ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #46
bikyto OP
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,140
Actually, I only removed the bottom brackets held by the 4 bolts that meet the transport plate. And it slides right in. I didn't touch the attachment points.

See the pix below:

__________________
The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself...
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #47
ktm950se
Banned
 
ktm950se's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 1,385
Those brackets you removed are what the Red Hook Strap - 8' is supposed to be connected to when you're winching, and as directed in the winch manual (stated below) correct?

The RED strap must be used to attach the winch to the vehicle. Attach one end of the RED strapto one side of the mounting plate. Route the strap around the vehicle frame and back to the other side of the mounting plate.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #48
bikyto OP
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,140
Ok I understand the confusion.
I do not use the red strap with the two bulky carabiners provided (three total). I've changed those to smaller, lighter (and probably stronger) climbing ones. They fit through the holes left by removing the two plates (as seen in the picture above).

Basically, the same effect as the position/attachment points are moved closer to the winch by the height of the said plates. Instead of using the holes in the plates, you use the holes directly onto the winch frame.

I was using the two plates (pictured above) for the transport plate. Now I will use the tool box for transport but you can still attach the winch to the transport plate as it was initially meant to (with a small mod but I won't get into it since it's about fitting the winch in the tool box).

Sorry for the confusion. I don't have access to my laptop... All done from a "smart" phone. Not easy to work with.

P.s. I'm gonna stop answering from this stupid phone and its "auto-correct". Tired of having to edit the post.
__________________
The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself...

bikyto screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 01:59 PM
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #49
cjracer
AWD please!!
 
cjracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Ok I understand the confusion.
I do not use the red strap with the two bulky carabiners provided (three total). I've changed those to smaller, lighter (and probably stronger) climbing ones. They fit through the holes left by removing the two plates (as seen in the picture above).

Basically, the same effect as the position/attachment points are moved closer to the winch by the height of the said plates. Instead of using the holes in the plates, you use the holes directly onto the winch frame.

I was using the two plates (pictured above) for the transport plate. Now I will use the tool box for transport but you can still attach the winch to the transport plate as it was initially meant to (with a small mod but I won't get into it since it's about fitting the winch in the tool box).

Sorry for the confusion. I don't have access to my laptop... All done from a "smart" phone. Not easy to work with.

P.s. I'm gonna stop answering from this stupid phone and its "auto-correct". Tired of having to edit the post.
Thanks for the update Chris, I kind of thought that was what you were doing, just didn't test it in person yet.

I'm going to pull these of my winch here and test my rigging gear in that hole setup. I've got some nice rigging kits that we use in the field that I hope to offer up soon. Should save a few lbs over the heavy steel stuff.
__________________
My 2006 950S thread. 2006 950s update
New product updates here! Wordpress BLOG
click www.cjdesignsllc.com for the full line of products. FREE STUFF!!
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #50
bikyto OP
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Thanks for the update Chris, I kind of thought that was what you were doing, just didn't test it in person yet.

I'm going to pull these of my winch here and test my rigging gear in that hole setup. I've got some nice rigging kits that we use in the field that I hope to offer up soon. Should save a few lbs over the heavy steel stuff.
I look forward to trying your kit (I find the red strap a bit short as well)
__________________
The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself...
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #51
ktm950se
Banned
 
ktm950se's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 1,385
With the 2 plates removed, would the holes used to attach the strap's carabiners, or any carabiner for that matter, have the same structural integrity as when the plates are attached.
It sounds/looks like when the plates are attached each carabiner is pulling on 2 bolts/holes of the winch's frame, but with the plates removed you would only be feeding each carabiner through a single hole in the winch's frame.

Is this correct? If so, can each hole handle the load?

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #52
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: West Nebraska
Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
With the 2 plates removed, would the holes used to attach the strap's carabiners, or any carabiner for that matter, have the same structural integrity as when the plates are attached.
It sounds/looks like when the plates are attached each carabiner is pulling on 2 bolts/holes of the winch's frame, but with the plates removed you would only be feeding each carabiner through a single hole in the winch's frame.

Is this correct? If so, can each hole handle the load?

ktm950se
That was my first thought. It looks like you could cut the ears off those brackets and bolt them back on with one bolt, while leaving the other bolt hole open to shackle to, or make up a new bracket out of plate, effectively strengthening the one bolt hole it would be pulling on. Not quite as good as the plate bolted with two bolts, but I bet you could dead lift a fully laden GSA with rider and pillion without coming close to the shear strength of the total of two Grade 8 bolts (instead of 4) you would be pulling on. "what about shock loading?" I hear you ask. I say that is the makings of a good story for the grand kids about how you lost your left pinky. There's a lot to lose by making things too safe.
__________________
2009 KTM Adventure
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #53
SierraJeep
It's toast
 
SierraJeep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Nevada City, CA
Oddometer: 627
This may have been a very expensive thread for me here. Damn you all...

I really like this tool box idea as it'd fit all of the stuff I currently carry in my tank bag (front and rear tubes, tire irons, a few tools I use regularly, a spiderweb bungee, shop rags, etc.) and it'd fit my compressor that I stuff under my seat (still in it's stock plastic housing because of its built-in tire gauge). This summer I'm planning a two-week trip and I'd like to organize my on-board kit a little better and use the tank bag for other essentials.

So now in addition to the tool box, I have to hunt down a good 2-into-1 system (thinking BDCW ss), a new exhaust (thinking Remus Roxx Ti). The screeming sound you're hearing from my ass is the sound of my credit card in my wallet... Damn you all, again!
__________________
Tod

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #54
bikyto OP
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
This may have been a very expensive thread for me here. Damn you all...
you're welcome!
__________________
The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself...
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #55
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11
 
FINNDIAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Wawa, ont, Canada
Oddometer: 1,739
tested tough

I can attest to the toughness of this box. this past weekend I completed one of the toughest one day enduro events there are. rallyconnex.com puts on the Dacre challenge in Ontario Canada. approx 800km with a large portion being very tough to impossible terrain. Cjdesigns box stood up to the test of 17 hours of crashes get offs and abuse and completed the event attached to the first 950 adventure to complete this small bike course with only minor dents and scratches. thanks Craig.

__________________
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports

FINNDIAN screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 06:52 PM
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #56
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: West Nebraska
Oddometer: 969
Craig

(or anyone else...) did you ever check the fit with Jesse racks?
__________________
2009 KTM Adventure
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #57
cjracer
AWD please!!
 
cjracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
(or anyone else...) did you ever check the fit with Jesse racks?
Not yet,

One local rider has the Jessies, but I can't rip his pipes off just to test it. Until he gets a 2-1, I'm out of luck. By looking at it, it should fit, but the back cross support bar might be a bit too high and not give a straight shot into the box like the OEM racks. Nothing I can change on the BOX to fix that.

If anyone in the US would like to try, please let me know. I'll work something out with you.
__________________
My 2006 950S thread. 2006 950s update
New product updates here! Wordpress BLOG
click www.cjdesignsllc.com for the full line of products. FREE STUFF!!
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #58
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated
 
Narsisco Lopez's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Golden (Showers), Colorado
Oddometer: 2,207
If someone in the Denver/Boulder area has a set of Jesse Cases, we can toss them on my bike as a test once I get my ESB from CJ's powder coater. Anyone?
__________________
FYYFF!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtpUv4VBDhA
Bikes: 2013 BMW K1600GT
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #59
Nailhead
Painting by numbers
 
Nailhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 6,128
That's a neat idea doubtless well executed, but that space is where my essential additional fuel goes.
__________________
-Chris


'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #60
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: West Nebraska
Oddometer: 969
Craig, the rear cross brace is not a big deal...my worry was that the way the lower section of the rack that tucks in close to the wheel would interfere.

Nail...it was my intent to use that space for fuel, but the adventure tank won't fit and anything I custom build will be less than 2 gallons. Too much work for too little benefit. I am looking into a ~6g tank for the inside of my Pelican case. Quick disconnect for when I need the luggage space. Not carrying a pillion so I think the weight will be manageable.
__________________
2009 KTM Adventure
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014