Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #61801
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
A bold statement from a guy named DockingPilot....

Sorry, man - had to do it.
Lol. Your excused and well played. I honestly didnt mean to insult anyone. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 07:16 PM
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #61802
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Ughhh

I went out to my dr today to find a load of fork oil dripping on my wheel, tire and floor from the right fork... Guess its time to do the seals. My question is: are the seals simple to replace? I want to do the seals springs and oil, not going to do any valves. Do I have to loosen that large nut on the bottom, or is that not needed for pulling the fork apart? From what I understand, All that I have to do is open the top cap, drain the oil, pull the spring, pull the fork apart, pull old seals, install new seals, put fork back together, new springs, new oil, top cap, and ride.

Please help me! I want to get this done right away as its finally starting to warm up!!! Thanks in advance everybody!
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #61803
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
I started to watch that video, but isn't that fork a little more complex than the ones on our dr?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #61804
fbritt5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Front fork leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
I went out to my dr today to find a load of fork oil dripping on my wheel, tire and floor from the right fork... Guess its time to do the seals. My question is: are the seals simple to replace? I want to do the seals springs and oil, not going to do any valves. Do I have to loosen that large nut on the bottom, or is that not needed for pulling the fork apart? From what I understand, All that I have to do is open the top cap, drain the oil, pull the spring, pull the fork apart, pull old seals, install new seals, put fork back together, new springs, new oil, top cap, and ride.

Please help me! I want to get this done right away as its finally starting to warm up!!! Thanks in advance everybody!

Have you tried cleaning out the seal? I've used a pc of old film negative to hook out debris a couple of times. I am at about the point where I need to change the seals but so far, the film thing is working pretty good. Good luck.
fbritt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #61805
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 429
Update on my self inflicted electrical issue.

My # 30 fuse on the right hand under side cover is blown and keeps blowing after i think i found an issue i replace with another 30 and try the ignition again. Pop its gone.

I will drop the rise to 2" now. But still cant find the issue.

There is two unconnected plugs under the seat going forward towards the front of the bike right after the the battery chamber pretty much under the filtered air hose that sits at the battery level. I have to move it aside to get to these two connectors. I don't see any possibility how these would of been unplugged by my rise set up.. There is a white connector and a black connector and a green that is looped with connectors on top of it. The green is connected to green but has connectors on the top of it also. but the white nor the black connectors will plug into it. So i don't think these are the issue.

I don't see any open wires or pinches. No kinks against the head stop. Cant sleep going over and over in my mind what the hell did i do...ugggghhh.
I have checked everything you all have told me but will go over it again tomorrow. Thanks for all your help!!
Boulder
Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #61806
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,389
Quote:
In theory if you can pick the seals out you don't need to disasemble conventional forks. But, that's easier said than done. IMO
I don't do that.

The DR forks are real easy to work on as its just the one bolt on the bottom. Providing you have the right tool. You need a 30mm (I think) hex head on a longish extension to hold the internals whilst you undo the bolt.
I just welded a nut onto an old socket.

The first time it seems daunting but go for it, easy as.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:09 AM   #61807
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Electrical working!!

Ok after destroying 3 fuses pushed in all connectors all around and nothing happened and I pushed in the cables at the clutch area on handlebars and also pushed in the power cables by the throttle. Nothing worked.

Then I lowered the bars and did all the said mentioned things above and it worked. I believe it was either the power cable going into the throttle housing or the clutch power cable. Took off less stress and it worked. But i am telling you it didn't feel too tight to me. I pressed all the contacts together again and decided I better take out the 1" riser and just use the two inch rox that I got. I did that and placed another fuse in and wallah!! lights came on. I twisted the handlebars side to side and turned off the key switch over and over and the lights come back on. We have Ignition.

I

Thanks for all your help!

Lesson learned = No ape bars on your DR....Meaning over 2 inch unless installing longer cables throughout.

Boulder
Old 03-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #61808
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,635
As others have said, try to clean up the seal first. A strip cut from a thin plastic drink bottle will work, or a thin feeler gauge. Take your time and work all around the seal. If you need to take the fork apart, a wooden dowel or broomhandle shoved hard against the damper rod bolt will do the trick.

Sarah

Quote:

Old 03-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #61809
advchick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Mirrors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Hey TaZ9-

..............shu
hey taz which mirrors are these on your setup?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #61810
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:

As others have said, you may be able to just clean the seal out. You could try one of these, or just make your own. I bought a sheet of .016" thick plastic for about a dollar at the hardware store and cut out a similar shape. Fixed two fork seal leaks with it so far with no re-occurrence after several thousand miles. I carry it in my tool kit on the bike all the time now.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #61811
HiJincs
Wanna' B Hooligan

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Sweet i will check that and ADV Grifter info.

I will let you all know what it is.

B
Re: the big electrical connector under the tank!

Oh man, I had that happen to me also. It led to this:

The shame of being towed by a bimmer

When I got the bike home and finally figured out what it was, I was pissed 'cause I had everything I needed to find adn fix it on the trail.

When I die, show no pity, send my soul to Juggalo City.
Dig my grave six feet deep and put two Sidi's on my feet.
Put some leather over my chest and tell my family I did my best!
HiJincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #61812
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

What would happen if your on the freeway going 80 mph and your electrical dies out? Would it be the same as running out of gas as mine pretty much starts to shut down when i run out of gas but it drifts still and i can control the bike and pull the clutch in and either turn the RES on or drift to the outer lane.

But when electrical goes out do the wheels semi lock up due to being in gear? And that wont be good if since the power goes out instantly.

Yes I am worried that due to my blunder of stretching a cable out that it more easily might pull out again while riding.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #61813
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJincs View Post
Re: the big electrical connector under the tank!

Oh man, I had that happen to me also. It led to this:

The shame of being towed by a bimmer

When I got the bike home and finally figured out what it was, I was pissed 'cause I had everything I needed to find adn fix it on the trail.

Does anyone have a picture of which connection we are talking about? Want to double check mine
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #61814
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by advchick View Post
hey taz which mirrors are these on your setup?
That's my bike, advchick. Plain old stock mirrors. I don't have any trouble with them, set them wide and just tuck my elbow a little to see directly behind me.

.........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #61815
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
What would happen if your on the freeway going 80 mph and your electrical dies out? Would it be the same as running out of gas as mine pretty much starts to shut down when i run out of gas but it drifts still and i can control the bike and pull the clutch in and either turn the RES on or drift to the outer lane.
It will be like running out of fuel....it will be exactly like accidentally hitting the kill switch at speed....stops running but does not lock up.
2005 FJR1300 - "my Blue Angel"
My Twins are Twins!
1992 TDM850 - "Ginger" & 1993 TDM850 - "Raven"
clocklaw is offline   Reply With Quote