User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #91
PhilzLeads
Goin' mobile

Oddometer: 66
Here's Some Gas

Went to your website, the Paypal Donate button looks fine. I just bought you a tank of gas. If you use it for shots of Tequila, let me know. I spent some time in Guatemala, but not on a bike. Wish I would have kept up w/my Spanish.

Which reminds me, I did see the shot of all of the traffic at the Border crossing, but I would like to know more. You said it was easy. Where did you cross? Did they even check your stuff? Open everything? Are you carrying a camp axe? Knife? Sword? Mace? Do they care? Sorry but I've never done it and for some it may be routine......

My brother has a '97 Funduro, he loves it. As a matter of fact, it came from Mexico, made it to an auction in Atlanta, if memory serves and now resides in PA. He's going to do part of the TAT with it this May.

Ride on...vicarious living here....(now lets see, spanish classes, sell my car, bedroom suite.....hmmmm).......
Yamaha 360(sold) Kaw H2 750(sold) Kaw KZ1000(sold) Ducati 900SS CR(sold)
....and the struggle for the legal tender....
PhilzLeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #92
Desert2202
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
You left her behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorLaTierra View Post

Goodbye Girlfriend.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #93
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 129
Border crossing

Quote:
Which reminds me, I did see the shot of all of the traffic at the Border crossing, but I would like to know more. You said it was easy. Where did you cross? Did they even check your stuff? Open everything? Are you carrying a camp axe? Knife? Sword? Mace? Do they care? Sorry but I've never done it and for some it may be routine......
Yeah about the border crossing at Otay (right next to the big main TJ crossing). I crossed about 10am and it seems to never really get that busy. The picture was of people crossing into the US. Getting to TJ was no problem. The guard stopped me and opened my top case, then closed it and waved me through. My dad did not even put his foot down. South of the border zone keep an eye out for the temporary importation of vehicles checkpoint. $40 US for the permit and $200 deposit, based on the year of your bike. Attendant was very polite and professional. She gave me a receipt and everything. Easy as pie.
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #94
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Mexico is costing me a lot more money than I expected with the crappy gas and cuotas, as much as I try to avoid them but my only guide is a crappy old map. Looking forward to Guatemala. Ive decided to take after BigAlSmith and throw a donation button, never expected but always appreciated. Last year my employer in Bellingham ran away, filed bankruptcy and my last three checks bounced, so I have $1800 less for this trip than I thought.

I have some savings though, its not an adventure if you dont have at least one variable out of control!

I like this one too "Adventure is misfortune recounted as leisure" -Somebody
This guy had something to say on the subject:

"To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea… “cruising” it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

“I’ve always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can’t afford it.” What these men can’t afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of “security.” And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine – and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need – really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in – and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That’s all – in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer?

In choice…!

Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life…?"

- Sterling Hayden

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #95
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
DAMN! that's enough to make a fellow get up and just walk away from it all...
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #96
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,318
Nice work Ryan, good for you to get out there at your age, I know the feeling; at 19 or 20 I got my first job at a ski hill thousands of miles from home with no idea what I was into or where it would lead. It took me 20 years of ski bumming before I found myself getting into something else to do to earn a buck and keep having fun, (that's not a complaint). Work less, live more, you're obviously on the right path. Giv 'er!
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #97
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Just wanted to say, Ryan, that you have an excellent eye when it comes to the pics. Framing is excellent, you clearly think through the shots, you get the balance right, subject matter is rock solid, you capture the essence of the scene and I really dig the flip between color and B&W - nice touch. :). Nice work - and huge thanks for sharing with us.

Stay safe!
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #98
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Keep on riding dude.
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #99
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,188
Thumb Awesome!

Subscribed!
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #100
MVFZ1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
I Quit my job today, I'm tired of my life here, I think I will ride to Panama, then Colombia, then Brazil...

I do not plan to return home, I have some ideas and we will see where I end up.

You are doing the right thing getting out there and seeing the world while young and fit enough to really enjoy it. But coming from one who has been "around the block" a bit and now living in Skagit Valley again, I can confidently say that you will begin to miss Bellingham and the Northwest at some point. It's easy to get disillusioned with the winter cold/damp and the work/bills monotony, but after some time in Latin America (or anywhere outside the NW) you will experience the negatives there too. And there are many which you will find out.

But the important thing is that you will be experiencing them first hand and know what is out there for some perspective. So many people get trapped in their hometown with obligations always wishing they could just go, but 30-40 years go by in a flash and then they find they can't physically handle adventure travel anymore. Too late. So see all you can see, have a blast, and be safe, but I think you will find Bellingham/Northwest will always be "home". May not seem like it now, but you will see what I mean at some point.
MVFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #101
jdfire17
Adventurer

Oddometer: 2
Can't say most of us don't wish we were on an adventure like yours. Great pic's. Looking forward to the next update.
jdfire17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #102
Nc987
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVFZ1 View Post
You are doing the right thing getting out there and seeing the world while young and fit enough to really enjoy it. But coming from one who has been "around the block" a bit and now living in Skagit Valley again, I can confidently say that you will begin to miss Bellingham and the Northwest at some point. It's easy to get disillusioned with the winter cold/damp and the work/bills monotony, but after some time in Latin America (or anywhere outside the NW) you will experience the negatives there too. And there are many which you will find out.

But the important thing is that you will be experiencing them first hand and know what is out there for some perspective. So many people get trapped in their hometown with obligations always wishing they could just go, but 30-40 years go by in a flash and then they find they can't physically handle adventure travel anymore. Too late. So see all you can see, have a blast, and be safe, but I think you will find Bellingham/Northwest will always be "home". May not seem like it now, but you will see what I mean at some point.
From a fellow northwesterner (Bellingham actually) I couldn't agree more. Well said.
Nc987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #103
Tightline
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Great quote from Sterling Hayden!

I'm buying the book and riding more!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #104
LS650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
I Quit my job today, I'm tired of my life here, I think I will ride to ....
I've been thinking along the same lines myself a lot lately. I think I will subscribe to this RR....
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #105
tah1800
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I'm in.

All gassed up. Let's go Ryan.

tah1800 is offline   Reply With Quote