Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #406
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,690
Thanks Pablo, I know the roads well. On the circumnavigation I could send the braver ones over LaSalle pass and meet on the west side then hit CR23 for dirt up to the T reservoir thus avoiding the pot hole road. Then cut right on another dirt road CR39 over to Lost Park road then to 285. That would cut out some of the tarmac at least. Finishing that I think take Wellington Lake road and then cut over to Deckers on Goose Creek and maybe hit Trail Creek back to home base to spice things up a bit getting all those little creek crossings. This all depends on how long my recovery after back surgery will be - that is the unknown part but I hope to be back in the saddle by then cuz this is going to be fun. Thanks for doing all you have done!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #407
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Thanks Pablo, I know the roads well. On the circumnavigation I could send the braver ones over LaSalle pass and meet on the west side then hit CR23 for dirt up to the T reservoir thus avoiding the pot hole road. Then cut right on another dirt road CR39 over to Lost Park road then to 285. That would cut out some of the tarmac at least. Finishing that I think take Wellington Lake road and then cut over to Deckers on Goose Creek and maybe hit Trail Creek back to home base to spice things up a bit getting all those little creek crossings. This all depends on how long my recovery after back surgery will be - that is the unknown part but I hope to be back in the saddle by then cuz this is going to be fun. Thanks for doing all you have done!
Great route, keep them coming. That's pretty much the exact route I was thinking of.

LaSalle Pass has a reputation for being about the most technical trail you would want to take a GS1200 on, and because it's so close to camp, I think a lot of people will be trying it. It should be noted that for a GS1200, this would be a VERY technical trail and you might prefer to travel it from West to East to make it a little easier. For a 650cc bike, it should be fine in either direction.

Regarding "The Pothole Road" (CR77): the southern half of this road is so terrible that it really shouldn't be considered a paved road. The scenery is so beautiful that it's hard to keep your eyes on the road which makes it that much more dangerous. The northern half (from Tarryall Res. north) has been repaved and if you're into asphalt at all, this is a "must ride" road. I would suggest riding the northern part instead of cutting through Lost Park.

Also on the way back you could have a more technical option for smaller bikes of FS360 (Cedar Mtn Rd) instead of Trail creek.

I can make GPS tracks for your route if you would like.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #408
eddyturn
Wannabe

Good options too but with a larger group and the way locals drive I am not really sure if it would be safe to use Cedar. If I was in the lead, I would take the first hit for the team. I like more dirt because it's easier on my back with the standing up thing. You can make tracks for both options and then riders can download them before the rides. Game day would decide which way to go. My tracks are OK but I tend to use a lot less points than most which may not be good on a ride like this. Come to think of it you could do an all tarmac ride plan as well doing a bigger loop that would include CR77 and the holes. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #409
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,765
I'm going to try to make this one.
BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #410
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,652
I'm also seriously think'n of dropp'n in on all the foolery...
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #411
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Wolf and Wildlife Center

If anyone wants to see wolves, there is a nearby wolf rescue. I really enjoyed their tour. They primarily take care of wolves that people thought they could keep as pets.

http://wolfeducation.org/

They even offer some special tours where you can go in the cages.

If you happen upon any fresh roadkill they'll take it to feed the wolves (seriously).

Pablo83 screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 12:05 PM
Old 03-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #412
Sphaltndirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanx Pablo83 for all your work on this and the offer. If I don't re-jet before coming out there I may take you up on the garage space.
Sphaltndirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #413
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
Great route, keep them coming. That's pretty much the exact route I was thinking of.

LaSalle Pass has a reputation for being about the most technical trail you would want to take a GS1200 on, and because it's so close to camp, I think a lot of people will be trying it. It should be noted that for a GS1200, this would be a VERY technical trail and you might prefer to travel it from West to East to make it a little easier. For a 650cc bike, it should be fine in either direction.
How does LaSalle compare to Tin Cup pass? More difficult? I think Tin Cup is about as difficult as you'd want to take a GS over, at least from the Taylor Reservoir side, based on leading some folks that direction last summer.

We only needed to borrow one Jeep to winch one up out from the creek....

oops.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #414
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,765
Ok, I'm definitely in.

I may have missed it, but what kind of street riding is there out there? Do many people do pavement rides or is it primarily dirt?

I am trying to decide what bike to bring.
BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #415
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
How does LaSalle compare to Tin Cup pass? More difficult? I think Tin Cup is about as difficult as you'd want to take a GS over, at least from the Taylor Reservoir side, based on leading some folks that direction last summer.

oops.
Note to self: don't go riding with Doug ...

Old 03-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #416
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat View Post
Note to self: don't go riding with Doug ...

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 03-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #417
eddyturn
Wannabe

There is some good tarmac riding to be had. Pikes Peak road is almost all paved now... I think. Not sure if they got the last bit done or not. Lots of other stuff out there.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #418
KawaYamaSaki Ho
Reality burns!

Oddometer: 257
Quote:

oops.
LaSalle is a walk in the park and about a tenth of Tin Cup.
Not any baby heads, some ruts, big swales and decomposed granite. About ten minutes on the WR and fifteen on the KLR. I would say not really a comparrison. YMMV. Happy Trails.
KawaYamaSaki Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #419
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
does LaSalle compare to Tin Cup pass? More difficult?
No and No. I would not encourage anyone to take a GS over Tincup unless I knew they were an incredible rider, or I hated them. LaSalle has more sand and less rocks. If Tincup is a 10, LaSalle would probably be a 6.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #420
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
There is some good tarmac riding to be had. Pikes Peak road is almost all paved now... I think. Not sure if they got the last bit done or not. Lots of other stuff out there.
Pikes Peak is completely paved as far as I know. Also CR1 south from Florissant is a wonderful drive; that can be linked over to Cripple Creek and back on 67. Hwy 67 north from Woodland Park has more bikes than cars on the weekend. The Lost Creek loop can be done entirely on asphalt and would be excellent. So anyway, there will be more gorgeous paved roads than you can ride during the event.

I'll have GPS tracks and maps with at least three official paved routes.