Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Mr. Ray OP
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,581
A long ride to return some Netflix - VT 6 gaps ride

March 22, 2012 - 6AM.

A little early morning Air guitar from my friend to occupy the body and mind as I struggle to find my EZ pass for the one toll on the way up 93N. Me "I'm sure it's around somewhere! Why do I always lose s***! F*** this, one more look in the places where it always is and we will leave". As I walk inside I hear what some riders dread most "But Mr. Ray I need gas before we leave." Luckily I don't have a pet peeve associated with that. I was looking forward to it so that I could calm down a little bit.

I really don't like looking for things. You would think that would cause me to be more organized or at least make some small effort. Right? Nope. Off we go.....

Flashback -

The other day after a brief outing to celebrate Mister $'s new job we returned home to change some oils and lube some well worn chains. As I was running upstairs, no doubt to look for something really important, I yelled down to the guys "wanna do 6 gaps Thursday?

"But Mr. Ray, says Stretch, we just went for a ride to celebrate the fact that I got a job. Are you having memory troubles?"

So that leaves Mr. K and I. After assuring him that it is worth it and we will not even notice the 168 miles of slab there and back he is convinced and I am unconvinced. So it's all set we'll head out at 6am Thursday and see what we'll find.

After all I do have to return a video.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Mr. Ray OP
Chemically Enhanced

After a 30 mile ride north on 93 we stopped for some coffee and a chat about the amazing weather. At this point I was convinced that this would be the best day of riding ever. After the toll we stopped to put on some layers as NH hadn't caught up in temperature yet.

After this wee tuned out and twisted wrists until the next gas stop. I took the opportunity to do what comes naturally and forget to take a picture . Luckily those damn Gixxers are gas hogs. I needed gas two times and Mr. K's bike needed it at least twice that.

Check this out. I have proof.

This is at the base of the Middlebury gap. The riding was fun but still wet and super sketchy at points. We'll get to that.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Mr. Ray OP
Chemically Enhanced

Next Gap - Different from the first.

When we cruised up the Lincoln gap road I noticed some signs that read the road ahead was closed. I assumed Mr. K did the same but he just kept going. "ok, maybe he thinks there is always a way around like I do" so we continued.

Things got super hairy in the battle of deep rutted road v. GSXR but we persevered and made it to the gate.

I was pretty sad to see the gate in our way but we decided to have a seat on it and make the best for the time being.

Then, as if by magic, the bikes were transported to the other side of the gate.

I guess we'd better enjoy it and see what happens.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Mr. Ray OP
Chemically Enhanced

THe Lincoln gap strikes back.

"Well you see that dirt there and then I saw the dip off to the side, then it got all wrong! I thought the pavement would continue."

This was the last photo op before lunch. The Appalachian gap was actually dry and in pretty decent shape. This gave us a chance for some sustained riding where I proved that my skills have diminished significantly over the winter (in spite of the brevity and warmth of the season). Then it was time for a stop at the Warren store for Lunch.

This place is perfect. There is really no need to describe it any further than that.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Mr. Ray OP
Chemically Enhanced

I hope they get this.

It was a great reason to use a different mailbox than I normally would.

We made the B-line for 89S and headed home after this. 474 miles. Out by 6:15 am and back by 4:48pm or so. We skipped the Roxbury gap because we were both aware that we were shot.

See you next time.