ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #16
Jumpjim
New GS owner!

Oddometer: 7
Does anyone know if you can import GPX files into the latest iPhone version of streetpilot? I'm planning a long'ish tour on my mac and would like to be able to upload the GPX files to the iphone software if possible....
Jumpjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpjim View Post
Does anyone know if you can import GPX files into the latest iPhone version of streetpilot? I'm planning a long'ish tour on my mac and would like to be able to upload the GPX files to the iphone software if possible....
Non of the Garmin iOS applications support GPX data - great apps, eh?! It appears that Garmin has gone out of their way to make these apps as useless as possible but still look-like a real GPS application.

You'd be better off with MotionX GPS & MotionX Drive.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #18
Euskadi
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I don't understand why you keep referring to "Basecamp (Mapsource)"? They are two very different tools optimized for two different generations of gps. There is a BaseCamp for PC Windows too. It's not a Mac only application.

That being said, I have not heard of anything like BaseCamp on the iPad.
Basecamp AND mapsource, they will work with any GARMIN that syn, they are not for two different generation of gps. Base camp it is much more deep then mapsource. I do have the to programs on my loptop.
Regards
Euskadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskadi View Post
Basecamp AND mapsource, they will work with any GARMIN that syn, they are not for two different generation of gps.
I didn't say they would not work; I said each program is optimized for different generations of gps. Basecamp has features which really work well with Montana/62/78/Oregons, and Mapsource works better with the 60/76CSx series.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #20
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
.....each program is optimized for different generations of gps. Basecamp has features which really work well with Montana/62/78/Oregons, and Mapsource works better with the 60/76CSx series.
You are correct!

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:09 AM   #21
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Let's revive this!

I'm kind of in teh market for the same stuff.
I'm planning a trip and a lot of routes for my Zumo.
I would like to be able to edit them (split, add waypoints, redirect) them on teh road with my (new lightweight) iPad Air.
Data transfer and connectivity should not be an issue with an SD Card reader attached to the iPad, right?
Schussboelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #22
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schussboelie View Post
Let's revive this!

I would like to be able to edit them (split, add waypoints, redirect) them on teh road with my (new lightweight) iPad Air.
Data transfer and connectivity should not be an issue with an SD Card reader attached to the iPad, right?
Unless Apple released the restriction on the SD card reader, then all you really get to do is get pictures off the card. It will not behave as an external drive.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:17 AM   #23
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Right. Crap.
Schussboelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #24
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,599
Quote:
Let's revive this!

I guess it'll depend on which Zumo you've got. I have a 550 and it can do some of the things you want like redirecting the route to a feature such as a fuel stop. So, with that feature, you can also add in a waypoint to the route. Only one danger using that feature is that the rest of the route gets recalculated according to the avoidances on the Zumo and not the settings on your PC on which you (probably) created the route. However it's easy just to start up the original route again.
I don't understand why you'd want to split a route.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #25
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Let's revive this!

Just use a portable Wi-Fi SD Card Reader.

But, that won't solve the BaseCamp issue. Garmin could easily put the real BaseCamp (not BaseCamp Mobile) on iOS for iPad. But, they missed the mark badly early on in the mobile market with the GarminFone and are now very much focused on short term profitability from what I can see - not that profitability is a bad thing when your PND market is shrinking.

These days they just seem to be throwing one misfire after another at iOS and Android. If I were Cliff Pemble, I would reorganize the PND group and put someone in there that comes from the real mobile world give them some room to run. Garmin has all of the components to make a big hit in the iOS/Android market but they are not going to get there with there current management. JMPO

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #26
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

But, that won't solve the BaseCamp issue. Garmin could easily put the real BaseCamp (not BaseCamp Mobile) on iOS for iPad. But, they missed the mark badly early on in the mobile market with the GarminFone and are now very much focused on short term profitability from what I can see - not that profitability is a bad thing when your PND market is shrinking.

These days they just seem to be throwing one misfire after another at iOS and Android. If I were Cliff Pemble, I would reorganize the PND group and put someone in there that comes from the real mobile world give them some room to run. Garmin has all of the components to make a big hit in the iOS/Android market but they are not going to get there with there current management. JMPO

It seems Garmin is/has become like Blackberry.......nothing really new or modern in many years. My guess is that in a few years standalone GPS units will be few and far between. Take the Montana now add XM, Spot or similar, WIFI/cellular with the ability to use droid/ios apps, real time weather/radar via XM or cellular, have it not take years to get the bugs worked out and that would make for a modern GPS unit.

mpatch screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 09:55 AM
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #27
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
How does this work? The iPad will just come up and say it does not recognize the device. I went through this with my iPad I, and looked at reviews this morning which still said the same thing - Apple has crippled the port so that you can't just add sd card readers even though they do connect physically.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #28
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
How does this work? The iPad will just come up and say it does not recognize the device. I went through this with my iPad I, and looked at reviews this morning which still said the same thing - Apple has crippled the port so that you can't just add sd card readers even though they do connect physically.
Most Wi-Fi Storage device's are basically a Wi-Fi FTP Site and broadcasts it's address. I transfer files between my iOS devices and Wi-Fi HD's all the time when I'm on the road. I had a Wi-Fi Card Reader that worked just fine with my iPhone 5 when it ran iOS6 but wasn't using it and gave it away since the size of the Wi-Fi Solid State Drive's increased.

I can't address issues with specific iPad or iOS versions. There's nothing that I've found that inhibits the transfer of data using WiFi. The right application and storage device helps.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #29
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Most Wi-Fi Storage device's are basically a Wi-Fi FTP Site and broadcasts it's address. I transfer files between my iOS devices and Wi-Fi HD's all the time when I'm on the road. I had a Wi-Fi Card Reader that worked just fine with my iPhone 5 when it ran iOS6 but wasn't using it and gave it away since the size of the Wi-Fi Solid State Drive's increased.

I can't address issues with specific iPad or iOS versions. There's nothing that I've found that inhibits the transfer of data using WiFi. The right application and storage device helps.
Sorry, missed the WiFi part. That does work for some applications.