User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Tarka OP
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,985
Varooming about on a Vespa (Updated with second day)

So,I`m off work for 16 days and we`ve got perfect blue skies and sunny weather.
And I`ve got a brand new (one of only 30 in the U.K.) Vespa PX150 Anniversary Edition that needs a few hundred more miles on it to complete the running-in process.

Early to rise and let`s get pop-pop-popping into North Wales for some scenery!
The Vespa`s only got about 300 miles on it but I can now go beyond the previous 30mph limit to about 40-45mph for a bit as part of the break-in.
The hills where we are heading will help use all the gears and the various throttle settings will also assist everything settling in.
First of all a trip up to the top of the Horseshoe Pass to the famous Ponderosa cafe (in a few of my older Ride Reports)....these imposing slate spoil heaps always catch my eye near the top of the pass.

Always check your mirrors!!

The Ponderosa was next for a very pleasant bacon sandwich and a mug of coffee (sorry no photo of those...I was too hungry!).
Then I took the 'secret' and little used 'Old Horseshoe' which drops steeply behind the Ponderosa and avoids the main part of the main Horseshoe Pass because it`s a while since I last rode down this track.

It`s steep downhill all the way but in this next photo I`ve turned the Vespa around to park it securely for a photo looking up towards the top.

After the steep track I rejoined the Horseshoe Pass just above Valle Crucis Abbey and its eponymous camping site.
Here`s the Abbey in its 12th Century glory.

Then into the town of Llangollen to buy some 'Welsh Cakes' for my girlfriend.
I thought the Vespa looked quite at home outside this hotel!

Onwards from Llangollen via Carrog,Corwen and then cross country along tiny lanes to Bala....which led over some lovely old stone bridges like this one here.

A leisurely sandwich and cold drink in Bala and then it was homewards along some more tiny country lanes and back home....but not before I`d passed the lovely Horseshoe Falls waterfall.

That enjoyable bimble put another 120 miles on the little Vespa and it sipped petrol at 95 mpg!
A short report by my normal standard but I hope you liked the photos.
More some other time,maybe.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......

Tarka screwed with this post 03-28-2012 at 11:35 AM
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote