User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #76
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Avon has landed

The Avon tyres and IRC tubs have arrived. I've got my rattle cans of aluminum color paint all lined up. Unfortunately the gold wheels are two different shades of gold seeing as the guy repainted the front wheel at some point. Why he didn't paint the rear wheel to match the front is beyond me, go figure.

At this stage my goal is to make the bike a runner. Once I get her back on the road and sorted out I'll consider a cosmentic tear down to powder coat and paint to make her pretty.

TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #77
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Hibernation

Here she is in hibernation... soon to be awaken!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #78
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Laugh April Fools

April Fools, not really... F I N A L Y got PROJECT-S mounted to the bike stand so I can start working on her.
Took the exhaust off, having trouble getting the right pipe seperated from the header pipe, hmmmm, set that aside for now.
What I really want to do is get the wheels off, tires off, and start painting the wheels, silver. This photo really shows the two different shades of gold.
Once the wheels are painted I'll set them aside to cure and start in on the brakes an suspension.
This should take me through Phase-I of the project.
Stay tuned.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #79
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Eh? Popped Her Top

Pulled off the air cleaner housing and the starter motor cover tonight. No real surprises, just a ratty old K&N filter that I'll replace with a OEM (not a K&N fan) and some surface rust on the starter. Found a nut and washer just laying under the air cleaner, wonder where they came from!? She's got a nice tan (grease) line across the top of the case I'll need to clean up.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #80
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Wheels Up!

She's flying! Wheels are off.

Made me a rig to hold the wheel while I paint them silver.

More good news! wheel splines look good as new.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #81
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Back in a holding pattern again

Looks like PROJECT-S will not make much headway until mid-May, after the Los Angeles Ride for Kids circus leaves town (I volunteer on the local organizing committee, i.e. "Task Force") . Got some more "genuine BMW" parts from Irv Seaver and have sorted out the bits and pieces into bins. Tires are off and the wheels and ready to be cleaned and painted. A little surface rust on the frame where the battery box sites, but should clean up nicely and some Testers gloss black will do for now. Forks are still on, but will be pulled off and stripped down as soon as I get back to the project.

TINK
Old 04-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #82
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
She's flying! Wheels are off.

More good news! wheel splines look good as new.
Just a minor point. Those splines do look fine. they are excellent splines but they are not that close to new. When new the splines have the same amount of space in the top as in the valley. Those do show some wear. Another thing you can look at is looking into the spline with a flashlight. You will be able to see the original shape in the back.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #83
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Just a minor point. Those splines do look fine. they are excellent splines but they are not that close to new. When new the splines have the same amount of space in the top as in the valley. Those do show some wear. Another thing you can look at is looking into the spline with a flashlight. You will be able to see the original shape in the back.
Good point, disston. I'm no expert on BMWs, but I did own a 650/6 toaster back in the day and it had paper thin splines when I sold her. She suffered a lot of abuse from POs that I could not afford to rectify at the time (going to school, broke 24/7).

TINK
Old 04-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #84
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Muffler set "B"

I bought a pair of mufflers off of ebay to get a better right muffler than the one I had.
So now I have an "A" and a "B" grade set of mufflers.
I'm thinking of selling the "B" set, but for now I'll sit on them until I get PROJECT-S running, then decide if I want to part with the "B" muffler set.
I put together a slide of the the "B" set here > http://www.photosbytink.com/bmwmuffler/

TINK

Old 04-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #85
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 323
Great thread Tink. Thanks. Will you be considering a stainless exhaust system at some point?
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #86
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Stainless Steel, ohhhh, ahhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
Great thread Tink. Thanks. Will you be considering a stainless exhaust system at some point?
I've looked into a stainless exhaust, by I really just need to get past Phase-I and get her running in good riding condition. Phase-II would be where I break her down for paint and powder coating. Phase-III will be where I consider upgrades like a stainless steel exhaust. At this pace Phase-III won't arrive until Stardate 41153.7,

TINK

TINK screwed with this post 05-18-2012 at 03:57 PM
Old 05-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #87
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Battery Acid Repair

Cleaning off the paint damage from battery acid spillage.
Little more extensive than I first thought.
Metal is all good, just need to tough up with some Testers enamel for now.
Sent the battery box out for proper powder coating.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #88
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Motor all cleaned up

Got the starter cover cleaned up and reinstalled.
Air cleaner covers are clean now too with fresh OEM air filter installed.
That should do it for the motor. I'm sure the motor is in good running condition and should not require any service.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #89
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Lost & Found

Figured out where the spare nut and washer came from... the choke lever, of course. Do'h!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
...Found a nut and washer just laying under the air cleaner, wonder where they came from!? ...

Old 05-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #90
Chico
Thief and Saboteur

Oddometer: 715
Cool blog with lots of nice pictures.

Please! please! please! leave it brown with the pinstripes!.
I LOVE that color. And its about the only color that makes gold wheels look good.

Yeah, yeah, its your bike, do what you want with it. But for some reason, this one looks partifulcarly sharp in brown!
Chico is offline   Reply With Quote