Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
I went out to the garage and measured the spokes while Dog was eating. The front spoke is .143" and rear measures .157". Butting spokes is a strengthening practice for weight savings. Doesn't make that spindly thing as strong as a straight gage spoke except in the loaded area by the hub.

A double butted spoke (both ends thicker) has more elasticity than a straight gage and will tranfer loads to adjacent spokes under heavy loads to avoid breaking. But that's more for bicycle wheels where they're treading thin ice on strength. Like I said those spokes have some mileage on them and............well I'm no lightweight so they've been subjected to considerable punishment.

My CRF 450R has straight gage stainless spokes as well and they are 8 years old and subjected to the same punishment. When you carry my bulk saving weight by the gram is simply nonsense.
Thanks for the measurements and feedback. Those Buchanan guys have been around a long time. I remember them in the '70's. There was a nice article about them in Motorcycle Classics, it was great to see they are still around.

I agree with you. I am sure those spokes can take much more of a beating than I can these days...

FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote