User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
lockyv7 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Got an answer back from Siebenrock that there system weighs in at 6KG
Just need to find the weight of the origonal system now.
lockyv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
lockyv7 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got an answer over at UKGSer that the standard 100GS exhaust system is between 13 - 15kg if thats right i can save between 7 and 9kg by fitting the Steblerock setup. Fit a different starter and battery and i could trim off up to 10kg.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockyv7 View Post
Got an answer over at UKGSer that the standard 100GS exhaust system is between 13 - 15kg if thats right i can save between 7 and 9kg by fitting the Steblerock setup. Fit a different starter and battery and i could trim off up to 10kg.
..but that's not right. The weights are all in the parts fiche and usually pretty accurate. The stock system on a GS should weigh 21 lbs or about 9.5 kg.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #19
lockyv7 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
..but that's not right. The weights are all in the parts fiche and usually pretty accurate. The stock system on a GS should weigh 21 lbs or about 9.5 kg.
Thats all i wanted to know, if its 21lb or 9.5kg than thats fine. I googled r100gs parts fiche and looked at 5 and there were either no weights or they were such poor quality you couldnt read them. Some one now has been kind enough to point me in the right direction of what one to use in future , MAX BMW site.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #20
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,585
Quote:
Starter and battery will save you about 4.5kg - bit more with a lithium battery
Old 03-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #21
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,341
on the subject of weight trimming:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=456
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=457

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #22
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,029
Locky, just as a FYI, the full Siebenrock system is 5.6kgs as stated in this site , compared to AW's estimation of the stock systems 9.5kgs from parts fiches.

Cigars & Scotch, what's the Seibenrock System like (quality, ease of fitting, sound, & riding)?

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 01:28 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:52 AM   #23
lockyv7 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Box-a , i ended up e-mailing Siebenrock and they got back to me with the 5.6kg.
I have picked up a stainless 100mm round can 420mm long that i will use for now then go with a set of stainless headers and 'Y' pipe from moto-bins i think. For now i have been doing all the oils, cleaning, ordering service parts, had to clean and seal the tank. Got a new solo sear and PD rear rack now am building panniers and pannier frames. next thing to make is the new better side stand and i may machine up a alloy shift leaver. I have new led tail light and blinkers coming that i will try and fit into some hand guards. I will price up some alloy stock and may machine up a sump extenion to get a bit more oil in there with out the oil cooler.
No big hurry.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #24
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,029
Quote:
Then go with a set of stainless headers and 'Y' pipe from moto-bins i think.
If you do go with a Y pipe, this seems to be the pick of them. Many of the others are poorly formed wrt gas flows, ie pipes joined at a 'T', unequal length headers etc.

I'm looking at stainless headers, but would prefer ones with the cross pipe for better bottom end, possibly that Y pipe (or a NZ equivalent), and eventually a NZ mid pipe joined to a GSXR exhaust can. But still looking around. My left header has a hole in it & is too stuffed to weld.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #25
lockyv7 OP
Beastly Adventurer

You could do some real damage to your wallet at that Motoren-Israel site, i am thinking along the same lines with the exhaust as you, i am not game to remove the headers or collector as it looks like it may just fall apart if i started moving things its still the original system but it has no leaks so for now i will just replace the muffler with this can i found that is like a gsxr muffler but a little shorter then work backwards.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #26
Bulldust
Bulldust

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
You could do some real damage to your wallet at that Motoren-Israel site, i am thinking along the same lines with the exhaust as you, i am not game to remove the headers or collector as it looks like it may just fall apart if i started moving things its still the original system but it has no leaks so for now i will just replace the muffler with this can i found that is like a gsxr muffler but a little shorter then work backwards.
Put a Keihan Headers & Y peice on my 1996, 1070 Super R100GSPD (1070 seibenrock long rod kit, early model S heads with larger valves, twin plugged, 450 watt alternator, Nippondenso Starter, 5% lower 1st gear, 5% higher top gear etc) as well as my 1990 R100GS, twin plugged modded gearbox etc, and can report no loss of low end torque. (Work done by Ray Peake)

In fact the 1070 puts out about 90hp at the rear wheel and pulls over redline in top gear (5% higher top gear too), pulls through 200kph like no boxer I have ever ridden, next time you are in Brisbane drop in and have a look/ride.

John Olive
Bulldust is offline   Reply With Quote