reported.

I did wonder about plugging it in to an FI connector but thought it would be insulting to suggest. Your product looks pretty bulletproof to me.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #2458
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,853
Quote:
Oops. Wrong hole.

Got it now. Sorry for the confusion, thanks for the help.

p.s. it is great, thanks.
Deleted. Self moderated. The Queen could be lurking this thread to see if JJ and Poolside's widget is getting the Royal seal of approval. Can't have her seeing wrong hole jokes. ;)

slowoldguy screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 02:52 PM
Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #2459
BenFongTorres
Banned

Oddometer: 831
Is there already a pic or two of the install on a 1200? Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the 170 pages or so...

If someone wouldn't mind linking to or re-posting it here. THANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Oh I don't know about that. Maybe not you so much as me that's the idiot. I'm the one who lets everyone fend for themselves with only sparse installation instructions.

The symptoms you described all make sense now. Last night I was thinking that you plugged it into the oil temp sensor. That would have had similar symptoms, oddly enough. But that's under the fuel tank and you mentioned it only took you a minute to install.

This is still another reason for a picture of where the Air installs on an 1100/1150. Anyone want to volunteer with a picture or two? I can't use my bike, it has too much additional wiring in that area.

And to set your mind at ease Jason, plugging it into the fuel injector would not cause any damage to your bike or your friend's 1200.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #2460
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial9xs View Post

Is there already a pic or two of the install on a 1200? Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the 170 pages or so...

If someone wouldn't mind linking to or re-posting it here. THANKS!
Check the first post of the thread for links to informative posts.

Closed Thread