Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #301
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms View Post
After talking to the dude over at Rox I went with these, he didn't seem to think the stock top clamps would squeeze into the 1 3/4 risers, these are on the way.

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/ca...?parts_id=9690

Anybody got a Sargent Seat? I love their seats, best thing to happen to butts since the thong bikini! :loll
That's the right riser for the bike. Just make sure you can get a brake line made before you get all jiggy. The stock brake line will work on a 1200GS, as Rox says in the ad, but will not work on the F800R.

Sargent seats are pretty good seats for an aftermarket seat, but you will pay about the same amount of money for a superior custom seat. Check out Rich's Custom Seats. He does a gel seat that IMHO is waaay better than regular aftermarket seats, with gel and leather about $550. I got a quote from KnoPlace for $200 for gel and leather. For $200 I'm definitely going to try them out.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #302
Kahrnage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theory View Post
The garage is in Norway and the snow is all gone in my part of the country.
Time to get the bike out for some sun and exercise

Do you have the part nr for the plate? (nice mod btw)
I checked my bike yesterday and its gone!
Dust and water gets under my saddle, so i need a new one.
I'd contact the dealer. Mine can without the part and my buddies bike came with it. I let my dealer know and they had one for me in less than a week. That part fits in there really tight and I cannot see it falling out so your bike most likely didn't get shipped with one.
Kahrnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #303
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,421
Which plate?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #304
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanP View Post
Well, that's what the website says. The bikes in the US are obviously not nor have ever been thanks at least in part to those charcoal canisters. The 2012 owners manual now states they are 13.5 liters while the previous manual's stated they were 16 liters. Still doesn't make it right, but I would say the only way to find a 16L tank in the US on that bike is if someone imported one or changed out the tanks which I would actually do if I had a 16L tank.
a friend from bmw moa said yesterday:
I received a response to my email to Anthony Cavanaugh, following up on your issue regarding the gas tank capacity for your F800R. In his response he reports that model year 2011 and prior years, imported into the US had the smaller tank. European models always had the larger tank and it was adopted for the US F800R as a 2012 updates.
He also said that the matter had been reviewed extensively within BMW including involvement with the Vice President. It is their position that 'the bike is operating as designed and there are no defects in materials or workmanship."
I am sorry you had the difficulties you encountered when you ran out of gas. It is also unfortunate that you did not get the tank capacity you expected, although your owners manual gives the correct capacity.
It's not my role to judge correct or incorrect in these matters, but rather to try to solve them, if possible, to our members satisfaction. In this case, a satisfactory resolution to you is not possible. Mechanically, there is nothing that can be done. The issue has also been to the top of their organization, and those decisions are not usually subject to change.
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #305
EmanP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
That is completely false. My friend and I just bought brand new 2012's and they have smaller capacity tanks. What's more, the user manual for 2012 (10.2011 4th edition) has changed it's content to include that the fuel quantity is 3.6 gals (13.5L) which reflects what they actually are. The user manuals before that (06.2010 3rd edition) states that it is 16L which is 4.2 gal. I have the 2nd edition, 3rd edition and 4th edition manuals and a new 2012 F800R for reference.

What's more your owners manual did not give the correct capacity as it states it's 16L/4.2 gal since you have the 2011. At least with our 2012's the user manual is correct although the BMW website is still incorrect. The manual also has a disclaimer that says it may not say the right thing.
EmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #306
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

I would swear mine took 3.694 gallons when I filled up yesterday, my fuel light came on 5 miles back. I could be wrong but I made a point to look at how much fuel it took as that was my first tank and I didnt know what the capacity was. Its a 2012 I picked up Tuesday.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #307
flkovacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
I would swear mine took 3.694 gallons when I filled up yesterday, my fuel light came on 5 miles back. I could be wrong but I made a point to look at how much fuel it took as that was my first tank and I didnt know what the capacity was. Its a 2012 I picked up Tuesday.
that's encouraging ... does your 2012 user manual specify fuel tank capacity? i found it on the back of my 2011 user manual.
thanks, i may be looking into getting a '12,
ferenc
flkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #308
EmanP
Adventurer

That's what it is remember, 3.6 gal and that's what the new owners manual state. The website lists 4.2 gal.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #309
Kahrnage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Which plate?
Photobucket
this one
Kahrnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #310
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

It finally got over 32 degrees today and the 5 foot snowbanks are now only 56 inches. But all this business about gas capacity got me wondering what the big deal is, so I dug out my "Rider's Manual (US Model)" just to check. It's the 3rd edition, June 2010, and state's on the back that the tank capacity is 15.5 liters. Useable fuel is 13.5 liters and reserve is 2 liters. It says that's approximately 3.6 gallons useable and 2.1 quarts reserve. I did a conversion on 15.5 liters and that works out to be a total tank capacity that's slightly over 4.09 gallons.

I still don't know what the big deal is. You need to get gas when you hit 150 miles. (I fill my GS at less than 200 miles.) If that's truly a problem for some reason, maybe an adventure model or an 800GS would be a better fit. Or, if you want to turn this into a distance sport tourer, you could hang some bags on it and a rack and throw a 2 gallon can on the back. Stranger things have been done in the name of adventure.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
Old 03-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #311
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Hey Kahrnage-

I took a look at the tail on my bike yesterday. The plastic plate is there and it all makes sense how you rigged the license plate light. The question I have is where you relocated the license plate. If you mounted it where the bracket was mounted, that looks to be pretty far forward and I'm wondering about the clearance. Have you had a chance to wring her out and see if the license plate is hitting the tire? Thanks.

Roger
IBA #47244
Old 03-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #312
EmanP
Adventurer

According to him, no it's not. I followed him for about 120 miles today and i never noticed it even coming close but than again I wasn't focused there either. I know that others have posted in other places that they had to bend it back a little to make sure there was clearance. If you don't and it doesn't clear, you'll notice the tire bending it back on it's own which should be clue 1.

On another note, I finally got to take mine out today after bringing it home. Put 150 miles on it and I've been riding it hard since I'm breaking it in. Fuel light came on at 134 miles and when I fueled up at 147 miles I put 3.59 gallons into it. I was averageing about 40mpg, far far far away from 65mpg.

EmanP screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 08:37 PM
Old 03-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #313
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Quote:
According to him, no it's not. I followed him for about 120 miles today and i never noticed it even coming close but than again I wasn't focused there either. I know that others have posted in other places that they had to bend it back a little to make sure there was clearance. If you don't and it doesn't clear, you'll notice the tire bending it back on it's own which should be clue 1.

On another note, I finally got to take mine out today after bringing it home. Put 150 miles on it and I've been riding it hard since I'm breaking it in. Fuel light came on at 134 miles and when I fueled up at 147 miles I put 3.59 gallons into it. I was averageing about 40mpg, far far far away from 65mpg.
How hard have you been riding? Above 5000 RPM? I have not been babying mine but have kept it between 4000 and 5000 RPM, mine has 275 miles. A couple short bursts above 5K but thats it. I dont want to ride too hard before the runn in check but want to set those rings for sure, dont want an oil burner.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #314
EmanP
Adventurer

Hard. A lot harder than you've been. I have different ideas about break in, ones that you probably don't agree with.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #315
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Quote:
Hard. A lot harder than you've been. I have different ideas about break in, ones that you probably don't agree with.
I am sure I would not completely disagree, whats your theory? I have always thought most manufacturers want you to ride softer than they should be.