Old 03-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #2491
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbike13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Here's the current list of customer initials and destination states.

B.B.Y., NJ Shipped as of 02/07
R.S., CA
P.B., OR
J.R.T., CO
M.S., CA
G.C., NH
D.L., CO
L.S., TX
S.P., CO
R.S., TX
M.K., WI
T.T., TN
K.A., WI
A.B., CT
K.D., VA
D.M., WA
R.L., CA
J.P., TN
C.R., CA
D.S., PA
D.T., TX
J.Y., CA
M.L., NJ
M.W., GA
R.H., VA
D.M., WA
J.P., TX
C.M., CA

----------
M.P., FL Shipped as of 03/03
J.M., MI
G.H., WA
S.B., LA
L.D., WA
G.K.W., APO/AE
C.K., FL
A.C., TX
M.F., MI
M.P., SC
J.L., TX
M.C., CO
F.F., FL
A.G., TX
R.B., NM
V.T., WA
W.R.D., OH
P.C., CA
B.W., IL
J.C., CA
D.B., PA
R.F., GA
R.L., NY
K.W., CA
M.M., IL
D.C., VA
M.H., IL
J.W., CA

----------
D.R., CA Shipped as of 03/16
J.N., AZ
J.S., HI
T.V., OR
S.B., OK
D.W., NC
G.A., CA
B.C., CA
G.B., TX
J.K., KS
S.B., IL
K.Y., CA
R.B., MS
M.C., GA
J.F., GA
G.F., AZ
C.B., CO
D.P.P., MI
D.R., VA
K.F., CA
K.D., CO
J.S., ID
D.L., CA
K.V.U., CA
J.K., AR
G.R., NH
H.B., CO
J.G., WA
F.C., MS
J.V., VA
M.F., CA 
J.H., CA

----------
USBA, IN  Scheduled for 03/27
D.B., NJ
J.L., MO
D.H., CA
R.W., KY
S.S., WA
D.V., WA
K.S., MO
K.P., IL
J.B., FL
W.G., CO
M.C., CA
E.S., CA
D.B., CA
R.D., CA
M.C., WA
M.F., TX
M.G., DE
T.M., TX
A.H., OR
E.A., NV
GEI, OR
G.H., CO
J.J., CA
J.H., OR
M.D., AR
W.W., ID
M.J.S., CA
R.P., GA
----------
A.H., TX  Scheduled for --/--
M.M., CA
E.C., CA
M.S., CA
M.S., MI
C.T., CA
M.M., CO
D.R., CA
D.B., MA
D.S., CO
M.T., CA
T.C., GA
M.W., NY
C.T., ID
J.N., CA
D.S., CA
A.P., CO
E.H., CA

That amounts to 152 pieces. (Plus the last minute entries. If you missed the cutoff date send me a PM or email.)

The IICE Airs are built in 30+ piece quantities.
A batch may have fewer initials as some people ordered more than one.

Disappointed to see the ship date has been pushed back again for the third week in a row. Trying to be patient and do appreciate the effort it takes to get them built and mailed. Hope to see the arrival soon! Thanks.
You don't seem very patient.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #2492
jadoca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Enough already, the AIRE is stagnant. Refund checks are in the mail Give the people what they want. It's COOL time...........
Old 03-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #2493
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadoca View Post
Enough already, the AIRE is stagnant. Refund checks are in the mail Give the people what they want. It's COOL time...........
Selfish little gnome aren't you?
Look, he's one guy in a workshop cranking these things out in his spare time. If you don't want hand made stuff don't order it. When he does release the COOL you're going to complain that that took too long too I'll bet. Heck you're allready complaining aren't you? You're lucky it's not me making these things. If I were you could kiss your chance to be on the list fot the COOLs good bye.

Do stand up guys lie?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #2494
jadoca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Thanks Mike. I accept your apology now that you have figured out that I already have had the AIRE for some time, love it and can hardly wait for the COOL
Old 03-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #2495
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post

The Dobeck products are very secretive about what their product does and how it does it, or how much fuel it adds in which "map" areas. Since the 1032 only "monitors & drives" (not intercepts) the common injector lead I had deduced that it looked at rep-rate and pulse width. (Interestingly, to measure pulse width it has to let the injector start to go off and then almost instantaneously turn it back on for their "extension". Otherwise there is no width to measure. Also, I really wonder after a fuel overrun cuttoff event, how many cycles it takes it to recompute the rep rate.) I just couldn't deduce why they would bother intercepting (I fully agree that it's a misleading choice of word) rather than disconnecting the O2 like they do in most of their configurations.

Hummm, Technical Illusion ... Some might think of it like that PT Barnum phrase ...
Yea he and I had a good laugh over that one. But seriously the guy has a pretty good operation going on over there in where are they now, Colorado? I personally wouldn't build a product like the Techlusion, but for what it is it seems to work well enough.

Dobeck Performance 'public face' doesn't appear very secretive to me. The what, when, and how of the product function seems obvious just by looking at it. Their advertising comes across as typically informative as any, reading between the lines at any rate.

But to answer your tech question, it "picks up the rep-rate and pulse width" at the first combustion event following Overrun Fuel Cutoff. I can't think of a way to do it any faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post

I'm not a fan of products that disable the O2 Closed Loop operation. Once you disconnect the O2 it ceases to do its "adaptation magic", keeping fueling predictable despite bike to bike injector, fuel pressure, battery and other variations. And I'm not a fan of the Tech because it is hard to know how much fuel it's adding and when, AND it disconnects O2.

Thanks for taking the time to fill us in.
I understand you're a big fan of the LC-1 methodology. You have one fitted to your bike with great success. I certainly appreciate how the product works, and penned a similar design about 8 or 9 years ago. But still, there are many ways to skin a cat.

Like I was saying in the other posts about the Techlusion/Wunderlich, it is what it is.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18291552
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post18234594

I'm not much of a fan of things, and I usually don't spare seemingly unkind words if a product is a real pile. But I have no axe to grind either.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #2496
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post

You're lucky it's not me making these things.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #2497
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Yea he and I had a good laugh over that one. But seriously the guy has a pretty good operation going on over there in where are they now, Colorado? I personally wouldn't build a product like the Techlusion, but for what it is it seems to work well enough.

Dobeck Performance 'public face' doesn't appear very secretive to me. The what, when, and how of the product function seems obvious just by looking at it. Their advertising comes across as typically informative as any, reading between the lines at any rate.

But to answer your tech question, it "picks up the rep-rate and pulse width" at the first combustion event following Overrun Fuel Cutoff. I can't think of a way to do it any faster.

I understand you're a big fan of the LC-1 methodology. You have one fitted to your bike with great success. I certainly appreciate how the product works, and penned a similar design about 8 or 9 years ago. But still, there are many ways to skin a cat.

Like I was saying in the other posts about the Techlusion/Wunderlich, it is what it is.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18291552
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post18234594

I'm not much of a fan of things, and I usually don't spare seemingly unkind words if a product is a real pile. But I have no axe to grind either.

I think it is a clever product for those who don't mind losing the many benefits of Closed Loop operation, and who don't mind not knowing exactly what it does. I really think products should be clear about what they do and where/how they do it.

I had all the options and selected the LC-1 because it is fully sympatico with the Motronic's regular operation and because it keeps closed loop fully enabled.

No axe to grind here, just understanding the differences. I think we're in violent agreement.

roger 04 rt screwed with this post 03-24-2012 at 08:08 PM
Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #2498
RomaDakota
Illuminatus

Oddometer: 1,333
No data, no drama.
Paid my bill and we rode 250 miles home.
Aire made it through the 12k.
Standing by for the co**, errrr, holding short...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post
Certainly my heart is with the f-it crowd. Well, we'll see how it goes. Last I saw, she was bleeding from many orifices. Currently napping at the dealership as I type. Until tomorrow...
Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #2499
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
Ok, so mine arrived. I had sorta forgotten about it.... Well, not really forgotten, but once I placed the order I just put it out of my mind and went on with life. Then this past week I was out of town on business and when I got home Friday afternoon I found a package in the living room. MrsRandy hadn't said anything about it coming but that doesn't surprise me too much. I can't even say how long it had been here actually. I just FOUND it Friday so I just assume it came last week.

Anyway, I decided to install it last night so I could try it out today. Went out into the garage, opened the package and sure enough, it was the IICE Air unit. So, I took it out of the package and fondled it a bit as I looked it over. Then it hit me, I had completely forgotten how it hook up the damn thing or jumping which pins did what. Of course returning to the first post of this thread answered my questions quick enough, and within a few minutes I had it installed and zip-tied to the frame rail behind the pop-off plastic cover. I just left is at the factory default setting of -20*.

Then, since it was nice in the garage, I had nothing else to do and I was all alone at home, I decided to spend some quality time tinkering around. I had noticed that the bike was starting to get a little more vibey on the last couple of rides and suspected that it was due a little attention. Sure enough checking my service notes I realized that it was a little past time for a valve adjustment and TB synch, so I went ahead and did that last night too. I was a little hesitant since I kinda wanted to get a feel for what the IICE Air did all alone, but you know how that goes...

After adjusting the valves (Well, I say adjusted... in actuality they were all pretty much in spec and only one intake on the right cylinder felt slightly different from the others) I started the bike to do the TB synch. That was the first thing that I noticed. Perhaps it was just my imagination, or maybe it was just a fluke, but the GS hadn't been started in a week or so.... now this bike has always been a little sluggish to start the first time of the day, but not this time. Nope, this time it just started right up as if it had been running all day already. Again, I can't say for sure that the IICE Air did anything but I do know that it surprised me how quickly the bike jumped to life last night. Was it a fluke?

Today was absolutely beautiful with temps in the mid 70's and partly cloudy so it turned out to be a great day for a ride after all the rain of yesterday. So, after doing a few other mundane tasks and eating lunch I get suited up and head out to the garage. Well, one again the GS leaps to life much quicker than ever before. Is this a fluke? The nice weather? Or does the IICE Air improve starting? To be honest I can't remember what all claims I've read of for this gadget so I can't say for sure. All I know is that after installing it the bike has started easier and quicker each and every time it's been started. For my money, I'd say that it's already earned its keep before the first wheel was turned.

Ok, so now for the riding impressions. First off I wish I could say "OH MY GOD!!! This thing is like installing a turbo on my bike!!", but I can't. What I can say is that I put around 200 miles on it today and I had fully intended to disconnect it for a while so I could get a back to back seat of the pants feel for what it actually does. But, the more I rode it the more convinced I became that it was doing something that I liked, so I never got around to unhooking it. I will, but today just was too much fun to take a chance of taking away from it. It's sort of difficult to really explain exactly what it does other than that it seems as though my bike runs as it should.

The throttle response seems much better and smoother.

The shifting seems smoother too. Not that it affects the transmission, but the on-off throttle transitions during shifting are smoother which is something that I've always felt were a little off on this bike. It's just always seemed as though it took an inordinate amount of concentration to be smooth when shifting on this bike compared to all of my others. This is of course mostly evident when riding two-up and you can feel your passenger shifting around each time your not smooth in shifting. But today it just seemed that the shifting throttle transitions were much smoother than usual.

Power gains are a little hard to quantify. I rode around today testing various throttle settings and RPM trying to get a feel. Again, I need to do a more thorough test of stock compared to the IICE Air but all I can offer today is general impressions. Overall I'd say that the bike did accelerate better although it's difficult to say that it actually made more power. It may, but when you make improvements in throttle response it can often fool the butt dyno so without real dyno testing I will only say that it did feel quicker overall, and I did feel the front get light on several occasions. Again, that could just be the throttle response, but I do know that on quite a few occasions, in first and second, when I really cranked on the throttle I did feel the front tire get extremely light. In fact, I have no doubt that with a little provocation I could have lifted it. This is also something that felt very different on this bike.

Now I guess I should give the particulars on my bike so anyone that cares will know what I'm describing here. 2003 R1150GS with cat eliminating Y-pipe and Laser Duo-Tech can. Contrary to what some will say, not all GS's surge and this one never has. I did however have some pinging issues under load on hot days. I fought that one for awhile, trying all the carbon cleaning, sucking things into the engine stuff, etc. Then I read a thread somewhere on here about adjusting the hall effect sensor. Once I made the little needle tipped test leads and adjusted to the proper output voltage I haven't had any pinging since. Basically all this does, AFAIK, is retard the static timing. I never detected any negative effects and the adjustment was very small, but it did put an end to my pinging issues. So, overall I thought I had a pretty good running 1150.... But it just got better today.

Now, I know this wasn't a scientific test and it wasn't even a very good seat of the pants test since I didn't ride the bike back to back with and without the IICE Air, but it's mainly just a first impression report. I guess in a nut shell I can say that I don't regret buying this device at all, and I tend to be a tight-ass. Even if it's just in my head, it's worth it 'cause it sure made my bike feel good today. But, I know it isn't in my head. The bike did have a smoother power delivery and better overall throttle response both coming on and off the throttle. It seemed as though it made the throttle more "connected" and easier to modulate as well.

Looking forward to more "testing" in the coming months.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 03-24-2012 at 08:36 PM
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #2500
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadoca View Post
Thanks Mike. I accept your apology now that you have figured out that I already have had the AIRE for some time, love it and can hardly wait for the COOL
Stay classy gnome

Do stand up guys lie?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #2501
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,330
You can also restore 'stock' operation by moving the jumper to the -0 position, instead of removing it. Either accomplishes the same thing.

And just so you know…
The Air only really has an effect when the throttle itself moves (as in opens or closes) and not when it is held steady. Well mostly anyhow.

I described the Air's overall effect like getting a tuneup. Everything is just a little crisper, transitions, as in changing the rpm's of the engine using the throttle, are more precise with less lag and more closely resemble an electric motor.

JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Ok, so mine arrived. I had sorta forgotten about it.... Well, not really forgotten, but once I placed the order I just put it out of my mind and went on with life. Then this past week I was out of town on business and when I got home Friday afternoon I found a package in the living room. MrsRandy hadn't said anything about it coming but that doesn't surprise me too much. I can't even say how long it had been here actually. I just FOUND it Friday so I just assume it came last week.

Anyway, I decided to install it last night so I could try it out today. Went out into the garage, opened the package and sure enough, it was the IICE Air unit. So, I took it out of the package and fondled it a bit as I looked it over. Then it hit me, I had completely forgotten how it hook up the damn thing or jumping which pins did what. Of course returning to the first post of this thread answered my questions quick enough, and within a few minutes I had it installed and zip-tied to the frame rail behind the pop-off plastic cover. I just left is at the factory default setting of -20*.

Then, since it was nice in the garage, I had nothing else to do and I was all alone at home, I decided to spend some quality time tinkering around. I had noticed that the bike was starting to get a little more vibey on the last couple of rides and suspected that it was due a little attention. Sure enough checking my service notes I realized that it was a little past time for a valve adjustment and TB synch, so I went ahead and did that last night too. I was a little hesitant since I kinda wanted to get a feel for what the IICE Air did all alone, but you know how that goes...

After adjusting the valves (Well, I say adjusted... in actuality they were all pretty much in spec and only one intake on the right cylinder felt slightly different from the others) I started the bike to do the TB synch. That was the first thing that I noticed. Perhaps it was just my imagination, or maybe it was just a fluke, but the GS hadn't been started in a week or so.... now this bike has always been a little sluggish to start the first time of the day, but not this time. Nope, this time it just started right up as if it had been running all day already. Again, I can't say for sure that the IICE Air did anything but I do know that it surprised me how quickly the bike jumped to life last night. Was it a fluke?

Today was absolutely beautiful with temps in the mid 70's and partly cloudy so it turned out to be a great day for a ride after all the rain of yesterday. So, after doing a few other mundane tasks and eating lunch I get suited up and head out to the garage. Well, one again the GS leaps to life much quicker than ever before. Is this a fluke? The nice weather? Or does the IICE Air improve starting? To be honest I can't remember what all claims I've read of for this gadget so I can't say for sure. All I know is that after installing it the bike has started easier and quicker each and every time it's been started. For my money, I'd say that it's already earned its keep before the first wheel was turned.

Ok, so now for the riding impressions. First off I wish I could say "OH MY GOD!!! This thing is like installing a turbo on my bike!!", but I can't. What I can say is that I put around 200 miles on it today and I had fully intended to disconnect it for a while so I could get a back to back seat of the pants feel for what it actually does. But, the more I rode it the more convinced I became that it was doing something that I liked, so I never got around to unhooking it. I will, but today just was too much fun to take a chance of taking away from it. It's sort of difficult to really explain exactly what it does other than that it seems as though my bike runs as it should.

The shifting seems smoother too. Not that it affects the transmission, but the on-off throttle transitions during shifting are smoother which is something that I've always felt were a little off on this bike. It's just always seemed as though it took an inordinate amount of concentration to be smooth when shifting on this bike compared to all of my others. This is of course mostly evident when riding two-up and you can feel your passenger shifting around each time your not smooth in shifting. But today it just seemed that the shifting throttle transitions were much smoother than usual.

Power gains are a little hard to quantify. I rode around today testing various throttle settings and RPM trying to get a feel. Again, I need to do a more thorough test of stock compared to the IICE Air but all I can offer today is general impressions. Overall I'd say that the bike did accelerate better although it's difficult to say that it actually made more power. It may, but when you make improvements in throttle response it can often fool the butt dyno so without real dyno testing I will only say that it did feel quicker overall, and I did feel the front get light on several occasions. Again, that could just be the throttle response, but I do know that on quite a few occasions, in first and second, when I really cranked on the throttle I did feel the front tire get extremely light. In fact, I have no doubt that with a little provocation I could have lifted it. This is also something that felt very different on this bike.

Now I guess I should give the particulars on my bike so anyone that cares will know what I'm describing here. 2003 R1150GS with cat eliminating Y-pipe and Laser Duo-Tech can. Contrary to what some will say, not all GS's surge and this one never has. I did however have some pinging issues under load on hot days. I fought that one for awhile, trying all the carbon cleaning, sucking things into the engine stuff, etc. Then I read a thread somewhere on here about adjusting the hall effect sensor. Once I made the little needle tipped test leads and adjusted to the proper output voltage I haven't had any pinging since. Basically all this does, AFAIK, is retard the static timing. I never detected any negative effects and the adjustment was very small, but it did put an end to my pinging issues. So, overall I thought I had a pretty good running 1150.... But it just got better today.

Now, I know this wasn't a scientific test and it wasn't even a very good seat of the pants test since I didn't ride the bike back to back with and without the IICE Air, but it's mainly just a first impression report. I guess in a nut shell I can say that I don't regret buying this device at all, and I tend to be a tight-ass. Even if it's just in my head, it's worth it 'cause it sure made my bike feel good today. But, I know it isn't in my head. The bike did have a smoother power delivery and better overall throttle response both coming on and off the throttle. It seemed as though it made the throttle more "connected" and easier to modulate as well.

Looking forward to more "testing" in the coming months.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
Old 03-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #2502
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
You can also restore 'stock' operation by moving the jumper to the -0 position, instead of removing it. Either accomplishes the same thing.

And just so you know…
The Air only really has an effect when the throttle itself moves (as in opens or closes) and not when it is held steady. Well mostly anyhow.

I described the Air's overall effect like getting a tuneup. Everything is just a little crisper, transitions, as in changing the rpm's of the engine using the throttle, are more precise with less lag and more closely resemble an electric motor.

JJ
Yeah, I considered that initially, but figured that the gross motor skill movements of unplugging the temp sensor plugs and re-plugging back to stock configuration was a safer bet than fumbling around and dropping the little jumper thing in the grass alongside the road... In the end though, neither happened because I was enjoying riding with it installed too much to worry about comparing. I guess once the "new" wears off I'll satisfy my curiosity as well as confirm that it isn't just in my head.

And yeah, the throttle transitions was where I could feel a difference.

I guess your electric motor analogy is similar to my description of, "It seemed as though it made the throttle more "connected" and easier to modulate as well".

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 03-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #2503
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

The bike did have a smoother power delivery and better overall throttle response...

It seemed as though it made the throttle more "connected" and easier to modulate as well.

I will only say that it did feel quicker overall, and I did feel the front get light on several occasions.

I do know that on quite a few occasions, in first and second, when I really cranked on the throttle I did feel the front tire get extremely light. In fact, I have no doubt that with a little provocation I could have lifted it. This is also something that felt very different on this bike.

Overall I'd say that the bike did accelerate better although it's difficult to say that it actually made more power.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

In all seriousness, thanks for the thorough report. You're not the first person to say those things about the power. "Goes really great... Accelerates much better... Front end is light... But I don't know if it's making more power."

Old 03-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #2504
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
Y

JJ
Poolside,

This reminds me of a question I wanted to ask: If you're going to perform a tune-up, TB sync, or any other engine-related maintenance work, is there a benefit to returning the jumper to the -0 (stock) position first (vs leaving it at -20) or does it make no difference at all...? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #2505
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post

This reminds me of a question I wanted to ask: If you're going to perform a tune-up, TB sync, or any other engine-related maintenance work, is there a benefit to returning the jumper to the -0 (stock) position first (vs leaving it at -20) or does it make no difference at all...? Thanks!
Hey there Giuseppe.

JJ answered that one just the other day. I'll have to put a link to it in the FAQ section located in the first post of this thread.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post18288813

It doesn't make any difference, either way balanced throttle bodies are balanced throttle bodies.

Closed Thread