With soft turning of the bolts the engine half will go open

If you do it, do a proper job!

Good luck!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #2792
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Thanks Brunow,

I think you've just confirmed my underlying thoughts; that it's a big job, needing to be done properly, with the right tools, and given that nothing seems to be wrong with the bottom end at the current time then it seems to be an unnecessary exposure to headfuck.

I think then I'll get her back together, ride her, and if she lasts another 5000 kays then so be it. If she last another 30,000 then even better. And if the bottom end does go, then I can do it knowing that it needs to be done.

It's not helped that even with the right attachment we can't get the clutch bolt off. It seems to have been glued on with kryptonite and needs a monkey bigger than any I know to get it to slacken off.

nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:56 AM   #2793
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,187
Reverse thread?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #2794
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, wondered that. Going to consult the workshop manual and revisit.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #2795
vwnate1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Thumb Jolly Good !

I'm please you've decided to lear the Mechanical part of CT ownership Nathan ~

It $aves BIG $ in the long run .

FWIW , your piston is far better than most I take out of old CT's ~ most have longitudal scuff marks from partial siezing , or as we call it In The Trade , " Binding up " . this piston is the bext explanation of why it's so important to do regular routine oil changes .

Carry on then , please keep posting pictures ! .
vwnate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #2796
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah it certainly looks like she's been most approving of the 1500 kilometre oil changes I gave her. I don't know what I imagined when I took the engine covers off, well, actually I do, it was an assemble of battered and rusting mechanical components, but actually, all that oil does a great job of keeping it all looking brand new.

As for the power loss towards the end; it can only have been a combination of shit petrol (80 Ron in Kazakhstan), general fatigue and valve clearance being too tight. Or maybe I imagined it.

I've just got to order the parts from Joe, source a new o-ring chain (gold again) and then stick her back together. I've got a speaking event on the 18th April which I'd like her ready for. So that's the deadline. It's in Edwinstowe, Notts, if anyone's about.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #2797
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

You need to frame that old toothbrush.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #2798
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

I've cleaned it up and got in the box of bits to go back on. I thought I'd refit it just for the sake of it. Same with the shoelace holding the headlight bracket together.

It was actually quite emotional knocking out the old sump plug. It'd been held in with the plastic metal all the way from Kyrgyzstan, and then the other day I flipped the engine over on its head and took a hammer and chisel and knocked it all off. Good job we put that there. The thread glue I'd used hadn't held and without the plastic metal scarf the oil leaked out.

He's made a good job of the helicoil.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #2799
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman View Post
I've cleaned it up and got in the box of bits to go back on. I thought I'd refit it just for the sake of it. Same with the shoelace holding the headlight bracket together.
I like it,but I'd be afraid of losing it.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #2800
MrBob
Welcome to Medicare

Oddometer: 7,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman View Post
Can I ask the advice of the forum?

On one hand I've got people telling me to split the crank, to investigate the main bearing and the gears. On the other I've got people saying that just leave it as. 'If it ain't broke don't fix it.'

My natural inclination is to leave it, as I fear it'll cause more problems than it'll solve by splitting it. (not least me and my dad killing each other)

What would you do?

(based on me wanting Dot to run a good few more years)
If you can leave it and not worry about it, life will be simpler. If you don't split the cases but always have little doubts about the bearings in the back of your mind, then you'll need to get after them. It's as much about your thought process as it is about mechanical wear.
Once you've held a piston in your hands and later listened to it pumping away in an engine you've assembled you enter a special branch of our species. My first one was an International Harvester 6 cylinder.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #2801
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Cheers Mr Bob, good advice.

I think I've realised that if something needs fixing then my heart is in it. And I go all out. But if something doesn't need fixing I lack conviction and so pulling it down would most probably leave me staring at a pile of bits wondering what the buggery I've just done. And so option A; it'd be simpler just to leave it and fix it if/when broke.

Clarity.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #2802
platypus121
CT.110 NZ

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
It's as much about your thought process as it is about mechanical wear.
Ain't that the truth!!

Seems to me that we all have a "mechanical threshold", a point at which we flip from thinking everything is fine to thinking that something is wrong with an engine.

Not sure whether it's a curse or a blessing, but my threshold is very low - the least bit of unusual noise and I want to check it out.
Often this has meant a lot of unnecessary work and expense.

Into the realms of touch-feely new age stuff - anyone else noticed a relationship between attitude and mechanical performance?
Worry over every possible fault and faults will develop, but believe it's working fine and it will work fine.
BigZoner #096 (English Chapter)
"Keep brotherhood till die"
platypus121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #2803
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

As I sat and contemplated the inner workings of Dot this afternoon and how marvellous it is that all of those components work so perfectly, I couldn't help but conclude that somewhere down the line some love went in to the design of that engine. And indeed from love must come karma and as karma could be seen as being of our creation then I'm with you Platypus; good vibes can power an engine. Though I was sniffing fumes from the petrol tank at the same time so maybe it was that.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #2804
Brunow - 007
Bantam Fever

Oddometer: 308
If you start like that you should read the: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Quote:
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
In Brief
A road trip from Minnesota to California becomes Pirsig's reluctant journey into his own troubled past. This defining philosophical exploration is about the fundamental divisions in the way we think, about the attitudes of the Zen-trained mind, and of course a little bit about motorcycles. Why you should read it
This enthralling book really is for everyone, even those without the slightest interest in engines or gearboxes. Its subject is neither Zen nor motorcycle maintenance, but something much more universal, essential and human: the way we think.

Ps: I ordered your book so fix your dot with the profit!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #2805
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Good stuff nate/dot, just about to start splitting an XT350 ive just bought so im with you on how much to do

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote