Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #616
mike in idaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109

Here is a pic of my cl160 brake pedal, the cb version will fit but has slightly different shape in the center to fit around the low pipes. The cb footpeg bar also fits, but is a one-piece non-folding affair and does not have a tab on it for a side stand. Does it still have the skid plate mounted, along with a block-off plug in the starter hole? Aside from the cut-off fenders and the footpeg bodge your bike looks to be pretty complete and unmolested, nice find.
mike in idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #617
mike in idaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer66 View Post
Hello everybody, I just picked up a white CB160, the 3rd 160 in the stable. I've been following this thread for a while, but there's a few questions I have. First off, does anybody know how shiny the white paint is supposed to be? and is the entire bike the same shiny? I know the gray fenders aren't really glossy, but these fenders are white. I'm planning on taking this one all apart and have a shop repaint it white.

Secondly, I've never taken a fork apart or rebuilt one, does anybody have do's and don'ts? and maybe pictures of the process? I know it needs fork seals, and a new chrome piece, since there's a nice dent in one of mine.

As far as parts go, I'd like to find a decent right muffler, a new seat cover with the honda logo on it, the 2 big springs for the seat, and the rear mudflap with mounts. Possibly a new set of handlebars too, or does anybody know roughly how much it'd cost to get them rechromed?
The chrome piece on the fork leg unscrews from the bottom leg, you need a pin spanner type wrench to grab it by the little holes on the sides. I've got a pair of those chrome seal holders lying around here, PM me your address and I'll send them to you for postage. Last time I looked, fork seals are still available from Honda. A repop rear mudflap/mount set is available through Ohio Cycle.com.
mike in idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #618
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
thought this should be cleared up.

The bike was built for and still owned by Guy Webster to be added to his museum full of Italian race bikes.

The concept for the project, parts acquisition and assembly was done by Ron Mousouris. The tank, seat etc etc fabricating and paint work was done by myself.
This is a fine looking motorcycle! Reminds me of the bikes exhibited here: http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/sfo_m...orth_wall.html

Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #619
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
Saw it at Guy Websters a few weeks ago (Norton club ride). It looks better in person!

Another very cool one from Joker Racing
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #620
Dave Walters
n00b

Oddometer: 2
My 1966 CB160 Project.

This baby was running back in the 1980's but sat for almost 30 years. All parts are there.

I have everything torn down to the frame and have the engine benched. It was seized and I tired the pb blaster and 1st gear trick to break it free but she wouldn't budge.

Everything will be sent off to powder coat soon. but...

I have a few questions on exhaust though. I am looking for the stock look or if i can't do that I would like a good retro looking muffler system.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Dave Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #621
gravity2200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
a few pics

I pulled the plugs and sprayed a little penetrating oil in the cilinders. The right piston is at TDC and that's when the kickstarter stopped moving. I think I got two kicks before it stopped moving. There's some crud ontop of the piston I can see. The tank is really rust free except around the filler hole and a small spot in the bottom opposite the petcock.

I worked on my wifes bike for awhile yesterday than took it out for a ride.
I'm planning on pulling the CB carbs back off this week for a soak/cleaning.
gravity2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #622
jtn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler Weirdo View Post
Hey guys, just a quick note to keep the info on the CB's going. I had run into a problem with charging on my bike, dead battery all the time. I replaced the rectifier with a solid state unit, changed to LED bulbs, still problems. I finally solved it (I hope).

My battery was at fault the whole time. I used a chinese battery... It only had 12.5 vlolts at rest, should have been 13.5. The stator with the new rectifier puts out 13.6 or higher with all the lights on. Now, having gone through the process I also learned that having kicked in the second set of coils on the stator and aking out the incandescent bulb I was also overcharging the battery! The second coil is meant to be used with the lights on all the time only. So, if you rewired your bike becuase you didnthavea key (like I did) make sure you have a good battery, all the lights installed and running when you have the second coil kicked in. I also found a mystery current draw of a few amps with my ignition off so I installed a master battery shut off which I think helped as well. Hope somebody finds this useful.
I am having a similar problem, noticed the LED tail lights were going bright/dim with the rpms, and finally the light stopped working, I'm guessing I ran too much current through it and fried something. Anyone ever done a voltage regulator mod and have Radio Shack part #'s? I did the rectifier and see CB175 voltage regulators on ebay for $30, but intuition tells me there's a $3 Radio Shack part that hasn't been sitting around since 1971 . . . .

A search on Radio Shack turned up all these little things that I don't know how to use . . .

http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...Do-It-Yourself

'70 CL175, CL350
'82 GL500
'69 - '74 Trail 90's
jtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #623
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Nice find, it is hard to find a 160 with all the parts to it. The rear mud flap if its original is worth LOTS and the original seat, don't recover it restore it, there is a guy in Florida who does it and they come out like new. If by our going to cafe it then store those items or sell them, air cleaners are impossible to find even if the paper is falling off don't trash them.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #624
gravity2200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
original parts

Doug
as far as I know or can tell the mud flap, seat and air filters are original. It had only one owner, bought it new then left it in his parents basement since 74. He went to college came home rarely used it,got married, apartment and just left it there. A neighbors son got ahold of it but never started it. He pulled the side covers, air filters and carbs off to try to start it but had no real idea of how to do it. the other stuff he didn't put back on is in a box.
I don't think I'm going to 'cafe' it, although I love the look,I think I'll leave it as is. Right now I'm only concerned with the motor and making sure It's mechanically sound, then I'll look into cleaning up the rest of it.
gravity2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #625
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

It will be a very nice bike when your done because of all the original parts, check the tool kit and see if the original tool roll is still there, I paid a fortune for mine! Have fun.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #626
boobert94
n00b

Oddometer: 1
selling my cb160

Hi my names robby im selling my 1965 cb160 for $250 o.b.o plus cost of shipping i live in california. I dont have the pinkslip but it hasnt been registered since the 80's. It is not running and has a few things wrong on it but if you are interested please message me.
boobert94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #627
Carnivorous Chicken
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
float bowl

Hi All,
Back in the market looking for a float bowl. If anyone has upgraded to racing carbs or has parts sitting around, please message me. Thanks!
Carnivorous Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #628
kalchcliff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I may have one, pm sent.
kalchcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #629
Carnivorous Chicken
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
peg mounts, too?

I should add... I am also looking for red rear peg mounts. Don't want mint, do want straight. I've got original paint on mine and would like to find something that'll look good and come close to matching -- nothing rusty or torn up. Anyone switching to fancy rearsets on a red bike, lemme know and thanks!
Carnivorous Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #630
cafepenguin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
CB160 Seized engine

Hello there...

So I found this thread because I have started working on my first project build. A 1966 CB160 junk yard find... It is in pretty rough shape and I'm tearing the whole thing down to get it cleaned and running well...

Motor is off the bike, but the problem I'm facing is the pistons seem to be seized up. I have the cylinder head cover off and now I can't seem to spin the cam chain to get to the master link on it.

I have sprayed PB blaster in to the spark holes and I'm letting it sit, but any thoughts on what I should try? Do I have to put the motor back on the bike and try rocking it. I would also have to buy a new chain, which I'm going to have to do anyway, because the old one was broken.

Thanks and I look forward to adding my bike on here soon.

James
cafepenguin is offline   Reply With Quote