Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
bigphish
Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer: 384
A buddy of mine and myself both bought one just out of high school circa 1972. We were in to the So Cal moto cross scene and promptly tore them down, ported the shit out of them and just tweakes to the max. Screaming great fun. The most fun I can remember on a bike. The chicks just loved it as well. I would love another just to have in the garage and play with.

94 CB 1000 " Big One "
K7 DL 1000
bigphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #17
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,479
Depends on what you're used to,most of the speed may be attributed to nostalgia (I have 10 of them)Great bikes but pretty underwhelming.just my opinion. The DG heads are worth a few bucks.
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
I started riding a 4 stroke mini bike in 69 and by 1972 I had graduated to a 2 stroke Bridgstone mountain 90, wasnt real fast, maybe run 53 or 54 mph, went to a Bridgestone 90 sport, worked my way up through a couple more Bridgestone 90's and a 100, then went to a Bridgestone dual twin 175, had either a 4 down rotary 4 sp transmission with neutral at the end or 5 speed. I rode a 350 Honda and thought, shit this things a dog. 2 strokes rule. I havent owned one since the late 70's, but I'd jump on a nice RD or just about any other mid size 2 stroke in a heartbeat.
i had a series of bridgestones also. started with a 90 sport then a 200 my last one was a 350gtr. was ahead of it's time and a shame they quit making them. wrenched on them for a local dealer for a while in my teens.
to the op buy the yamaha and don't look back. it's a deal.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #19
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
i had an early rd . An aircooled 1970 i think.
It was a VERY fun bike for the time.
Seemed like it had out of this world power .In reality it only had 40 -50 hp and topped out at 95 mph .
I saw one at a show recently and couldnt get over how small it was .It didnt seem small when I was young kid.
After riding todays fast bikes I dont think a ride on the little rd would excite me.

If speed and power is your deal, it probably aint for you. For me, I left a KZ 750 for a Honda V twin, from that to a GL 1800 and now on a KLR. Speed and horsepower is fun for a little while but I really prefer a bike I can wail on and not garner too much attention. I'd be perfectly fine on an Enfield.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #20
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
If speed and power is your deal, it probably aint for you. For me, I left a KZ 750 for a Honda V twin, from that to a GL 1800 and now on a KLR. Speed and horsepower is fun for a little while but I really prefer a bike I can wail on and not garner too much attention. I'd be perfectly fine on an Enfield.
im 56 and fast bikes still give me a woody.!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,353
You should buy it for sure. Those DG heads are nice looking, otherwise no improvement over stock. I've seen them go for $500 if in good shape. I've got one thats all tweaked out, and it is so much fun, it's absurd. If you buy it, be ready for someone to come up to you every time you fill it up with gas, who had one back in the day, and is dying to hear you start it up, so he can feel all nostalgic. A piped RD will make you an expert in jetting carbs. Have fun, and please put up pictures if you get it. And by the way, there's a 2 stroke sub-forum in Old's Cool. Check it out.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #22
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
im 56 and fast bikes still give me a woody.!
Thats cool, they dont do much for me anymore. Every job I have had for the last 20 years depended on a clean driving record, too many tickets and I'd be flipping burgers. If it can go the speed limit without blowing up, I'm okay, if it will run 10 over, even better.

IBA 22425
Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #23
bloodandmotoroil OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
if i wanted top speed and blurs i'd hop into my 46 international hot rod and crank the ford GAA V8 alive and
hit the highway. i can blur pased busa's with it like they are stopped. but i built her for the salt flats.

i want the lil two stroke for fun, for buzzing around and carving corners and generaly making me smile.
bloodandmotoroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #24
caryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
I succumbed to the RD bug a couple of years ago. I have a 1976 RD400. The comment about the memory vs reality is spot on. The RD does turn well primarily because it's small and light by comparison to a modern sport bike. The brakes on the other hand absolutely suck. It does move rapidly when on the pipe, but it's tiring to make it do so. It is fun in spite of the extra effort. However, with the money spent, and the money required to "make it right", well it's $5k I would rather have back and simply live with the memory.

Chuck
2003 Kawasaki KDX220R
1976 Yamaha RD400C
caryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #25
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodandmotoroil View Post
if i wanted top speed and blurs i'd hop into my 46 international hot rod and crank the ford GAA V8 alive and
hit the highway. i can blur pased busa's with it like they are stopped. but i built her for the salt flats.

i want the lil two stroke for fun, for buzzing around and carving corners and generaly making me smile.
Buzzing around; check

Making you smile; check

Carving corners; not so much till you put modern 'spenders on it. Until then you can still relish in the satisfaction of dusting new so-called Hemi Challengers. You know, the guys that wished they had an RD350 in high school.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
I had a 180,250,350 yamapoppers. Before the 500 tripples. :)
Old 03-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #27
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryder View Post
I succumbed to the RD bug a couple of years ago. I have a 1976 RD400. The comment about the memory vs reality is spot on. The RD does turn well primarily because it's small and light by comparison to a modern sport bike. The brakes on the other hand absolutely suck. It does move rapidly when on the pipe, but it's tiring to make it do so. It is fun in spite of the extra effort. However, with the money spent, and the money required to "make it right", well it's $5k I would rather have back and simply live with the memory.

Chuck

That would apply to just about any pre 1980 bike made. I mean Jotas are what 90 horsepower, a 900SS duck was maybe 80 horses.

IBA 22425
Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #28
coppertop
occasional meanderthal

Oddometer: 241
about those brakes...

For a '79 Daytona Special, it was pretty easy to fab a mount and put a caliper from an R6 on the front. Of course, you'll also want a braided stainless steel brake line and probably will want to change to a different master cylinder to get the best ratio for your personal preference. It's no where near as fast as modern machines, but it is light, simple, and has an accessible power band, so you can feel (and sound!) like you are being a total maniac without breaking the law too badly.
coppertop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #29
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Raced them in the 70's and still have an old street bike back in the trees somewhere. Getting one for the right price might be fun but I don't see them worth spending much $$ on. Which is why I haven't bothered with the one I have. Any modern sportbike is going to make them feel antiquated and slow.

Some things are a lot better as memories.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #30
Pat Ventures
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
In the day I believe the RD350 was called the giant killer. Would smoke higher caliber bikes of the time in the turns.