ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #61
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 139
been enjoing this thread, as soon as i saw the talk of a badito, i thought of bultacoparts.com. Check him out, the only time i went to his place he had a tss on the bench!
supervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #62
spartanman
regret minimizer
 
spartanman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Land of High Hopes & Low Taxes
Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by supervision View Post
been enjoing this thread, as soon as i saw the talk of a badito, i thought of bultacoparts.com. Check him out, the only time i went to his place he had a tss on the bench!
+1 on bultacoparts.com. I get all my pursang motor parts from there. good guy.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #63
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 139
cool, my friend rides their bandito sometimes!
supervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:40 AM   #64
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
stainlesscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: morgantown, wv
Oddometer: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
+1 on bultacoparts.com. I get all my pursang motor parts from there. good guy.
+1 - lynn is the best. best parts dealer for buls. quick shipping and answers question thoroughly..
__________________
current bikes
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #65
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
blaine.hale's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 2,842
I'm checking out and probably pulling the trigger on the 2 bandidos on Sunday.
Stay tuned.

*One thing I've noticed about this engine is that it has primary gears instead of a chain...I kind of like that.
__________________
1974 BMW R90 /6
1968 Bultaco Matador MK3
1973 BMW R75 /5 Toaster LWB
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650

blaine.hale screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 09:48 AM
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #66
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 139
Gear drive, now that would be a big step in the right direction. I hate to think about the primary chain on my bikes, OSSA, and HONDA CB77 SUPERHAWKS. So maybe they spin the motor backwards, on the Buls?
supervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #67
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer
 
PSchrauber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
Oddometer: 789
I read about the primary geardrive by gear wheels too.
A surplus in transmission, but harder depending load changes and you cannot fit different flywheel weights so easy,
(this is maybe not so important for a road racer?)


I don't think the behavior of the Bultaocs in general beeing easy to start backwards will change therefor?
(The engine doesn't sound healthy when running backward but works, staating the engine backwards by rolling from
a mound is indeed very easy, have tried this in my youth times with good results. (Certainly a typical teenage stupidity back then when everything was cool that worked when it was not suppose to do. )
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #68
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
blaine.hale's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 2,842
I think either way I roll the dice, these Bandidos are an incredible investment.
Hopefully they aren't in too bad of shape. I'll let ya'll know on Sunday!

After researching further, I have some more info for the thread.
In 1968 Bultaco released the "strongest" and most desired of the Bandidos. This bike was bored up to a 360cc and increased HP. It came in a motocross and a scrambles model. The scrambles model simply was a longer wheelbase and 31 degree angle head. The last production year was 1973 where in, over the years, they toned the engine down with smaller displacement and a different stroke which brought it down in the up 30s for HP. The 71 models I'm looking at shouldn't have suffered much of that power loss.
What makes them unique is the center port, the gear driven primary, right side kick, and double down tube frame.

All in all, it's a perfecto candidate for a street race bike. Hopefully I can bring myself to converting one of them!
__________________
1974 BMW R90 /6
1968 Bultaco Matador MK3
1973 BMW R75 /5 Toaster LWB
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #69
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 139
The reason I said backwards was because a chain primary, the engine and clutch turn the same way. If you drive engine to clutch with a gear the clutch will turn the opposite direction of crank. Something has to make the change.
supervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #70
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer
 
PSchrauber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
Oddometer: 789
At the engine of the bandito the secondary gear shaft of the motor is not at the clutch axis, it's behind. Seen here:

PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #71
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 139
Like COOL! Im diggin Banditos! Never gave that bike a second thought, now I see how special, unique of a BULL they are. Center exhaust and double down tube frame, plus no primary chain. I bet they are hard to find, thanks for puttin up the picture!!
supervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #72
LasseNC
XSessive!
 
LasseNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Denmark, Danimarka, Danmark, Dänemark
Oddometer: 1,045
You have had two days to pick them up and post pics, why has nothing happened sir!?

You sex me up with stories of awesome two-strokes and purty fairings, and then NOTHING!? NOTHING I TELL YOU!
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #73
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
blaine.hale's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 2,842
Don't worry baby birds, I shall feed you. I went yesterday to check out the Bandidos. The guy was real great and had some awesome stories. He used to short track race the bikes. He said that often times the engine would out race the frame (exactly the engine I want!) I verified the VIN on the complete bike and it was, in fact, a 69-71 Bultaco El Bandido Mk2. All of it was there with the exception of the 32mm Amal which the spare engine had one. He even had the original metal fenders in perfect condition and the original tank. Several pairs of Akron wheels all laced up as well. All in all, it was complete for 1 bike and in good dusty condition. The other bike was parts. All I saw was a dirty frame, swing arm and seized motor. He said he had boxes of parts and other stuff as well.
I'm probably going to buy it all off him as the bandidos go for around 3-4k unrestored and can sometimes fetch around 9k restored. This would completely fund my TSS endeavor. Anyways, on with some pictures I grabbed with my phone.







__________________
1974 BMW R90 /6
1968 Bultaco Matador MK3
1973 BMW R75 /5 Toaster LWB
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #74
spartanman
regret minimizer
 
spartanman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Land of High Hopes & Low Taxes
Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
Don't worry baby birds, I shall feed you. I went yesterday to check out the Bandidos. The guy was real great and had some awesome stories. He used to short track race the bikes. He said that often times the engine would out race the frame (exactly the engine I want!) I verified the VIN on the complete bike and it was, in fact, a 69-71 Bultaco El Bandido Mk2. All of it was there with the exception of the 32mm Amal which the spare engine had one. He even had the original metal fenders in perfect condition and the original tank. Several pairs of Akron wheels all laced up as well. All in all, it was complete for 1 bike and in good dusty condition. The other bike was parts. All I saw was a dirty frame, swing arm and seized motor. He said he had boxes of parts and other stuff as well.
I'm probably going to buy it all off him as the bandidos go for around 3-4k unrestored and can sometimes fetch around 9k restored. This would completely fund my TSS endeavor. Anyways, on with some pictures I grabbed with my phone.






Looks like fine grist for an awesome project. 32 mm is probably a little light in the loafers for that motor after it's modded. For non-AHRMA flattrack races, I ran a 34 mm Mik on my '67 250 Pursang which worked perfectly. AHRMA Classic 250 limited carb size to 32 mm. Have fun!
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #75
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
blaine.hale's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
Looks like fine grist for an awesome project. 32 mm is probably a little light in the loafers for that motor after it's modded. For non-AHRMA flattrack races, I ran a 34 mm Mik on my '67 250 Pursang which worked perfectly. AHRMA Classic 250 limited carb size to 32 mm. Have fun!
This guy had a 34mm mikuni on it (you can see in the pics.)
__________________
1974 BMW R90 /6
1968 Bultaco Matador MK3
1973 BMW R75 /5 Toaster LWB
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014