User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #76
yellowstoneguy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Subscribed

Can't wait to see all your photos and hear of your adventures. Good Beer and Safe Travels! By the way....the photography is excellent.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #77
SteveTheLocal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Thumb If I was the father of your girlfriend...

I'd be damn glad your gone!
Enjoying your ride. Riding with my son is the BEST! Too cool.
Ride safe. Check you mirrors all the time. They're crazy down there and I always get nasty surprises when I forget.
Subscribed.
SteveTheLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #78
arjones
Roads and Waves

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTheLocal View Post
I'd be damn glad your gone!
Enjoying your ride. Riding with my son is the BEST! Too cool.
Ride safe. Check you mirrors all the time. They're crazy down there and I always get nasty surprises when I forget.
Subscribed.

There are crazy people everywhere. I just remember the Betitolara report and, right away from the ferry, one of his crew just got screwed by a car... So it's not only "down there". If you are planning to have a good time with us "latinos" you better strip all your prejudices away and just enjoy the ride... Just my 2 cents, as people "up there" say.

Oh, yes, and for the first time I'm subscribed and waiting for the opportunity to offer my help when this great adventure takes its place in Brasil's northeast.

Ride on, man. Enjoy!

Arjones.
arjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #79
Droptop50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Time with your Dad...Priceless

Having lost my dad when I was 7, It makes me really happy for the time I ride or hang out with my son. ( or daughter). It was really cool that your dad joined you for a bit. Ride safe!
Droptop50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #80
Ozmandrew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I'm on board!

More fun to be had! Glad your pops could join. Hopefully he can meet you in Peru, grab a bike & you guys can explore together. I have MANY miles on street, dirt, racing, exploring on two wheels....but my best memories have been & continue to be riding with my dad. Have fun & be smart.
Ozmandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #81
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,646
If you can't make it to Peru and Bolivia spend the extra time in Colombia and Venezuela. Colombia is some of the best of everything of all of South America and the Andes in Venezuela aren't half bad, I got over 14K feet the other day and it's the cheapest gas in the world, really helps pad the old budget before getting into the super expensive Brazilian fuel

I've been quoted 5 days for my Brazilian visa in Caracas and 10 days in Bogota, I think I'll spend my time waiting in Colombia if I don't have a passport.

John in Merida, Venezuela and heading back West
Old 03-25-2012, 05:59 AM   #82
Droptop50
Gnarly Adventurer

Question Camera?

Just curious what are you shooting pics with?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #83
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Subscribed! I bet that the short time spent on the road with your dad for the beggining of the trip had to be a great experience. As others have mentioned you have taken some very good pictures. Keep on riding and most important saty safe.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #84
OldPete2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Thumb

Nice, a cool ride report RIGHT AT THE beginning! Subscribed, this ought to be good. Looks like "for the earth" is in for a good one.

Really cool that your dad was not only able to join you, but that he posts up here as well! I have had my twins riding with the wife and I since they were 5, they are 9 now. Hard to find proper road gear for little people, end up purchasing it from London England every year or so as they grow so fast, but TOTALLY worth it as we are building memories.

Once they are grown, I plan on riding WITH them just like your dad does with you.

Ride safe man, looking forward to your RR as it unfolds.

OP
OldPete2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #85
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 129
Finally some cool backroads

Quote:
Just curious what are you shooting pics with?
I shot film on a Canon AE-1 for the last 10 years and was very stubborn. Before the trip I bought my first digital, a Fuji X-10 and its the perfect travel camera. Its got a metal body and manual zoom and although the sensor is not all that big the quality is impressive.

I found some really cool coastal roads near San Blas, Mexico and I really started to love the adventure

I was reading about this in the newspaper over morning coffee and then I ran across it that day! Crazy

Dudes got jumped by some bandidos and they crashed, all of his bananas were on fire, heres what was left of the truck.

Sayulita for the night with a Spanish couple from CouchSurfing.org Eduardo and Ariadna

Actually Manzanillo was pretty cool too. I stayed with Airhead Wrangler (Spencer) and his girlfriend Mary and they convinced me to stay two nights and check out the town. Thanks guys!

Bulls balls and cow intestines anybody? Hows this for good picture quality? check out the veins on those bad boys. My motto is "I will try anything twice" but thats not true, I draw the line at testicles. Those dont belong in my mouth.

The butchers

This guy was cool, he uses a tiny hand saw to make custom designs on keys, only takes him 5 minutes per key.

Narco Cinema, there are literally hundreds of these low budget ultra violent flicks.

Hammock on the top of a hill, overlooking the city.

Panorama in a Juice bar

Panorama of a big ugly power plant that belches clouds of smoke all day every day

I love mexican slug bugs, vochitos

Damn the Mexican coast is big! I am in Zipolite at the moment, a little behind my updates, getting over a parasite that I picked up in Bellingham before Ieft, go figure. Mexico is costing me a lot more money than I expected with the crappy gas and cuotas, as much as I try to avoid them but my only guide is a crappy old map. Looking forward to Guatemala. Ive decided to take after BigAlSmith and throw a donation button, never expected but always appreciated. Last year my employer in Bellingham ran away, filed bankruptcy and my last three checks bounced, so I have $1800 less for this trip than I thought.

I have some savings though, its not an adventure if you dont have at least one variable out of control!

I like this one too "Adventure is misfortune recounted as leisure" -Somebody

Saludos!

HTML Code:

Amount     Couple-o-Beers $5.00 USD     Good Food! $10.00 USD     Cozy Bed $15.00 USD     Tank of Gas $20.00 USD     Darien Gap Crossing (Sketchy) $50.00 USD     Jungle Trek in Colombia $100.00 USD     River Ferry on the Amazon $200.00 USD     Darien Gap (Safe) $500.00 USD   

[IMG]https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/i/scr/pixel.gif[/IMG]
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #86
Droptop50
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorLaTierra View Post
... I draw the line at testicles. Those dont belong in my mouth....

Just blew coffee all over my screen!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #87
KradmelderSA
Banned

Oddometer: 846
Cant say i blame you. Each time I have been to america or europe I get this urge to leave and flee as fast as possible. The tame house cat, Politically Correct over regulated life where people are afraid to sneeze in the wrong direction or say anything in case someone takes offence. Over crowded, over developed, over regulated, conveninece everything. I want to scream. Never mind the weather. I need open space, the sun on my face, not too many rules and min government controlling my every breath.

Give Argentina a look. I worked there a bit. Fantastic country. More european than american. if I could speak spanish it would be an option. I spent a month there and enjoyed it, except i was there in winter and the far south in Rio Gallegos and Rio Turbio were cold and dark.
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #88
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Lovin' this thread!
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #89
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 129
Donate button

Ok so that HTML did not work. It showed up fine on the preview but it looks like its not clear on the post. My website has a donate button on the bottom of each post if you feel so inclined
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #90
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Good stuff man! Looking forward to following along!